Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

$599 price point heating up.

I have owned a good number of synths, which were mainly used for dance/GB over the years. My favorite to just have fun creating sounds were oldest ones Prophet 600 and ARP Odyssey. I've noticed the $599 price point has an ever increasing number of models.

This amount is about the most money I would consider for a creative couch toy.  The ASM Hydrosynth mini version is what has given me GAS. Then last night I came upon the Arturia Minifreak. I also have had past GAS for the Korg Wavestate although it is a little bit more $. Now my mind is starting to overload cause of increased number of choices and would like to avoid me over thinking "Should of waited, etc." 

At this early point in the process I would like to hear what fellow KC contributors might choose and why.  I'm not considering iPad apps; just want a fun tactile creative keyboard. Probably want minikeys but full size keys might be better in the long run.  ThkU

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I bought the MiniFreak because I like the unusual Eurorack-like oscillator algorithms, the SEM style real analog filters, and the companion MiniFreak V app that can sync with the MiniFreak hardware. It can be warm sounding or completely opposite if I want, it’s very diverse. I don’t like the sound of the Hydrasynth or the Wavestate (but I do really like the opsix native though). The MiniFreak “slim keys” feel better than the full size keys of the Wavestate IMO, and I heard that the polyAT keys of the Hydrasynth have a weird feel and action.

• Like 1

I’d love to love to MiniFreak and watched repeatedly many videos to somehow make me want it but there’s something that just isn’t working with me, the sound is all too meh and I can’t hear a single patch I like 😕 There’s always something like a digital noise to all the patches. Could be the factory patches are to be blamed. 

In that category of 600 bucks couch synths I’m often considering the Modal Argon8 and Cobalt8 which recently got some nice firmware updates. 

1 minute ago, Ed A. said:

Funny I sold my Argon8x and Cobalt 8x because I thought they sounded kind of bland.

That’s what I’m reading as user feedback too. Which is why I never pulled the trigger on any although I like the demos. I think with the recent firmware updates they introduced some analog imperfection parameters that may improve the sound.

If I didn’t already have a Hydrasynth classic 49 version, I would go for the Explorer as the most versatile $/€ 600 couch synth. 

• Like 1

That new Behringer 8-voice (iirc) poly tabletop also is in this price range.

I may be adding a tabletop to my rig, haven't decided yet if the extra hassle is worth it.  I think if I do it will have to be something really worthwhile over the synth sounds in my workstation, so maybe an OB6 or Prophet 6 if I sell my Summit (which I like, I just don't want to bring 3 keyboards.)  Even then I know the real answer to "who will notice at the shows" is one person: me.  Heck I did get our drummer oohing and ahhing over the synth sounds coming from my ipad at practice (jamming on Subdivisions).  That would be the cheapest solution but I do prefer the actual controls and would rather not depend on a tablet or computer.

24 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

Another option that I often consider are the Roland Boutiqes with the optional keyboard. The one I was most interested in recently is the JD-08 but I’d love the one that is a Juno-106 clone too (forgot the exact model, maybe Ju-06A or something). 

The JU-06A is the Juno 106 boutique. Downside is that it's limited to 4-note polyphony. 

The JX-08 is a JX-8P boutique. It has a 20-note max polyphony.

The great news is that they both cost less than $400 USD.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ironically the JX sound (very nostalgic for me as I owned a JX10) is one reason I may not get a tabletop--because I may get a flagship Roland Fantom for my main keyboard, and I'm fairly confident after trying the 07 that those synths are strong enough to not need supplementing (vs my Modx).  I realize the 07 didn't have the JX but it sounded great.  The Modx is stronger in some areas for sure but my band has been moving to more synth-heavy stuff (which is a nice change).

If I used hardware at home--I'm all softsynths-- there'd be more reason to get a really nice analog unit...but it's kind of "wasted" to have an OB6 only used for cover gigs IMO.

A DeepMind 6 is also an option. I think the raw tone is not mind blowing, it’s just OK, however it makes up with probably the most advanced and best sounding FX section you can find on an analog synth and there are some ultra-creamy patches I’ve heard that rely on FX. 

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

Ironically the JX sound (very nostalgic for me as I owned a JX10)...

Roland Fantom for my main keyboard...

I realize the 07 didn't have the JX but it sounded great. 

The Fantom should have a good selection of JX-like patches onboard. Roland Sound Cloud probably has them too.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

The JU-06A is the Juno 106 boutique. Downside is that it's limited to 4-note polyphony. 

For sure. I found it unusable for strings and pads. Too bad because the sound is spot-on. :(

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The small Korg keyboards have vsti versions that you can demo to see if they work for you.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/modwave_native/

I tried them all. 

I like the Modwave best, the OP6 was pretty good, but I've got a lot of FM stuff already.

The Wavestate didn't work for me - choked my computer.  But that was an early 1st version.

Maybe it'd work better for me now, but I just don't gel with the whole concept.

The others mentioned in this thread are probably good, but I'm not in the market for them.

One thing that keeps me getting GAS in the sub $800 range is I flat-out won’t buy anything with slim keys, or without a built-in keybed.

I’m a gigging musician first, my studio work comes out for my live performance. I prize ease of live playing and setup above all else. Desktop synths are a pain for live performance and mini keys feel awful to me.

The upside is that it keeps me from blowing a lot of money!

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I got the Opsix and Wavestate. 

I like exploring rhythmic phrases on the Wavestate, leaning on the sustain pedal so I don't have to hold down the keys, and tweaking the 8 mod knobs to hear how the rhythms and such change.

Opsix was the surprise hit for me.   It's thought of as Korg's take on the DX7 with a smaller and cheaper quality keyboard, but it's much more versatile than that.  It can do VA, physical modeling, etc.

Hydrasynth Explorer I'm sure is worth a look - I like what I heard from trying it in the store.  But I already got the two Korgs, both on unexpected discount. 

For me, at $649 the Korg Wavestate is a great deal. I've owned wavestations all the way back to the SR, which I still have in a rack upstairs. The Wavestate is a modern take that sounds great. It has me thinking that I need a keyboard stand made specifically for mini keyboards. I have a collection from Korg, Roland, Novation and more. Would love to set them up on stands and run through a few set lists using only mini keys. I would not hesitate to play a gig with my Jupiter Xm and Wavestate.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have a shelf that I bought at Lowes or Home Depot - I forgot - for playing out with my Octatrack, mixer, etc.  It's about as long as a 61-key keyboard.

I'll probably use that shelf for the two little Korgs when I finally replace my crummy little Monoprice desk/stand with a Jaspers stand or something along those lines.

18 minutes ago, RABid said:

For me, at $649 the Korg Wavestate is a great deal. I've owned wavestations all the way back to the SR, which I still have in a rack upstairs. The Wavestate is a modern take that sounds great. It has me thinking that I need a keyboard stand made specifically for mini keyboards. I have a collection from Korg, Roland, Novation and more. Would love to set them up on stands and run through a few set lists using only mini keys. I would not hesitate to play a gig with my Jupiter Xm and Wavestate.

I have one of these that's a perfect size for a small keyboard, height, tilt, and width are adjustable:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMy5kEWodaPtKDGjMEG

https://on-stage.com/products/view/12509

I had a fortunate year to acquire a JX08, an OPSix, a HydraSynth Explorer, and a Minifreak to go along with my Deepmind 12.  This little rig of little boards is the most fun I think I’ve ever had in my studio. Now shopping for the perfect little beat machine to complete what I want to do.

For couch fun, the HydraExplorer running on batteries is the most convenient and probably has the most versatile sound engine. It ventures out to the deck and down by the creek quite often. As Ed A. mentioned early in the thread, I do find the keybed a bit finicky. The pivot points are too close to the playing parts and sometimes fail to trigger the notes with full-fisted chords. The UI is also a little more difficult to navigate than the others, but I’m still learning and it’s getting better everyday.

OPSix makes FM super accessible and is so much fun to manipulate the sliders and knobs during live play. Absolutely wonderful noises and very musical. I like the full-size keys, but REALLY miss what aftertouch could have done with this synth. The latest firmware provides AT via midi and the thing is likely going to be much fun to play with a larger controller. The synth itself is physically a tad too deep to work well as a lap synth on the couch, but it certainly plays well with others in the studio.

JX08 is probably the most limited synth in this company but really pulls my nostalgia strings…my JX10 gets very little use now and might be going into storage soon. The sliders and knobs make sound manipulation immediate, but are a tad small and rather touchy. However the original PG800 sliders are as well. I didn’t get the the little companion keyboard for it…25 keys are just too few for my basic melodic needs. 37 is my lowest limit. I’ve been controlling it with a Numa Compact 2X which is way overkill. Even the JX10 can sound a bit wonky at the extreme ends of its 76 note range, and the modern inspired unit follows suit. I’ll soon be setting up the Numa Compact 2X to split midi channels with OPSix and JX08. Should be great fun.

Minifreak is probably my favorite board for sound design right now. For minis, the keybed is actually pretty decent to play with the pivot points further back than on the Hydra Explorer. The poly AT is pretty fun on the ASM, but the Arturia just feels better to play overall. MF’s synth engine is a tad more limited maybe, but the UI is much easier and faster to navigate for me and is an absolute blast to program and tweak. Too bad it does not run on batteries as THIS is the one I’d prefer to take out into the wilderness.

My two cents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brenner13 said:

OPSix makes FM super accessible and is so much fun to manipulate the sliders and knobs during live play. Absolutely wonderful noises and very musical. I like the full-size keys, but REALLY miss what aftertouch could have done with this synth. The latest firmware provides AT via midi and the thing is likely going to be much fun to play with a larger controller.

It responds well enough to AT from my Keystep 37, without requiring tweaking on either side.  YMMV

• Like 1

After watching a few intro/basics videos for Hydro/Freak it appears that Freak is more traditional as it has ASDR, filter knobs, etc., whereas the Hydro uses its own logic, which has a steeper learning curve.  My thoughts are which will be more fun because after the newness fades I don't want it to become just another waste of money, which is a character flaw <one of many- hehe>

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I'll tell you that one feature that would really push one of these forward to me is:  vocoder.  I know some small synths have them, but some of these would be more compelling to me if they had that.  Would I overuse this feature live and be annoying?  Of course!

The Waldorf Streichfett would have been an easy purchase, heck it's a string synth and perfect for Vocoding!   I could have perched it on my bottom keyboard.

I'm thinking of the MiniFreak for a left hand bass solution on the acoustic grand. 

I assume one can get a nice rounded bass patch out of it.

Could always also use it as a controller with the SS Trilian as well (love its acoustic bass sounds).

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I make sure to hunt used first. It usually pays off to not rush the wants. 

Of today's hardware clones I found a Behr Poly D barely used for $400 shipped to me , the Behr 2600 at $400 new due to some outrageous holiday sale. They both sound and play amazing, love em.  Fun boards. Leave the vintage in studio.
Before that a cool looking ESQ1 at $200,  a clean SQ80 at $200, a Wurly 206 for the price of 'get it out of here', a $100 A-100, a $145 Rhodes Janus Suitcase (not counting the maintenance work and any costs inherent).

Just wondering if anyone owns a synth just to have fun creating sounds?

Without a DAW and no real interest in creating original music, I'm trying to gage if I am considering a purchase in this price range just for the GAS. I mean, I have Garage Band on my iPad but never really use it except when I first got it. My memories of laying down tracks, etc. consumed countless hours that I could of used to practice and listen to jazz.

1 hour ago, 16251 said:

Just wondering if anyone owns a synth just to have fun creating sounds?

Well, that's me with the Hydrasynth. I have brought it with me on a few jam sessions, but other than that I use it mainly to learn synthesis and create new sounds, which is in fact a very satisfying experience. However I find it easier to create/compose music in a DAW with virtual synths, rather than bother recording the audio from the Hydrasynth back.

• Like 1