Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq 8 is out

tfort

1 hour ago, Doerfler said:

I certainly find sampled pianos "bigger and warmer" than modeling, Menno. I was just "A/B ing" Pianoteq with IK's Pianoverse last evening.

Certainly there will be times that Pianoteq sits better "in the mix", but for just solo playing at home for my own enjoyment I'm playing sampled pianos.

Hey Dave! I'm super-interested in Pianoverse, on the strength of the demos on their site, especially the ones by Montesanti. The YF sounds pretty amazing, but there is only one way to find out for real, of course. How does it compare to your other libraries? 

2 hours ago, zephonic said:

Hey Dave! I'm super-interested in Pianoverse, on the strength of the demos on their site, especially the ones by Montesanti. The YF sounds pretty amazing, but there is only one way to find out for real, of course. How does it compare to your other libraries? 

Since we're on the topic: I have no problems putting out $15 for a month trial, basically, but I'm concerned about resource intensive these are.

There is some consensus above that software can compete and even surpass hardware. I might want to try a demo of something besides Pianoteq because for whatever reason that didn't go too well. What else competes with Pianoteq?                                                                                                                                        I have a Yamaha CP5 I would love to get some use out of as a controller. Software should have an easy time surpassing the CP5....that sample has blatant examples of  artificial sounding upper harmonics  in the lower register. I like the 

keybed though.

4 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

There is some consensus above that software can compete and even surpass hardware. I might want to try a demo of something besides Pianoteq because for whatever reason that didn't go too well. What else competes with Pianoteq?                                                                                                                                        I have a Yamaha CP5 I would love to get some use out of as a controller. Software should have an easy time surpassing the CP5....that sample has blatant examples of  artificial sounding upper harmonics  in the lower register. I like the 

keybed though.

This thread has a number of software pianos you could consider. Most of them are sampled. To my knowledge, Pianoteq is the only modeled software piano, to give sampled pianos a run for their money. It's not for everyone though as you can tell by other comments in this thread. Best, Jerry 

• Like 1

Have been going through the demos and thinking of pulling the trigger for Standard.  Wondering if I can use 1 account on both a Windows laptop and an Ipad, and if so, what would be the proper way of doing this.  Would seem to me downloading off of Apple App store and paying there is wrong way to do this.

18 hours ago, CHarrell said:

The question to ask is what hardware pianos can compete with the well-regarded piano libraries?

It's an excellent question. I think it helps to consider context. The world of pianos is infinitely large. Our needs may be met by a simple rock sound, as in the Beatles Let it Be. Or an atmospheric upright piano for ethereal underscore. Or a bold Bosendorpher concert hall sound. For many of the pop and rock purposes, a stage piano or workstation piano serves the purpose quite well.

For pleasure, I wouldn't compare software or hardware pianos to the Steinway I love, and am fortunate to have in the next room, but an acoustic grand piano is not the standard, nor should it always be. On a busy stage, a trusty old Kurzweil PC88 with its simple sound can do Let it Be just well as many "superior" pianos. For precise recordings, you might rent some time in a studio not because its piano is "superior" but because it's room and microphone cabinet are well organized and you trust the studio engineer more than you trust your recording skills.

Personal preference is important and so is context. If you desire to record exposed pianistic material conveniently, software pianos offer a very powerful solution. Perhaps an unbeatable one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rand L said:

Have been going through the demos and thinking of pulling the trigger for Standard.  Wondering if I can use 1 account on both a Windows laptop and an Ipad, and if so, what would be the proper way of doing this.  Would seem to me downloading off of Apple App store and paying there is wrong way to do this.

You should be able to use multiple activations of the software throughout several devices, regardless of brand. : )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rand L said:

You buy it (I bought it directly from Moddart long time ago) and then install on up to three devices.

The nice thing is that, as all iOS apps, it takes just one license for any number of devices with your account on iOS installations. So for example I have mine installed on two PCs and a couple iPads

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

You buy it (I bought it directly from Moddart long time ago) and then install on up to three devices.

The nice thing is that, as all iOS apps, it takes just one license for any number of devices with your account on iOS installations. So for example I have mine installed on two PCs and a couple iPads

The only gotcha to be aware of is that you can't really move it back and forth from one computer to another. Specifically, once you deactivate it from one computer, you can never reactivate it for that computer. 

• Thanks 1

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

1 hour ago, mcgoo said:

The only gotcha to be aware of is that you can't really move it back and forth from one computer to another. Specifically, once you deactivate it from one computer, you can never reactivate it for that computer. 

Yes, and that is for me a problem, as I wanted to use it on a Gig Performer setup, but for that I should remove it forever from another PC I occasionally use 🫤

An fyi, there are “three activation slots”, where all iOS devices with the same AppleID would occupy max one slot. I couldn’t tell how many devices in total you wanted to cover.

1 hour ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Yes, and that is for me a problem, as I wanted to use it on a Gig Performer setup, but for that I should remove it forever from another PC I occasionally use 🫤

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

2 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

To clarify, you can have it 3 devices. You just can't have a 4th device that you bounce and forth with one of the other 3.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Anyone have any tips for what Pianoteq models work best in mono? (Stage version on iOS)

Dunno about best, but I've just been using the "mono" patch on the D piano.

11 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Dunno about best, but I've just been using the "mono" patch on the D piano.

Hmmm, I can't find that one!

ETA: Oh... it's not one of the presets, it's a setting!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)