Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about a YC73 but have a keybed question

I am wondering what the kedbed on the YC73 is akin to. It says weighted hammer action but I hope it's nothing like the Nord HP action.

That would make it unplayable for organ in my book. I have a Stage3 73 compact and may consider getting the YC to replace it and I'd like to keep it to 73 keys.

That said, will I miss the APs and organ in the Nord or would it be a wash?  Don't really use the synth section much on the Nord.

If it would suck playing organ on the 73 key version, maybe I should go for the 61 key although I'd like to stay with 73.

I don't have any other boards right now with weighted action because frankly I am very used to playing on semi-weighted keys and like it.

90% of the time the board (Nord Stage) stays in my studio, but I do need to take an "all in one" board to a jam or recording session.

I play 70% AP & EPs and 30% organ in the rock, R&B and some light Jazz vein, so could the YC73 fit the bill equally or better than the Stage 3?

Thanks

Paul

36 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

I am wondering what the kedbed on the YC73 is akin to. It says weighted hammer action but I hope it's nothing like the Nord HP action.

It's probably most similar to the top octaves of Yamaha's GHS boards (P45/121/125, MODX8, MX88, DGX670, and many of the predecessors to those boards).

36 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

That said, will I miss the APs and organ in the Nord or would it be a wash? 

I'd give Nord the edge on APs, Yamaha the edge on organ, but others may disagree.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The yc73 action is, for a hammer action more on the light side, but it’s still a hammer action, not semi action or waterfall. As a lightweight hanmer action i find it much better than the Nord „HP“ action. I have a Nord Stage 2, a Nord Electro 5 and the YC73 and i love this black Nord from Yamaha. For me, Rhodes sounds/samples are very important, because  for the most gigs i want to let my heavy Rhodes MkII, which i love, in the rehearsal room. The Yamaha YC for me is the first hardware keyboard with a really concincing Rhodes sound! But the other sounds are also very nice and playable. But if you want to play mainly organ, i would say, perhaps take the YC61…? I find the organ sounds very good since the new Leslie sim was installed. But i find the Hammond on the NE5 still a tad better (not on Nord Stage 2). 

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

9 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It's probably most similar to the top octaves of Yamaha's GHS boards (P45/121/125, MODX8, MX88, DGX670, and many of the predecessors to those boards).

I'd give Nord the edge on APs, Yamaha the edge on organ, but others may disagree.

I read that you had one and would know. So it would not be a chore to play for a couple of hours straight in a session?

I've always found Yamaha DPs to play like a row of bricks every time I come in contact with one, probably because I'm so used to semi-weighted keys.

Thanks for the input Scott

15 minutes ago, 1203 said:

The yc73 action is, for a hammer action more on the light side, but it’s still a hammer action, not semi action or waterfall. As a lightweight hanmer action i find it much better than the Nord „HP“ action. I have a Nord Stage 2, a Nord Electro 5 and the YC73 and i love this black Nord from Yamaha. For me, Rhodes sounds/samples are very important, because  for the most gigs i want to let my heavy Rhodes MkII, which i love, in the rehearsal room. The Yamaha YC for me is the first hardware keyboard with a really convincing Rhodes sound! But the other sounds are also very nice and playable. But if you want to play mainly organ, i would say, perhaps take the YC61…? I find the organ sounds very good since the new Leslie sim was installed. But i find the Hammond on the NE5 still a tad better (not on Nord Stage 2). 

My Stage 3 compact organ isn't bad at all, but the YC has the edge? I've always heard that the Electro's had a better organ than the Stage boards.

I heard a Electro 5 live the other night and it sounded great, certainly better than my Stage 3.

My Stage 3 with the White Piano sample is very organic and playable, but the Yamaha pianos aren't far behind to my ears.

Just could never live with an action like the Nord HP has, so the YC has to be better. The HP is light enough, it just doesn't respond worth a hoot.

I do have a buyer for my Stage3 73, I don't want to make a mistake by selling it.

Thanks for the feedback

Paul

22 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

Just could never live with an action like the Nord HP has, so the YC has to be better

It is. I couldn't stand the TP/100 action in the HP Nords. The YC73 has a perfectly adequate piano action. It's not sublime, like the YC88 action, but you'll be fine in my opinion. (Mind you, the TP/40 that I love in my Nord has its haters, so it's all very subjective). 

37 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

I've always found Yamaha DPs to play like a row of bricks every time I come in contact with one, probably because I'm so used to semi-weighted keys.

Is there a hammer action you like, as a point of reference? Otherwise, perhaps the YC61 is a better choice for you. 

Cheers, Mike.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

It is. I couldn't stand the TP/100 action in the HP Nords. The YC73 has a perfectly adequate piano action. It's not sublime, like the YC88 action, but you'll be fine in my opinion. (Mind you, the TP/40 that I love in my Nord has its haters, so it's all very subjective). 

Is there a hammer action you like, as a point of reference? Otherwise, perhaps the YC61 is a better choice for you. 

Cheers, Mike.

I did play a Stage 3-88 awhile ago and did like that action, but I would still prefer semi-weighted keys....73 of them :)

My guess is that the YC73 is nothing like the Nord 88. 

14 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

I read that you had one and would know. So it would not be a chore to play for a couple of hours straight in a session?

Hard to say. I so rarely play one board for a couple of hours straight... and my feelings about it might not reflect yours anyway. That said, I did do one gig where it was my only board, for a solo cocktail hour and then 3 sets with the band, and it was fine. 

My Stage 3 compact organ isn't bad at all, but the YC has the edge?

The YC has more body on the bottom for sure. And more adjustability to tweak the sound to your liking. So I give the YC the edge.

I do have a buyer for my Stage3 73, I don't want to make a mistake by selling it.

I guess my question would be, what are you trying to accomplish in swapping out the Nord for the Yamaha?

11 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

My absolutely favorite action is the Roland Fantom7

Have you considered getting a Fantom 7? ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

7 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

My Stage 3 compact organ isn't bad at all, but the YC has the edge? 

No, i wrote that the organ in the Nord Electro 5 is still a tad better (for my ears) than the YC organ, which is very good indeed. The organ in the Nord Stage 2 is not the same as in the Nord Stage 3 / Nord Electro 4/5/6, they have improved it in these models, especially the Leslie sim. 

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

I have the YC61, but would have preferred a 73 or 76 note keybed..

It was disappointing that Yamaha decided to give both the YC73 and the YC88 weighted keys...... The latter I can understand, but the 73 could have had the same waterfall as the YC61 ....The YC boards after all very much 'organ centric' ?

We have a large music store nearby, so I have the increasingly rare luxury of being able to actually try out many of the keyboards that many folk have to buy unseen....

I found the weighted keyboard of the YC73 almost unplayable, from an organ point of view.  So not for me.

The other thing that often gets missed is that the YC61 waterfall keyboard has Yamaha 'synth width' keys -- i.e. 159mm octaves.

The YC73 and 88 have full 164mm 'standard' octaves.     Not a big deal for most folk, but definitely different .....  Not to everyone's taste.

On my last visit I tried out various Nords on display.  I simply just didn't like the 'feel' of any of them.  Simply too stiff and/or 'springy' for my taste.

The new Yamaha MODX was disappointing too....

Now the Montage keybeds, well that's a different story -- but so's the price!

I also liked the Roland R2000 keybed.....

We all have different tastes....

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

15 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Yamahas makes different hammer actions, which vary quite a bit. The action in the CP1 and CP5 was definitely on the light side, the action in the CP33/40/50 and P155/255 was on the heavy side... it really depends which ones you play. But none feel like semi-weighted keys, of course. That's not just about the weight, it's the entire physics of the mechanism.

12 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

I would still prefer semi-weighted keys....73 of them :)

5 hours ago, hrestov said:

But if you prefer semi weight action why do you want to change for a weight action? 

Yes, that's the question... Why change to a hammer action at all? If you want to do that to improve your piano playing experience (which as you say is 70% of your usage), then yes, it's worth considering, but if you are perfectly happy playing pianos on semi-weighteds--possibly actually preferring it--and are looking at the YC73 only because you find the Yamaha YC appealing and they don't have a version with 73 non-hammer keys, you may be disappointed. The YC73 provides an above average organ playing experience as hammer actions go, but it's still not really going to compare to a non-hammer experience. Most people would say it's better for pianos, but since you are okay with playing pianos on non-hammer actions, you may not find that aspect to be so compelling either.

To me, some 7x-key semi-weighteds with above average actions for piano playability would be the ones on the Vox Continental and Kurzweil PC4-7, but I don't think either of those organs are as strong as Nord's or Yamaha's. Hammond SK Pro is nice, but its piano sound lags. Though again, I still have the question as to why you are tempted to move away from your current Nord at all. What are you hoping to improve upon with the switch?

5 hours ago, hrestov said:

Nord stage 3 88 (that is the lightest weighted action around). 

Actually, the Kurzweil K2700 (and other TP40L models) are lighter... in fact, they use a more lightly weighted version of the action that is in that Nord.

11 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Hard to say. I so rarely play one board for a couple of hours straight... and my feelings about it might not reflect yours anyway. That said, I did do one gig where it was my only board, for a solo cocktail hour and then 3 sets with the band, and it was fine. 

The YC has more body on the bottom for sure. And more adjustability to tweak the sound to your liking. So I give the YC the edge.

I guess my question would be, what are you trying to accomplish in swapping out the Nord for the Yamaha?

Have you considered getting a Fantom 7? 😉

I have a Fantom7 and a Korg Nautilus 73 so yes I could play the organ from either of those boards at home, but they will never leave the studio.

I think the YC would be a nice addition/swap out from the Nord, it's just that if I do go with a hammer action keybed then it needs to be responsive,

quick and playable for all sounds when it does go outside the home.

Also I don't hate hammer action, I do have an old baby grand in my house that I play sometimes, but if I decide the YC is ok to play

and it only is available with weighted action then I may do the swap. I grew up on organs and synths and not so much pianos so that's

how I got used to that aspect of things.

I'll have to do the obvious and get one to try out and if I can't stand it, I'll send it back  and keep the Nord.

Again thanks for your input.

Paul

16 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

I did play a Stage 3-88 awhile ago and did like that action, but I would still prefer semi-weighted keys....73 of them :)

Suggestion - get a YC61 and MIDI in a 73-note keyboard as a controller. Looking at USA prices, it seems that the 61 is $600 cheaper than the 73, which opens up some options. Hell, a Studiologic Numa Compact NC2 would do the job, it has a nice-feeling action and 88 keys. If 88 is too many, look out for a Alesis QS7 or 7.1 secondhand. Two playing surfaces allow you to run two sounds simultaneously, or create a two-manual keyboard, or give you more real estate for multiple splits, etc.

16 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

My guess is that the YC73 is nothing like the Nord 88. 

It's closer to the 88 than the 73HP in my opinion, in that the latter is in the "unplayable" category, and the Yammy and the Nord 88 are not. But you prefer semiweighted to even the Nord 88 action. Scott summed it up well: if you want semiweighted, the YC73 is not the answer, even if it has the right number of keys. 

Cheers, Mike.

I just went to the local little music store in town and they had a DGX670 a P45 and a P125 and if that's the action on the YC73, 

it's game over for me on that board.

So if I do ever get a YC it would have to be the 61.

Going a tad off topic here but if I do keep the Stage3-73 I wouldn't mind maybe changing out the key springs to a lighter set.

Anyone know where and what # spring I would have to order to accomplish that?

Thanks everyone for your guidance. 

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul Henry said:

I just went to the local little music store in town and they had a DGX670 a P45 and a P125 and if that's the action on the YC73, 

it's game over for me on that board.

As I said, it's closest to the top octaves of those boards. Those boards are all graded, so they get heavier feeling as you move down from the top couple of octaves. But if you were okay with how they felt just at their top octave, for example, that should be about what the entirety of the YC73 feels like.

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

@Paul Henryback to the origins of this thread - why is the Nord Stage 73 not doing it for you? Is it the springiness of the action? 

Cheers, Mike.

The Stage does do it for me, i'm just seeing what the Yammy is like in comparison. But I don't think that the 73 will work for me and not sure I want to go down to 61

keys for my single unit travel board. I wouldn't mind the Nord with a little less push back, but at this point I'll probably keep it as is.

Paul

I haven't gigged my YC 73 yet but I know the action will work for piano on gigs already because I've been recording with it and I sort of already know after all these years what it's going to do live.... the one thing I have noticed is that I seem to get more Velocity when I MIDI to the pianos with my SP6 or PX5s or my old CP50 than the YC keybed... some of that is not good and some of that is good in that regard, in other words a full blown 88 weight does seem to drive it better, or maybe differently is a better word ... sometimes is wish the full weighted 88 actions of the SP6 or PX5s was not as hot velocity wise, even If I reduce the curve response there is a character to the sound that seems different when driven with an external 88 weighted, beefer is a good word,  we know  how that sort of thing works and feels so I wasn't surprised .... the YC73 is a really good axe. 

But I don't think it's going an issue for live gigging the YC73 alone piano wise at all, I will adjust to it compared to my other 88's and I can adjust the patched in the YC73 and have with the new velocity offset parms. in the recent firmware release.    

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Syntaur has a spring kit available that is supposed to make the Compact 73 keybed a little lighter, the kit is Part #PC3KC key return spring kit, and it includes 76 springs.  I'm thinking about ordering one for mine but with the shipping costs and duty/taxes to get it here to Canada I'm holding off for now.  I would love to hear  how it works out if you get one, I'll likely order the kit sometime in the new year.  Cheers, Ken

I couldn't really follow where the OP was headed with his thinking, but I would just say that if you get the YC61 you're getting an above-average semi-weighted action, while the YC73 is a below average hammer action.  Lots of variables to consider but one perspective is that, for an all-in-one keyboard it's better to play a really good semi-weighted than a compromised hammer action.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

9 hours ago, kenheeter said:

Syntaur has a spring kit available that is supposed to make the Compact 73 keybed a little lighter, the kit is Part #PC3KC key return spring kit, and it includes 76 springs.  I'm thinking about ordering one for mine but with the shipping costs and duty/taxes to get it here to Canada I'm holding off for now.  I would love to hear  how it works out if you get one, I'll likely order the kit sometime in the new year.  Cheers, Ken

Thanks for that info Ken. If I do keep the Nord I'll certainly keep this upgrade in mind.

2 hours ago, Adan said:

I couldn't really follow where the OP was headed with his thinking, but I would just say that if you get the YC61 you're getting an above-average semi-weighted action, while the YC73 is a below average hammer action.  Lots of variables to consider but one perspective is that, for an all-in-one keyboard it's better to play a really good semi-weighted than a compromised hammer action.

I won't be going for the 73 version. If I do wind up selling the Nord I'll be getting the YC61. 

Not sure if it's worth the time, effort and money to change out the springs if it's only a slight improvement. 

59 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

I won't be going for the 73 version. If I do wind up selling the Nord I'll be getting the YC61. 

Take my advice and get the Yamaha before you sell the Nord. I'm one of the only players here who found the YC61 unplayable and this is after playing Nord semi-weighteds for over 15 years. If you happen to like it though, your NS3C will be an easy sell.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

17 hours ago, Legatoboy said:

But I don't think it's going an issue for live gigging the YC73 alone piano wise at all, I will adjust to it compared to my other 88's and I can adjust the patched in the YC73 and have with the new velocity offset parms. in the recent firmware release.    

For me, the new velocity settings in the recent firmware are a big improvement for the action of the YC73, especially for the EP‘s. 

4 hours ago, kenheeter said:

I too had a YC61 ( twice! ) and went back to Nord.

I have a Nord Stage 2, but now, especially after the recent firmware update, i like my YC73 more, which i did not expect at first. 

I definitely plan to play a YC73 when I can get my hands on it.  I just couldn't get used to 61 notes for anything but organ. My Mojo 61 covers that perfectly for me. I'm always searching for a single keyboard solution, the closest I have is the Nord Stage 3 Compact  but the organ/leslie are not the best and I struggle with the keybed.  Perhaps the YC73 is it!  We'll see...

• Like 1