Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played some Nords recently...(extended commentary)

Just went from a Nord Piano 4 88 to a Nord Piano 5 76.  I like it!

As I am primarily an AP player, I find the actions a bit light (I'm always on the "heavy" response setting), but I've gotten accustomed to them.  The NP 5 action seems friendlier and smoother than my NP4 for what that's worth.   The Nord Grand action is in a different league entirely.

I thought having two piano engines and two sample engines on the NP5 was a bit silly, but I find myself using them more and more.  Doubling up on piano samples opens up a new sonic palette, e.g. a big Bosie with a hint of upright sparkle.  The NP 5 sits under a NS 3 Compact where it looks great.   I do say, I like the smaller form factor and I do not miss the extra keys for live gigs (not a jazz or classical player).

Re Nord EPs -- they are what they are, I've tweaked mine to the point where I like how they sound.  The raw samples are meh, but spend some time with EQ, compression, etc. and you may be satisfied as I am.   Very satisfied with every other aspect of the boards, including whipping up new patches on the fly -- but that's just me.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I was/am considering a Piano 5 or a Nord Grand and have been reading lots of posts and seems a lot of issues with with Kawai keybed that it not as robust as the Fatars on other Nords.     I have a Stage 3 HP76 I was looking at a Piano 5 or NG but a gig opportunity came up that I would need the extra flexibility of the Stage and slightly small size and weight and went with the HP76.   I'm getting used to the keybed on the HP76 it's more Rhodes like per some posts here on KC.   I really like the sound of the Nord both with headphones and recorded.  

I don't know how much credibility to put into to it but someone on the Nord board said someone at Nord told them there will be some new things coming out in October.   It would be nice it's been awhile since they've update or upgraded anything. 

7 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

OT-- I just returned from Vintage King and playing the suitcase Vintage Vibe Deluxe model. I lasted maybe 90 seconds, both with phones and its speakers, and said not at all for me. This one was terrible ! The other one ( the Classic ?)  they had without speakers was better. This one had super clunky action and the sustain pedal was not integrated right. You could give it to me and I wouldn't play it.

Terrible news. I would imagine shipping the piano 3,000 miles wouldn't do it any favors. Were I ever to buy one, I would make the 4 hour (plus) drive each way and play it first before paying off the balance. I understand most people are not able to do that. Also, there is something special about the Classic model, even being less expensive. Chick Corea owned a Classic 73. Darrell Hall just purchased a Classic 73 within the last year. The speaker cabinet is, to me, pricey. I haven't seen any videos of celebrity keyboardists playing VV pianos using the speaker cabinet, and there are plenty of those videos on YouTube. All this aside, I wish the best for VV as a company. 

• Like 1
:nopity:

I had one (Classic 64) for several years and es much as i loved the idea of a portable real Rhodes-like electric piano, i couldn’t connect with it as i am connected with my Mark II from 1980, which i love to death. It is really a different thing, action and soundwise. I like both on my old and heavy Rhodes much more. On the other hand, i regret it a little bit that i have sold it, because it’s really a cool thing, when you can carry a real tine-based piano under one arm… 

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

14 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

OT-- I just returned from Vintage King and playing the suitcase Vintage Vibe Deluxe model. I lasted maybe 90 seconds, both with phones and its speakers, and said not at all for me. This one was terrible ! I've played the one ( the Classic ?) without speakers and it was better. This one had super clunky action and the sustain pedal was not integrated right. You could give it to me and I wouldn't play it.

Aside of there being no accounting for personal preference, it seems like you likely played one that is not set up well,  I have an older VV 64 that has been refurbished and given what they call the "Chick" mod. It plays, as they say, like buttah. It is a joy. Does it sound like my Mark I ? Nope, it is its own thing. It is my go-to main "bottom board" for live use, unless I need to have faux acoustic piano, in which case it is, as of late, a Nord Grand, chosen in large part for the action, but also for the mono button and flat top. I do really like some of the acoustic pianos, and seemingly contrary to many here, feel that the Wurly is the weak spot, and not as much the Rhodes. I am used to using Scarbee Wurly live.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I wondering if they will change to the new Fatar keybed in some of their models.

As now, only found in the Studiologic Numa boards ( TP110 and TP400W) that is Fatars own brand.

Perhaps they will keep it exclusively in their own products for a while ?

The TP400 seems like a great keyboard based on reviews, but I think it will also add a bit to the weight.

I have the TP110 in my Numa X 73, it is a great upgrade from the TP100, without adding much or anything to the weight.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Sweetwater says SP7 will come "with Fatar TP100LRG Fully weighted Hammer-action Keybed"? 

Same action as or similar to SL88 Grand?

Been trying really hard not to order a Nord Piano 5 73 the last few days. YC88 is difficult to fit into vehicles, and CFX hasn't been cutting it at shows. But that's mainly due to me bringing SWR California Blonde (& using "stereo input") instead of my usual stereo QSC K12's. Switched to the "Live C7" and it sounded better with SWR. -- Wurly on YC88 has been great, but for Rhodes sounds, I've had more luck with Nord. (when loud and live at least) 

I also miss having Royal Grand and Amber Upright sounds around. (and White Grand is sometimes useful too). . My wallet says to wait for Numa X piano to come back into stock and try that first..  Just looking for something with decent action and acceptable AP/EP sounds, that fits into my old Corolla (& the back of random rental vans)

23 minutes ago, octa said:

Sweetwater says SP7 will come "with Fatar TP100LRG Fully weighted Hammer-action Keybed"? 

That's originally what the Kurzweil spec page said, but it was later updated to say TP110.

https://kurzweil.com/sp7-grand/#specs

24 minutes ago, octa said:

Same action as or similar to SL88 Grand?

SL 88 Grand is TP/40WOOD.

The TP models that start with 4 are their premium actions, the ones that start with 1 are the lower cost ones with lower travel weight.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

11 hours ago, Docbop said:

I don't know how much credibility to put into to it but someone on the Nord board said someone at Nord told them there will be some new things coming out in October.   It would be nice it's been awhile since they've update or upgraded anything. 

It would make sense to hear from Nord this October, with newly announced product shipping next spring/summer.  My informed guess is that the Stage is due for a big upgrade, and not just the "EX" treatment.  I would expect to see something like a mod matrix, more memory, and a modern USB interface. 

And I will probably end up buying whatever it is at some point once all the kinks are worked out.  It was a long-ish journey on the Stage 3 to mature the software, but it's great now.  I don't want to do that again :)

I too have heard about NG keybed noise concerns on the Nord User Forum (great resource, btw).  That wouldn't bother me as I'd be using it live.  At home, that would be a different story -- although you might be surprised at how noisy real AP actions can be.  Example: my Yammie AG3 keybed makes real noise when you turn down its volume knob.

Full disclosure: I have played Nords for 10+ years, and currently own four of them.  My biases should be evident.

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

13 hours ago, Docbop said:

I was/am considering a Piano 5 or a Nord Grand and have been reading lots of posts and seems a lot of issues with with Kawai keybed that it not as robust as the Fatars on other Nords.     I have a Stage 3 HP76 I was looking at a Piano 5 or NG but a gig opportunity came up that I would need the extra flexibility of the Stage and slightly small size and weight and went with the HP76.   I'm getting used to the keybed on the HP76 it's more Rhodes like per some posts here on KC.   I really like the sound of the Nord both with headphones and recorded.  

I have a Nord Grand. It is a great sounding and playing keyboard. However, I am disappointed by one thing. There is no escapement (let off) with the keybed. I was sure the Kawai action would have it, but apparently Nord either removed it or had it removed by Kawai. As to noise, to my ears, it is no worse than other keyboards. However, I am coming from using TP40 series keypads.

6 hours ago, b3plyr said:

I have a Nord Grand. It is a great sounding and playing keyboard. However, I am disappointed by one thing. There is no escapement (let off) with the keybed. I was sure the Kawai action would have it, but apparently Nord either removed it or had it removed by Kawai. As to noise, to my ears, it is no worse than other keyboards. However, I am coming from using TP40 series keypads.

Possibly part of their agreement regarding a feature they, Kawai, would keep for their competing boards?

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2986123/nord-grand-use-the-same-action-as-kawai-rh3-here-the-proof.html

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 9/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, Dave Ferris said:

I have an itch to get something new and different. So I've been considering either the Nord Grand or Nord Piano 5 again.  Sort of leaning towards the NP5 for reducing the schlep weight of the P-515.  But not urgent, as I've hit a dry spell again.

I'm also still considering the Vintage Vibe.  I'm going to stop by Vintage King in Burbank again today and see if the mojo is still there. He said they got in the Deluxe model.

The Vintage Vibe would go great in your studio at a right angle to your D.   You can play LH Rhodes and RH D and be in heaven.

(I used to love this with my suitcase 73 and spinet growing up).

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

7 hours ago, cphollis said:

It would make sense to hear from Nord this October, with newly announced product shipping next spring/summer.  My informed guess is that the Stage is due for a big upgrade, and not just the "EX" treatment.  I would expect to see something like a mod matrix, more memory, and a modern USB interface. 

With a $6000 price tag....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Nords are indeed over priced. I still hear the same arguments about Macs too.  But I take longevity  in account.

I've gotten more mileage out of my Nords than anything else.   Mainly because you can add your own samples .  My stage is the first thing I'd grab if a gig is going to be unfamiliar territory. I've got a N2ex 88.  I  also use NS2ex compact that is my primary top keyboard, and midi control it's  piano from weighted controller below. 

RE Checking out digital pianos:  I use the opportunity of backline provided gigs to try out other DPs. Going to Guitar Center is waste of time . Sam Ash is a tad better. I've had much better luck going to regular piano stores that carry the bigger Japanese brands.  It's sad you can rarely find Kurzweil stuff in most stores. 

I like the action on the NS2.    I've played and owned just about every Yamaha slab DP for years and also loved that CP4 wooden action. .  As a  Kawai acoustic piano owner, tried really hard to like their DP.  The action was great,  but the sound never worked for me- at least in Band context.  Never got a chance to try it on a solo gig. 

In my Nord  I use the 2 Yamaha models XL and  White piano Xl versions.  It's worth clearing out all the other pianos so you can use those XL versions.  Makes a huge difference.   Most times in your typical Guitar Center scenario,  (where I feel many of you have gotten a bad impression) they leave them loaded  up with the smaller footprint Fazoli and several others for variety sake - and of course have the keyboard set up on an angle 😜.      I'm sure memory is not an issue on the NS3 or  latest Grand.

Practically speaking unless I was doing a "Yacht rock" or Jazz Fusion gig, I'd spend the money on a Nord before I bought one of those admittedly  delicious Vintage Vibe EPs.   There are occasional B-stock blemish deals  on  Nords.(which is how I got my 88).    That  Vintage vibe would be lovely awesome as a studio piece.   Disclaimer: I own a couple of stage Rhodes  (70;s and 80's era) that occasionally go out on some artist gigs. But I need serious help moving them.     Have considered selling them to get a Vintage Vibe, but  not a priority. 

Speaking of moving things...... Due to hip surgery and trying lighten my load,   I was in the market for a 73 note piano to replace my Yamaha slab piano.      My Nord88 lives at Church and only take it out for certain shows.    I considered the Yamaha Cp73 and also a weighted Nord electro HP.    The Electro was more than I wanted to spend for a bottom board that could also make sound.   I looked at the Studiologic SL73,   went with their Numa X piano instead.  Been very happy with it.  I've not gigged extensively. but it's serving the purpose of something I can easily move.   Works well as my bottom board and also with my organ rig.    I wouldn't call it a "Nord Killer" but it punches very well above it's class and price.  

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I have always had mixed feelings about Nords. To this day they have the crappiest Hammond and Leslie sounds, the lack of pitch/mod wheels in a synth is puzzling (and not particularly appreciate by Moog players), and the action belays it's $5000+ price tag.

I tried my friend's Stage 3 and was not so impressed.  For those who like instant tweak-ability to the sounds, this is the instrument for you. But my gigs only require an excellent sounding patch that is already tweaked for the song. The only controllers I use are the expression pedals and the pitch/mod wheels.  Who needs to open and close filters?  Not for the songs I play. 

And don't get me started on the keybeds.  The Nord semi-weighted ones are spongy and slow.  I still think the best semi-weighted keyboards are the ones on the Crumar Mojo 61 and its lower manual. Nothing feels so good as this keybed!  (yes, its Italian!... So much for piano makers being superior keybed designers). 

Then we have the price... Who the f*** do you think you are?  Steinway? For the people who pay such ridiculous prices, you don't always get what you pay for!  

Hey, notice I didn't even mention the color.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

47 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I have always had mixed ferruling about Nords. To this day they have the crappiest Hammond and Leslie sounds, the lack of pitch/mod wheels in a synth is puzzling (and not particularly appreciate by Moog players), and the action belays it's $5000+ price tag.

I tried my friend's Stage 3 and was not so impressed.  For those who like instant tweak ability to the sounds, this is the instrument for you. But my gigs only require an excellent sounding patch that is already tweaked for the song. The only controllers I use are the expression pedals and the pitch/mod wheels.  Who needs to open and close filters?  Not for the songs I play. 

And don't get me started on the keybeds.  The Nord semi-weighted ones are spongy and slow.  I still think the best semi-weighted keyboards are the ones on the Crumar Mojo 61 and its lower manual. Nothing feels so good as this keybed!  (yes, its Italian!... So much for piano makers being superior keybed designers). 

Then we have the price... Who the f*** do you think you are?  Steinway? For the people who pay such ridiculous prices, you don't always get what you pay for!  

Hey, notice I didn't even mention the color.  Hey!  I am RED!!!! 

If memory serves me right, Mojo 61 uses fatar TP-8O but they possibly swapped the springs or ordered the springs lighter from Fatar.   Nord also uses TP-8O on Electro, Wave 2, Stage Compact but their spring gauge is tight.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

47 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Nord .......the lack of pitch/mod wheels in a synth is puzzling (and not particularly appreciate by Moog players), and the action belays it's $5000+ price tag.

Nord doesn't put  pitch/mod wheels on it organ focus boards, it does put them on the synth focus boards.     $5000 would be a Stage 3 price and it does have  pitch/mod wheels since it has a synth along with everything else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, obxa said:

Speaking of moving things...... Due to hip surgery and trying lighten my load,   I was in the market for a 73 note piano to replace my Yamaha slab piano.      My Nord88 lives at Church and only take it out for certain shows.    I considered the Yamaha Cp73 and also a weighted Nord electro HP.    The Electro was more than I wanted to spend for a bottom board that could also make sound.   I looked at the Studiologic SL73,   went with their Numa X piano instead.  Been very happy with it.  I've not gigged extensively. but it's serving the purpose of something I can easily move.   Works well as my bottom board and also with my organ rig.    I wouldn't call it a "Nord Killer" but it punches very well above it's class and price.  

I don't know about a Nord killer. All boards have their advantages (and disadvantages).  However, I have a Nord Grand sitting beside a Numa X 88. And honestly, I think I am going to sell the Nord. The Numa is that good and weights only 31 pounds. I actually like the Numa keybed response better.

Long time Nord user here. I've never seen them as over priced. I've owned several Electros and several Stages. I usually get most of what I paid back when I sell a Nord.  I still have a Stage EX 76 with the TP100. I can honestly say that I have never had a failure with any Nord. They are absolutely bullet proof.  And beautifully intuitive on stage. I choose the weapon that suits the gig, I also have a Mojo 61 with lower manual and a Numa X 73.  My most comfortable rig has been the stage over the Mojo 61, although the Numa might be edging the Stage out now due to the TP110 and the great USB implementation with my iPad.  It's great to have options.....

• Like 3

I concur on reliability and shelf life.  I still have an Electro 2 and it's never failed.   Electros make a great compact controller for IK B3X or the Logic Organ.  (With everything mapped to the Electro buttons).  Plus it can still make decent sounds as backup.    Had a (real) B3 church gig that needed Wurli on just one song.  That Wurli sound still held up well,  and was happy to leave laptop with it's doo-dads home. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

don't know if Lucas Brown was triggering any software from this Nord Electro 2, it sounds just fine to me either way. As always, YMMV. 

(In addition, this is the last concert video I could find from Joey before he passed away, RIP)

• Like 1
:nopity:

10 hours ago, obxa said:

Practically speaking unless I was doing a "Yacht rock" or Jazz Fusion gig, I'd spend the money on a Nord before I bought one of those admittedly  delicious Vintage Vibe EPs.

If I wanted the look and overall "aura" of a Rhodes/VV without the shlep, I'd go straight to Korg SV2. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 6:56 PM, obxa said:

I've gotten more mileage out of my Nords than anything else.   Mainly because you can add your own samples .

From what I can tell (I haven't actually tried it myself yet), it looks like it's just as easy to add samples to the Fantom/Fantom-0 (sticking with single-velocity-layer samples in both cases, which is the only option you have on the Nord anyway). This is an advantage both of these boards have over Korgs, Yamahas, Kurzweils, where adding customs samples is a pain.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, HammondDave said:

I have always had mixed feelings about Nords. To this day they have the crappiest Hammond and Leslie sounds, the lack of pitch/mod wheels in a synth is puzzling (and not particularly appreciate by Moog players), and the action belays it's $5000+ price tag.

Well at least the models (with Hammond/Leslie emulation) that lack pitch mod/wheels aren't also the models with the $5000 price tag!

The answer to "the lack of pitch/mod wheels in a synth" is that the models without pitch/mod wheels aren't their models that they sell as synths... but I admit they blurred that line on the Electro 5 and 6, where they named the control section for the samples "Sample Synth." If they instead labeled that panel "Sample Player" maybe people wouldn't be fooled into thinking maybe it's "supposed" to be a synth.

I tried my friend's Stage 3 and was not so impressed.  For those who like instant tweak-ability to the sounds, this is the instrument for you. But my gigs only require an excellent sounding patch that is already tweaked for the song. The only controllers I use are the expression pedals and the pitch/mod wheels.  Who needs to open and close filters?  Not for the songs I play. 

You wouldn't be the first to say, "I don't need a Stage, all I need is an Electro, except I need pitch/mod control." Unfortunately, Nord still doesn't make that product. Maybe the Electro 7. In the mean time, they've ceded that customer to Yamaha YC, Roland VR, and Hammond SK Pro... but then there will still always be something you lose, so it depends what you need. Roland and Hammond are lesser in their piano sounds and real-time effects manipulations, Roland further loses the metal build and internal power supply, all three lose Nord's ability to load custom samples... it's always something.

The funny thing is, AFAIK, Nord and Crumar use the same Fatar TP/80 action, basically choosing to tweak it differently (spring tension and landing point, I believe).

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1. I knew Joey D played trumpet- but had no idea how great he was on sax too- that was awesome.  Thank you for posting!!

2. I didn't see any Midi coming out of that Electro2,  looked like  they were running stereo- question is whether was a real leslie?   With Comp setting on the drawbars that was nice and safe.  Could of been a whole other can of cheese had he opened up the upper drawbars.

3. Just reading AnotherScott's post, (thank you for that info...)

7 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

The funny thing is, AFAIK, Nord and Crumar use the same Fatar TP/80 action, basically choosing to tweak it differently (spring tension and landing point, I believe).

Happen to have my Mojo Classic and Nord compact next to each other.   Used them together before on gigs, but had no idea it was the same action.  I can confirm Nord feels "tighter" than the Mojo. 

I do like Mojo action better for organ, and of course having lower manual and drawbars.    But can work with the Nord when needed if not a 100% organ gig.    I know Nord stated they wanted the unweighted keyboard to work for everything, which I guess is why they tweaked it.    For the times I've used the Nord compact to cover everything it worked ok as the middle ground. 

When I did a  gig with nothing but Mojo, (lower manual triggering Ap/sEp'/clav via Mainstage) It worked great conceptually and was a nice compact setup.  However, my hands were killing me after the gig.  I've got some weird issue where I tend to bang too hard when playing piano on an organ action, yet have no problem playing organ (minus smears...)  on weighted keyboards. 

I guess bottom line if Nord ( or Macs, or PCs, Behringer,  Sushi,  Amazon, Walmart)  doesn't work for you- that's fine.  As someone said earlier there are plenty of other choices out there and to each his/her own.  (Horses for courses for our UK friends).

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I've tried bonding with nord electros/stage for over 10 years but just cant bond with the sounds. Dont like the pianos, the organ and leslie need work and the electric pianos show too much unnatural velocity switching.  I always walk away disappointed playing the keyboard.  I once again thought about a Stage 3 until I played it. It just doesnt sound pleasing to me.  There are still things in my 14 year old PC3 that blow it away soundwise.  And speaking of durability my 25 year old Gem Equinox's (I have two of them) still function 100% as does my PC3.  And i didnt have to pay a premium to get durability. My Gemini module will blow every sound away in a Nord including acoustic piano now that Guido introduced the Yamaha C5 and the Steinway D. The PC3 and my Code 61 are the perfect controllers for the Gemini and in total probably cost less than the Stage 3. Granted the Gemini is bi-timbral but I still use PC3 sounds as well therefore that is not an issue.  Soundwise I'll put my rig up against anything digital and will be competitve.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band