Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which one to keep? Grandstage or Rd88

My ears are just exhausted now from hours comparing the two. I'd Ike to sell one

I like the feel of the Rd 88 better. I think Iike the acoustic pianos better. And I like the synth pads better.

The Grandstage seems to have a much better Wurly!! I love the Wurly in general (more than the Rhodes) and can't quite match the sound with the rd88. I think the brass on the Grandstage is better too and we use it for Spanish Moon.

My ears are spent now, so here I am looking for feedback from you all. 

FYI...

My Grandstage is a 73, rd88 is obviously 88 and I have an Skpro61 (which I'm keeping) on top.

TIA

Especially since each has sounds you prefer, I'd say that if you like the feel of the RD88 better, I'd lean that way. You can always add a better Wurli sound to it (from an iPad or whatever), but you can never make the Grandstage feel better than it does.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

try playing the SKpro’s wurli from the RD88 via midi, see if you can tweak the wurli sound on the SKpro to something you’re happy with, there’s plenty of editing options and the basic sound is quite good

• Like 2

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I liked my GrandStage 73 a lot, but found it too limited. And it’s one of those boards that never gained popularity, so the longer you wait to sell it, the less value it will have. The Roland is more versatile and likely has a better chance of resale down the road if you decide to part with it later. 

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

If you really do like the RD88 pianos better and like the feel of the keybed, then just go with that. Me, I would definitely prefer the Grandstage, even not being a huge Korg piano fan. I find the RD88's acoustic sounds in general to be subpar, and that PHA4-Standard action is not to my liking. Synths are good though.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Between slab digital pianos, it's 6 in one hand and 1/2 a dozen in the other.😁

Keep the RD88 because it offers more in the grand scheme of things and especially if it feels better. 

The OP can always find another Wurli sound even if it means getting used to that sound in the RD88.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Keep the RD-88. 

In my opinion, enjoyment of playing is 60% feel and 40% sound. Sounds can be added to or replaced but you can't download a feel better keybed pack. 

Roland Cloud has some expansion packs with better EPs in. If you've not checked them out it is definitely worth a look. You can get a free trial and try them out via the Zenology VST. Then get them in the cheapest 2$ per month plan. You will need to purchase an expansion pack to download into the RD-88 to use withiut a PC but they are not too badly priced. 

It really depends on what you need from a digital piano. The Yamaha Grandstage is designed with live performance in mind, while the Roland RD-88 is designed with studio recording in mind. If you need a digital piano for live performances, the Grandstage is a great option, but if you need a digital piano for studio recording, the RD-88 is a better choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lesmisaceventura said:

It really depends on what you need from a digital piano. The Yamaha Grandstage is designed with live performance in mind, while the Roland RD-88 is designed with studio recording in mind. If you need a digital piano for live performances, the Grandstage is a great option, but if you need a digital piano for studio recording, the RD-88 is a better choice.

The RD-88 is a stage piano  designed primarily for live performance and gigging musicians. 

• Like 2

I think the GrandStage has a better variety of pianos, like 32 Gb worth if I remember correctly. Then you have the CX-3 tonewheel engine from the Kronos and the transistor organ engine, presumably from the Vox Continental.  I like the favorites storage on it. The RD-88 has a shorter pivot point action, although if you prefer it, it’s a personal choice. I like my PHA-4 Concert action over the RH3 , but the RH3 over the PHA-4 Standard. 

• Like 1