Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talk me out of getting a Nord Stage 3 Compact...

I play in a lot of different kinds of bands, from Hard Rock, Folk, Indie, Jazz, my own Piano-oriented Prog pop group. I've also been juggling WAY too many boards: Mojo61, various simple stage pianos, MainStage rig, PolyD, it's kinda nuts. I have a different rig for each band and rehearsal. I love my Mojo for organs and Rhodes, but it's AP is AWFUL. The MainStage rig sounds fantastic, but the performance aspect leaves me cold, and it's a pain to setup and slow to program around. At my level and frequency of playing, I really just need to get "one board to rule them all". I have no interest in a workstation, I have a nicely decked-out studio, so I'm only interested in live. I want hands on keys, hands on drawbars, hands on knobs. From where I sit, Nord is the only option, everything else is just skirting around the issue. Korg SV2 excites me, but no drawbars and crap for synths.

So then it comes down to Stage3 88 or Stage3 Compact. I used to hate unweighted boards, being 50% a piano man, but the Mojo61 has changed my mind, I find the action incredibly usable for piano material. I also spend a fair amount of time on the B3, and I want physical drawbars. I'm also rarely playing precision classical, more rock, jazz, and blues, where a little grunge is welcome. The problem is, the moment I read reviews of the Stage3 Compact, people say "I love this synth, but the action is not suitable for piano".

I guess it comes down to this: is it the same Fatar waterfall bed used in the Mojo61? If so, I'm sold. Are long-time pianists just being snobbish about the unweighted board, or is it really subpar?

Any other insights would be appreciated.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

24 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

I guess it comes down to this: is it the same Fatar waterfall bed used in the Mojo61? Are long-time pianists just being snobbish about the unweighted board, or is it really subpar?

The Compact 73 has the same Fatar keys, but the springs have a higher tension.  If you can get some alternative springs from Syntaur (https://syntaur.com/Part-PC3KC-Kurzweil-PC3-key-spring-kit) and swap them over you'll be happy, if not YMMV, definitely play it before shelling out those $$$$.  The action in the Compact 76 has a reputation for being rubbish, and that model has draw-buttons instead of drawbar-faders.

• Thanks 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Absolutely no interest in the 76, I keep hearing how mediocre the action is, and it seems like the worst of both worlds. Great info on the springs! I’m sure it’s a bit of a chore to do, but prolly worth it. That said, higher tension springs might be better for piano!

we’ll see if there’s any NS3c’s in the State (Alaska). I’m going down to Anchorage next week, I’ll check the guitar center and local shop to see if they have one by any chance. I’d love to get my hands on one first, for sure. Not sure if that’s possible.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

The biggest shortcoming of the S3C is the split and layering capability. It is better than previous Nords but still seriously limited by most standards. If this isn't a concern then it is a good reliable live performance instrument with more hands-on control than most other keyboards. Good luck finding a dealer with one in stock anywhere let alone Alaska.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

It's a great board - but the action is much springier than I like. I find it harder than most unweighted actions for playing AP's with any sort of refined dynamics. For reference, the SK Pro action is much better, even my MODX7 is a bit better, just on the light side. To me, AP's are one of Nord's strengths these days, so I wouldn't see the point in not taking advantage of that with a better action.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The Nord Stage 3 Compact ist great - and I have no problem playing piano on its action.

But: it seems that the release of a new model (Stage 4 or Stage 3 EX) is imminent...here in Europe no dealer has any NS3s in stock and the NS3 88 is "discontinued" at Thomann...

What about Yamaha YC73? As an owner of a Nord Stage 2 and a Nord Electro 5, which i still love, for me the YC is the perfect lightweight and small all-in-one gigging board. 

• Like 1

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

@EricBarkerit sounds like you're convinced about the Nord Stage 3 - it's a question of "73 waterfall vs 88 hammer", is that correct?

If so - yeah the springs on the 73 are a bit tight, but I've learned to cope, certainly for jazz and blues. (I wouldn't try Chopin on it). The Syntaur swap has been recommended by others here as well. 

And you're right - nothing does "all-in-one" quite as well as Nord, despite its many shortcomings.

Cheers, Mike

I’m reading up on the Yammy YC73… it does look like an interesting contender but I’d probably go for the 61 or the 88, the 73 looks to be in no-man’s-land compared to the NS3 73. Sadly, I’m reading that the organ and Leslie are pretty lacking. Coming from the Mojo61, I don’t want to immediately start yearning for my other board during organ-heavy gigs.

I’ve learned a lot from reading around and your comments. Thanks all. I’m not sure how much to hope for an NS4 this year, but it seams to be worth holding out a few months to see if they drop some news, tho I’d like to gear up before the spring gigs start coming in hard and fast.

Not sure what to make of your supply chain comments. I’m seeing all models at Sweetwater, and my live sound engineer just got one in with no problem. I’m guessing this concern is limited to smaller sellers like Thomann and regional stores?

26 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

I’m reading up on the Yammy YC73… it does look like an interesting contender but I’d probably go for the 61 or the 88, the 73 looks to be in no-man’s-land compared to the NS3 73. Sadly, I’m reading that the organ and Leslie are pretty lacking.

Not sure what to make of your supply chain comments. I’m seeing all models at Sweetwater, and my live sound engineer just got one in with no problem. I’m guessing this concern is limited to smaller sellers like Thomann and regional stores?

The YC organ tone is really good, the Leslie effect on the YC has been updated and is now much, much better, check Youtube for examples, it's still not Mojo/Hammond/HX3 quality but then neither is the Nord. 

All the Nord Stage 3 models are out of stock across Australia, but I don't know if it's a supply issue or if they're being phased out with a new model on the way.

I think when it comes to organ and electric pianos you're likely to find that the Nord and the YC are a step down from your Mojo (imo when it comes to electric pianos it and the SV2 are the best available short of the real thing), so it may be a matter of taste and how much compromise you can deal with. The Nord's synth section is far more capable.  Acoustic piano sounds on both are some of the best around.

In your position I'd go 2 boards to rule them all, keep the Mojo and get something for piano and synth, which would bring me back to ... the Nord Stage 3 🤣

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

That’s always an option! Mojo + Nord Stage would be exquisite, and not out of the question for larger gigs, but I’m sick of hauling everything around for every rehearsal.

I tried playing AP on my Mojo last week in a band where I usually play EP/organ… and I was miserable. It’s just so foul! It makes my old Alesis QS piano sound gorgeous, which I would never say in a million years. I’ve thought of augmenting the Mojo with an iPad AP/synth and using a pedal to toggle outputs. But then I’m back to complex setup again, even if it doesn’t break my back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WestHarp said:

But: it seems that the release of a new model (Stage 4 or Stage 3 EX) is imminent...here in Europe no dealer has any NS3s in stock and the NS3 88 is "discontinued" at Thomann...

New models of the Nord Stage (not counting the EX models that were relatively minor updates) have previously been released every 6 years, and with the Stage 3 coming out in 2017 I guess there's a chance we might see a Stage 4 this year, there's speculation and some wishlisting here: https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage-forum-f3/nord-stage-4-t21484.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niacin said:

I think when it comes to organ and electric pianos you're likely to find that the Nord and the YC are a step down from your Mojo (imo when it comes to electric pianos it and the SV2 are the best available short of the real thing), so it may be a matter of taste and how much compromise you can deal with.

I have played all of them, and even in comparison to Nord, Korg SV2 and Mojo, i like the Rhodes-sample „Rd78“ on the Yamaha YC the most. 

• Like 1

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

I never like Nord. I had two, the first stage and the electro 3. Poor built quality. I changed 2 stage because the keys rattled. The biggest problem was the connection of the keyboard with the sound. They put fatar keybeds but all the other companies that put Fatar has better keyboard action...I cannot explain it...

I have friends that send back many times their Nords with problems. I had a Kurzweil K2661 from 2004 and I never had a problem...

I like better Kurzweil and Yamaha sound...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

9 hours ago, niacin said:

The action in the Compact 76 has a reputation for being rubbish, and that model has draw-buttons instead of drawbar-faders.

The "compact" is the 73-key version. The 76-key version is the "HP76". 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

42 minutes ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I never like Nord. I had two, the first stage and the electro 3. Poor built quality. I changed 2 stage because the keys rattled. The biggest problem was the connection of the keyboard with the sound. They put fatar keybeds but all the other companies that put Fatar has better keyboard action...I cannot explain it...

I have friends that send back many times their Nords with problems. I had a Kurzweil K2661 from 2004 and I never had a problem...

I like better Kurzweil and Yamaha sound...

My 2005 Nord Electro 2 has NEVER (!) failed me in hundreds of gigs and being thrown around by less-than-careful backliners. It's been mostly retired since 2017 (keeping it for the wah Clav/distortion), and the side panels are wobbly because it lost a couple screws years ago, but it's been utterly solid. 

The 2014 Stage 2 compact had absolutely zero issues before I sold it in 2017 to buy a Stage 3 (because drawbars!)

The 2017 Stage 3 compact had the initial-run issue where the pitch bend/mod wheel assembly plug would slip off the socket on the logic board. Got that fixed in five minutes, and since then I've had two keys that needed cleaning last year. One of the knobs has been occasionally slipping off the post recently. That's it. 

FWIW. 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Big Nord fan here, I have two NS3Cs.  I do not play piano-oriented material on their unweighted keybeds -- but I could! -- preferring a weighted controller.  My "slick rig" is a NS3 set up so panel A is the top board (organs, synths, horns, etc.) and panel B is the bottom board (AP, EP, etc.).   While some may want to do more with splits and layers, I am more than happy.  Two short slabs, one midi cable, two outputs -- I'm good!

I will admit it took a while to come up with very satisfying organ sounds, but I'm there now.  The APs have always been brilliant, the EPs very workable.  Enough synth and samples to fake your way through a horn or string part and not suck.  Throw in great build quality, simple workflow, great community, resale value, etc. and it gets pretty compelling.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

1 hour ago, analogika said:

My 2005 Nord Electro 2 has NEVER (!) failed me in hundreds of gigs and being thrown around by less-than-careful backliners. It's been mostly retired since 2017 (keeping it for the wah Clav/distortion), and the side panels are wobbly because it lost a couple screws years ago, but it's been utterly solid. 

The 2014 Stage 2 compact had absolutely zero issues before I sold it in 2017 to buy a Stage 3 (because drawbars!)

The 2017 Stage 3 compact had the initial-run issue where the pitch bend/mod wheel assembly plug would slip off the socket on the logic board. Got that fixed in five minutes, and since then I've had two keys that needed cleaning last year. One of the knobs has been occasionally slipping off the post recently. That's it. 

FWIW. 

So Nord maybe send their b-stock in Greece...😉

• Haha 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

2 minutes ago, UnderGroundGr said:

So Nord maybe send their b-stock in Greece...😉

My experience is identical to @analogika and the others over on the Nord User Forum.  These boards are built like (western) tanks.  The only reason mine go to the shop is (a) I've dropped one and a few keys have physically broken, case is dented, etc. or (b) the front panel switches get encrusted with crud after years of playing.

I can't speak to your personal experience, but I will say it's objectively a minority perspective.

• Like 2

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

13 minutes ago, cphollis said:

My experience is identical to @analogika and the others over on the Nord User Forum.  These boards are built like (western) tanks.  The only reason mine go to the shop is (a) I've dropped one and a few keys have physically broken, case is dented, etc. or (b) the front panel switches get encrusted with crud after years of playing.

I can't speak to your personal experience, but I will say it's objectively a minority perspective.

Unfortunately it is not my personal experience but also the experience of many professional artist, friends of mine, here in Greece...

Low built quality and many problems with service both here in Greece and Nord Sweden...

Can you tell me which from the top keyboard players play with Nord? Not too many I believe...🙂

11 hours ago, EricBarker said:

I guess it comes down to this: is it the same Fatar waterfall bed used in the Mojo61? If so, I'm sold. Are long-time pianists just being snobbish about the unweighted board, or is it really subpar?

Any other insights would be appreciated.

You are a very accomplished and technically adept keyboardist, Eric. I would sit with the Nord and see if you can make it sing. 

The “one board” siren is always calling to us. Only you can decide if any compromises are worth it. 

I have the E5D73, which has a similar action, and have used it since it was first introduced as a single board rig for rock / cover bands. In this setting, I found the action satisfactory for AP, EP, B3, samples. As I approach retirement from my day job, I am spending more time working on my technique and the 5D isn’t cutting it for pianos or B3. I have thought about changing the springs, though, to improve its action for B3. 

Personal taste!

I've owned the NS3 & the feel is springy or "spongey" no connection. I went through the usual line up of top tier boards (Korg Kronos still a fav for general cover band needs) and the YC88 not only talked to me but pulled me in. The feel is about the best I've come across & feel is my first box I tick, then sound, etc.  I connect with it & it covers all bread & butter sounds...

personal taste.  

• Like 1
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

3 hours ago, analogika said:

FWIW. 

I too have never had a problem with my Electro 5D.  In fact, as we were packing up after one show, a sound/light guy knocked over a light rig, which hit (among other things) my Nord, sending it flying off the stand. 😬 I thought it was a goner. After I got it home, I found that it worked perfectly and had no damage other than some small gouges on the side panel. I couldn’t believe it. 

You cannot go wrong with a Stage 3 Compact.  Plus, it only weighs 20 pounds.  Even if they announce the Stage 4 this April, it will be months before it is available to purchase. I have used the Stage 2 and Stage 3 compacts since 2012 and they were the best instrument purchases I have ever made.  Plus, resale value of Nords is higher than any other brand in my experience-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

You want to be talked out of it? Sure, i'll give it a go:  It's a silly red, Fisher-Price toy looking keyboard, that cost almost as much as a used car, isn't fun to play piano on, and will not change your live audience's opinion of you one iota other than perhaps them noticing something red.  how's that? ;)  (i kid)

• Like 1