Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can someone possibly identify this SPIDER?!?!

These suckers have suddenly been all around my house the last few days. Creepy. Any clue as to what they are? http://www.xmission.com/~glitch/Spidersm.jpg
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's a seriously poisonous variety. It's not a black widow or brown recluse, the two most common dangerous varieties in the US. That doesn't mean it won't bite - it just probably won't be able to injure you.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Geez FoxTick, they don't even HAVE brown recluse spiders in Utah. :rolleyes:

NE-One, what you have is a woodlouse spider. They are non-aggressive and non-venomous, and will hunt other pest bugs around your house. So don't worry about 'em.

Lee is correct.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5num2/special/vetter-8.jpeg

The woodlouse spider (Dysdera crocata, Family Dysderidae) (Fig. 8) has six eyes which are grouped closely together in triads near the anterior margin of the cephalothorax. Despite this and the lack of bodily pigmentary pattern, the woodlouse spider is commonly misidentified as a brown recluse. It is found throughout the U.S.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Yeah it's always good to know how to identify a brown recluse. The woodlouse spider really doesn't look anything like one, though. The body of the brown recluse is a light brown, not whitish like the woodlouse, and the woodlouse's coloring is solid - the brown recluse has patterned markings.

Thanks guys! We do get an occasional brown recluse (and a few desert recluse) spiders in Utah. They are not native to Utah, but get smuggled in on occasion. Recently, sombody was bitten twice in a one month period by two different brown relcuse spiders (both captured) in lovely, dry Utah.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by daklander:

Lee is correct.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5num2/special/vetter-8.jpeg

The woodlouse spider (Dysdera crocata, Family Dysderidae) (Fig. 8) has six eyes which are grouped closely together in triads near the anterior margin of the cephalothorax. Despite this and the lack of bodily pigmentary pattern, the woodlouse spider is commonly misidentified as a brown recluse. It is found throughout the U.S.

Is there anything more ugly than a spider?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I don't find them ugly at all. They look like remarkably efficient machines to me.

We're kind of ugly, as far as species go. Homo Sapiens, that is. C'mon... human versus cat? We're not even close. No wonder they're so freakin' disdainful. Snakes are awesome-looking too. We have none of the streamlining of a shark. We have weird fur patterns. Not many cool markings. Little aerodynamics. Poor symmetry. We suck. :)

Spiders can be frightening looking to some because of the knowledge that a few of them can actually hurt you. But I find them attractive, really.

- Jeff

LOL... really Rog, now THAT creeps me out! :eek:

Like I've said before, I don't think spiders are ugly at all! And it bums me out that so many people do. :cry: I think they're way cool. Most types of spiders are really helpful to have around and quite a few are really beautiful. I particularly like the big yellow and black or orange and black garden spiders that spin such perfect orb webs.

Spiders!! They ain't spiders!

Come down here and I'll show you spiders!!

1. Funnel-web spider

http://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/venoms/images/00_final/sydney_funnel_web_spider.jpg

2. Red-back spider

http://www-personal.une.edu.au/~dbritton/lactro01.jpg

:thu:

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Like I've said before, I don't think spiders are ugly at all! And it bums me out that so many people do. :cry: I think they're way cool. Most types of spiders are really helpful to have around and quite a few are really beautiful. I particularly like the big yellow and black or orange and black garden spiders that spin such perfect orb webs.

You people are sick. Sick. Sick. Sick. Sick. SICK! This entire thread is just a way to torment those of us that listed spiders in the phobia thread.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

I don't find them ugly at all. . But I find them attractive, really.

- Jeff

Sick. Sick. Sick. I can hear Jeff and the little lady getting ready for a night on the town.

Jeff honey. Does this new dress make me look fat?

No dear. You are as pretty as a brown wooly spider.

Sick. Sick. Sick, I say.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I particularly like the big yellow and black or orange and black garden spiders that spin such perfect orb webs.
Garden spiders, the ones described by Lee, are totally COOL :thu:

I've not seen one since I was just a kid, but Lee is correct about them having some of the most beatiful webs I've ever seen.

With Brown Recluses being so common around these parts, one doesn't take chances in determining whether or not a pea bodied spider is a recluse or a woodlouse. Chances are, more than likely, in Missouri it's going to be a recluse. I've been battling with the little critters myself and mine are definitely recluses. I've had the place sprayed twice; hopefully I'll only have to do it one more time to get rid of the little beasts entirely..... THIS YEAR!!!

The Brown Recluse spider can be found in the southern, western and mid western United States, especially Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri . Any corner inside or outside is suitable for brown recluse spiders to construct their webs. These spiders are more common in garages, crawl spaces, and basements, as these areas are less disturbed and tend to harbor more insects.
source

Nursers,

Your Red-back spider looks like our Black Widow...

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/blackwidow4.jpghttp://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/blackwidow.gifhttp://www.pestcontrolsupplies.com/BlackWidow2_small.gif

i ain't 'fraid of no critter!

Oh .. yes I am.

Bloody terrified actually.

At least I can deal with bridges, I live a mile away from this monster

http://www.hull.ac.uk/languages/images/humber-bridge-2.jpg

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I also had a terrible fear of spiders for many years, until the summer I found a few Hobo spiders in my house. That was pretty scary because, of all the venomous spiders in my area, the Hobo is the most aggressive. I studied up on venomous spiders (because I wanted to know what to expect when they finally attacked me), and I found out interesting stuff like, Hobo spiders can't climb very high because their bodies are so big. And black widows prefer living outside, and a brown recluse will run and hide from you (hence the name 'recluse'). After knowing all of that I felt much better, because I knew I could identify the dangerous spiders and deal with them.

Knowledge is power.

I see brown recluses all too often at home. But I don't worry too much. They are surprisingly passive. The important issue to remember when dealing with Brown Recluse spiders is that they will curl up and play dead if touched roughly, but not smushed. Don't be fooled. Make certain the spider is dead before attempting to handle it.

We also get Black Widow spiders from time to time. They scare me. Small enough to miss, big enough to seriously wound or kill. Again, they're not difficult to dispose of, so long as you smack them with some authority. (Pussy-footing around when killing a spider gives them ample time to hide in cracks or crevices.)

So far, if we have been bitten by recluses, they've been tiny bites. Nothing that hasn't healed on its' own.

I read a link posted in another thread here about a Brown-Recluses-invading-California urban legend and the writer claimed that in one instance, a group of children were playing on their playground in Missouri, IIRC, with a large number of Brown Recluses, and not one child was bitten. While I can't vouch for that being true, I think the larger point is that Brown Recluses dangerous when caught between clothing, etc. Not very dangerous out in the open.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived