Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq 8 is out

tfort

Includes revoiced instruments, updated GUI, new classical guitar, sympathetic resonances as its own plugin, and the announcement that an iOS version will be released soon, identical to the pc/Mac version. 

https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq#pane_new

This Piano World forum thread has links to Phil Best’s demo, Woody’s review, and some others. 

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3277167/pianoteq-8.html#Post3277167

• Like 1

By far the biggest news to me is the IOS news.  I'm debating whether to get another workstation for live gigs, or embrace my ipad as a "module" and use it for more stuff, perhaps it and a controller could be my 2nd keyboard.  For that to work I need a really good piano--and it better work in mono, hoping a modeled piano is better in that regard than stereo samples.

I'm hoping it isn't as expensive as B-3X on IOS, and I figure I would likely need to get a newer ipad (which I've considered anyway).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

well, if that doesn'r make you want to buy it nothing will. :2thu:

It's a cheat. Leon can make anything sound great. ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm not so much interested in the acoustics pianos, but I'd like to give a try to the Rhodes, mostly due to the possibility to tweak numerous tone parameters.

I'm a bit disapointed by what is feasible on my SV2, especially for the key off noises. They are present in the samples but at a low level, and it is not possible to adjust only the level of key off noises, as the RX layer is mixing the different mechanical noises all together.

Therefore I see here a good possibility to solve my issue with this, in particular for studio recordings, not so much for gigging as the audience doesn't really care about it anyway.

Also, it is attractive to me that they offer an iOS version: It means I don't need to invest in a new laptop 🙂

Let's see how much they will charge for it...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else listen to the demos and think "Yup, still sounds almost like a piano"?

I've tried multiple times to like it. And I get that it's very expressive, and very easy on the ol' CPU compared to sample libraries. Still, the "meh" is strong in this one.

Hey Josh, Nothing but respect for your ears brother. Certainly better than my cauliflower ones. 

I used to hear a metallic timbre in the PT 5.0 which is when I hopped on PT. They have improved it. However better ears than mine can probably hear something which tells them "this is not real." I get that, even though I can't hear it as much personally. I am that way with certain analog sounds, and with real versus digital pipe organs. Turning to pianos I have a Model L in the next room which no soft instrument is going to come close to. But several soft instruments are approaching playability, which to me means that if I am having a tough day, I can noodle on them and get lost in them.

PT was a practical compromise in the early days but today I tend to prefer it to sampled pianos, not just because I get 128 velocity levels or because I can remove the shine of the room reverb if I want. No. It's because my primary objection to PT has become addressable for me. Your mileage may vary of course. But if you ever try out a PT piano yourself, I recommend playing with two settings.

So what is my objection?

Sometimes PT can sound metallic. Especially at high velocities and especially with their Steinways. It's like it's trying to bite your ear off. Had that feeling? I hear it in the demos sometimes because they are playing the presets.

The primary way I address this is to go to the voicing menu where the default "hammer hardness" is as follows piano=.30, mezzo=.80, forte=1.50. 😮 I simply pull the forte hammer hardness down closer to 1 and I get a Steinway which is more like a golden retriever and less like a doberman.

The secondary way I address this I go to the note edit menu, select "attack envelope" and I hit the random button a couple of times. I have never encountered a perfectly regulated piano and PT shouldn't be one either. Each note should be unique and personal and this setting helps me get there.

I am not suggesting these tweaks will address your objections. They may only make things worse, lol. But this is what worked for my particular objection. 

Forgive me if I seem too enthusiastic. Love your work. 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

I'm not so much interested in the acoustics pianos, but I'd like to give a try to the Rhodes, mostly due to the possibility to tweak numerous tone parameters.

I'm a bit disapointed by what is feasible on my SV2, especially for the key off noises. They are present in the samples but at a low level, and it is not possible to adjust only the level of key off noises, as the RX layer is mixing the different mechanical noises all together.

Therefore I see here a good possibility to solve my issue with this, in particular for studio recordings, not so much for gigging as the audience doesn't really care about it anyway.

Also, it is attractive to me that they offer an iOS version: It means I don't need to invest in a new laptop 🙂

Let's see how much they will charge for it...

I'm curious as to the Rhodes as well, although it sounds like only the Wurly (of the EP's) was revoiced in v8. I'm a bit tired of the upgrade policy of Midiculous/Gospel Musicians, and hope Pianoteq can supplant Ravenscroft and NeoSoul Keys Studio as the new iOS standard-bearers for AP and EP. Modartt has been a model of communication, support, and treatment of its customers over the years, and I have high hopes for how they will price/market Pianoteq on iOS.

6 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

I've tried multiple times to like it. And I get that it's very expressive, and very easy on the ol' CPU compared to sample libraries. Still, the "meh" is strong in this one.

Actually, physical modeling is more CPU intensive than sample playback.  Digital based instruments have easily done sample playback for decades.  Physical modeling requires real time calculations to produce sound.

16 minutes ago, Radagast said:

Actually, physical modeling is more CPU intensive than sample playback.  Digital based instruments have easily done sample playback for decades.  Physical modeling requires real time calculations to produce sound.

Right, modeling is less demanding on resources.  RAM and fast storage.  The realism and detail we get from big libraries like KeyScape does hit CPU as well though.   Which is why there are options  to raise buffer, thin samples and reduce voice count.  Pianoteq by comparison is pretty light on resources and CPU.  

Some of pianoteq’s models just sound better, more “real” than others as well.  You have to dig to find something that’s pleasing. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

3 hours ago, tfort said:

I'm curious as to the Rhodes as well, although it sounds like only the Wurly (of the EP's) was revoiced in v8. I'm a bit tired of the upgrade policy of Midiculous/Gospel Musicians, and hope Pianoteq can supplant Ravenscroft and NeoSoul Keys Studio as the new iOS standard-bearers for AP and EP. Modartt has been a model of communication, support, and treatment of its customers over the years, and I have high hopes for how they will price/market Pianoteq on iOS.

It's good to know that Modartt is supportive to their customers ;-). I can't judge if the Rhodes tones are improved compared to the previous versions, as I never took the time to check the Pianoteq demos before (It was never really an option for me to go to the modelling route until now). I also have Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 but never liked the base tones (even though I tried really hard).

But what I heard from the Pianoteq v8 version as base Rhodes tones sounds appealing to me, even though I will not be able to make a final conclusion until I really try playing them.

Fortunately, the Apple's app refund policy help to pull the trigger and get the money back if you're not happy 🙂

10 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else listen to the demos and think "Yup, still sounds almost like a piano"?

I used to own it, long long ago in version 2 or 3, maybe 4, I don't remember, but I was never impressed and never used it.  Then with every update, I've downloaded the demo and had the same reactions as you.  Closer but.......

This version 8 demo is the best it's ever sounded to me.  So much so that I will probably buy it, at least at the entry level for the Steinways.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

Being a new pianist I don't have as much of a attachment to acoustic pianos as the rest of you.  I have a love of them from recording them and playing in bands with them.   So for me listen to piano libraries and I then is a good full sounding piano  or this is a piano sound that would record well and cut through in the band situation.   I even hear acoustic piano and judge them by good for recording or live guess that's why I like Yamaha's since they record so well because of their bright and punchy sound.  

So what I've noticed in my listening to piano libraries is sampled pianos sound fuller and wider and  the little recording of them they sound really good.  Modeled piano tend to be brighter and a little more defined note.    Modeled good for live especially since you can adjust everything including the tail of the notes that I've read a lot pianist who play fast music will shorten the  tail to increase definition.    So for me who mainly practices and records a little I like sampled pianos.   

• Like 1

One important thing that some miss is to use the CONDITION control on PT. If left as it is usually on most presets, at or too close to MINT condition, the pianos sound artificial. But setting them at about 15-20% off the MINT setting helps to humanise, so to say, the pianos

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EB5AGV said:

One important thing that some miss is to use the CONDITION control on PT. If left as it is usually on most presets, at or too close to MINT condition, the pianos sound artificial. But setting them at about 15-20% off the MINT setting helps to humanise, so to say, the pianos

Is that setting available on all tiers of Pianoteq? 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

49 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Is that setting available on all tiers of Pianoteq? 

Yes.  I made use of it when I still had the basic PTeq.

It definitely adds character that brings in what I call  realism or 'humanise' as EB5AGV says above

• Like 3

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I just upgraded to 8 Pro from 7 Standard.

It sound wonderful.   The upper register on the Steinway D sounds/feels a lot more natural and realistic to my ears

I am using my PX-S3000 right now to get it all set up.  Eventually it will be controlled in my stage rig by either my RD88 or Fantom -08

The PX-S3000 plays PianoTeq beautifully.   

• Like 3

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I like the Grotrian at 9:19 in this video, though he happens to be playing this one gently and I'm curious as to how it plays more aggressively.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet anywhere is what exactly is coming on iOS. They say, "no compromise has been taken, the same software will be delivered." But there are 3 versions (Stage, Standard, Pro). I would not be surprised if iOS gets only the Stage version.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, EB5AGV said:

:yeahthat:I've enjoyed my share of odd uprights and baby grands in particular, so I may be too easily pleased, but I love PT. I sometimes scuff it up with a tiny dusting of fuzz or delay to offset the extreme cleanliness of the sound, but considering some of the cat-coffin pianos I've had, its surrealistically elegant. OTOH, I often flange the bleep out of an 80s/90s piano ROMpler patch when I don't need Scriabin, I need Spinal Tap. :rocker:    

• Like 2

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Well, I took the plunge yesterday and upgraded from 7 Standard to 8 Standard. I have 8 instrument packs, all pianos. To not fool myself, I put three different instrument tracks on Cubase 12 with Pianoteq 6, 7 and 8 on them. Then, using same presets, checked several of the pianos. And, yes, there is real improvement. From version 6 is sometimes just awesome. From version 7 is clearly better on the bottom and top registers on the Steinways, as a sample. The Petrofs are also better. Other instruments show some improvement, but not so noticeable in general. And some, as the U4 upright, are exactly the same from 7 to 8. The new interface is nicer to look. All in all, for the upgrade price (29€) it is sure worth it IMO!

Jose

• Like 4

Perhaps someone can school me on some of the differences between the versions.

Besides the obvious more instrument packs per level, the main difference I see between stage and standard is referred to as Piano model tweaking and Microphones.

Since I'm in trial mode still, I might be seeing parameter controls that are not available in all three versions.  So, what exactly is Piano model tweaking and what can or can't you do re: Microphones in Stage?

Although I can't answer that specific question, there are other differences between the versions, shown here:

1867287684_ScreenShot2022-11-18at11_16_25AM.jpg.e8f79ca568e860d4b08d51ad13fbde11.jpg

• Like 2