Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What (musical) book are you reading?

Robert Palmer's Deep Blues.  It's yet another blues history that focuses on the Delta - to - Chicago thread to the near exclusion of much else, but it's still very good.  I especially appreciate that he takes the time to mention some pianists here and there!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jjo said:

An audio only book:  Miracles and Wonder:  Conversations with Paul Simon, by Malcolm Gladwell and Bruce Headlam.  A interview/discussion (with lots of music) analyzing what makes such a creative force tick.  

So like, a podcast? 🤔 Or is it different in some way?

I suppose, back in the day, this could have been sold as a physical book with an accompanying CD of tunes discussed.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:33 PM, mauriziodececco said:

"Nove vite e dieci blues" an auto biography of Mauro Pagani

I have collaborated with Mauro a few times... I even had him sing on one of my projects.
I haven't spoken with him since maybe 10-12 years; I wasn't aware that I had written a book.

So thanks for the heads-up! I will read it when I have the chance.

I am reading, This is What it Sounds Like - what the music you love says about you by Susan Rogers. A christmas gift from my daughter, I get the impression it is intended more for listeners and music lovers than musicians.  However, I did find out that I am in the 9% of the population that don't see any kind of mental image when listening to music.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, Docbop said:

Currently I'm reading  Dilla Time: The Life and Afterlife of J Dilla, the Hip-Hop Producer Who Reinvented Rhythm by dan Charnas.     Dilla was such a major influence in Hip-Hop with his Drunk Funk beats.   I'm still in  the beginning of the book and the author is trying to explain time to the non-musician reader, but hope it will get past that and getting into all the groups Dilla worked with and still influence today.  

Dilla Time.jpg

I need to pick that up. This just dropped today. I love this guy's video breakdowns.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up "The Pianist from Syria" off a library bookshelf on a whim.  Mainly a story of surviving and then escaping from the Syrian civil war, but the first chapters, covering the author's childhood, had a lot that will musicians will recognize in the stories about about piano lessons and a family music business.  Later on it was also interesting to see how even in the midst of a siege, musical groups have some familiar dynamics.

It's an as-told-to translated from German, which might explain why I had a little trouble with the style at first, but it grew on me quickly.   Recommended.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Pianist-from-Syria/Aeham-Ahmad/9781501173509

I’m listening to an audio book called “ Music Practice” by David Dumais. It’s a straight forward guide filled with practical practice strategies. 

Two others audio books I’ve recently enjoyed: 

“ The Practicing Mind” by Thomas Sterner which deals with focusing and loving the process rather than dwelling on the product. 

“ The Confident Mind” by Nate Zinsser. A great guide for athletes , musician, performers, leaders, that deals with selective thinking, reflections, affirmations, envisioning, “ pre-game” mental  routines, and much more! 

Another interesting source for information on the history of American music is the movie Rumble. 

The primary topic is the contribution that Native Americans made to the sounds we've heard and continue to hear. 

Very well done and interesting. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Bill Evans Omnibook … if that counts.   Also Bach’s Chorales. Just play one or two of them cold every day. I let my sight reading skills go to hell again. The chorales are simple and there are over 360 of them to SIGHT read. 

9C659E51-78AA-4C23-942E-8AD8C0DEB21B.jpeg

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I am reading a borrowed copy of Phil Collins' Not Dead Yet: A Memoir. Offers some interesting insight into the inner workings of Genesis over the years. Tony Banks would sometimes make fun of Phil's songs for having only three chords.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

spacer.png

This book has a lot of great info but it is not a “flowing” read.   Was blown away to learn that the Master spent some time in jail for mouthing off to his superiors 🙃

• Like 1
Nord Grand, Nord lead 4, Roli Seaboard 49, Moog Matriarch, Moog One