Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha DXR8 vs DXR8 Mk2.....anyone compared them?

bachsteady

Recently bought a DXR8 that was on sale and while I like the size and sound didn't realize until afterward there was a newer model. I know of some differences, weight, newer horn and driver I believe, different outer casing and additional handle etc. I have three questions really: One, has anyone compared them specifically with acoustic piano sounds and what were the findings? Would it be worth an extra $200 for the newer model? Lastly, one of the inputs is a stereo input. While trying it out I did not notice any difference in sound when I plugged my Nord stage 3 compact mono versus stereo. Am I missing something, should I be hearing a noticeable difference or not?

Thanks

You can compare the two data sheets here (top vs bottom of the page).  
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/speakers/dxr/specs.html

I don’t see much of a difference.   The mkii is a few ounces lighter and theoretically SPL is 1 decibal higher on the mkii.  Box is same dimensions, same coverage, same freq range.   What’s the extra $200 for other than inflation? 

You’re going to need two DXR8 if you want to hear stereo when you sit in the sweet spot between these monitors.  It’s not going to happen on a single powered pa speaker no matter that they provided a place to plug-in both L & R.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I don’t have experience with the 8’s, but I have two DXR10s, one Mk1 and one Mk2. The latter is definitely more hifi sounding. 

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Ditto!   I also have one DXR 10 Mk1 and one DXR 10 MkII, and having heard both speakers onstage I definitely prefer the MkII.   I usually go for a wider stereo spread onstage so the MkII is is always the one closest to me.

• Like 1

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

11 hours ago, The_Star_Guy said:

Ditto!   I also have one DXR 10 Mk1 and one DXR 10 MkII, and having heard both speakers onstage I definitely prefer the MkII.   I usually go for a wider stereo spread onstage so the MkII is is always the one closest to me.

If I bought one DXR8 mk ii or two of the DXR8 mk i what would be your advice? I can get two for the price of one of the new ones.

4 hours ago, bachsteady said:

One last question, if you had to choose between one DXR8 mk ii or 2 DXR8's which would you choose?

Hmm that’s tricky - if you really want stereo then you have no choice. The Mk1’s are still very good speakers. I’d probably buy a single Mk2 and save for another. 

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

On 9/4/2022 at 9:57 AM, dazzjazz said:

I don’t have experience with the 8’s, but I have two DXR10s, one Mk1 and one Mk2. The latter is definitely more hifi sounding. 

22 hours ago, The_Star_Guy said:

This is interesting to hear. Could you describe the differences in audio quality please?

I have a pair of DXR15’s mk1 which I’ve had for almost 11 years and they have been excellent good sounding and reliable workhorses.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bachsteady said:

If I bought one DXR8 mk ii or two of the DXR8 mk i what would be your advice? I can get two for the price of one of the new ones.

First of all, speaker preference is always a bit subjective to begin with.  Also, having said that I also personally consider 10" speakers to be the "sweet spot"  for the better  AP & vibrating string voices also.   As I get older, I also think that it is best to just get whatever it is that you prefer & consider to be your best "tools" & to never settle if possible.   So in your situation I would go for the MkII's and save or trade other gear as quickly as possible for the 2nd speaker.

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

13 minutes ago, dickiefunk said:

This is interesting to hear. Could you describe the differences in audio quality please?

I have a pair of DXR15’s mk1 which I’ve had for almost 11 years and they have been excellent good sounding and reliable workhorses.

Since you are running 15" speakers I don't know if I would change at all in your situation, especially if you are playing bass also.  And yes, I agree that these are solid workhorse speakers!!   In my case the MkII is louder, with better definition and clarity and I also feel that Yamaha made some subtle improvements on the active EQ circuitry as well so that the speaker sounds "flatter" under a wider set of conditions.   I have both 10" DBR's & DXR's so I use the DBR's for rehearsals and as gig vocal PA speakers, while I reserve the DXR's for my keyboards, which I personally consider to be the most demanding.

1 hour ago, The_Star_Guy said:

Since you are running 15" speakers I don't know if I would change at all in your situation, especially if you are playing bass also.  And yes, I agree that these are solid workhorse speakers!!   In my case the MkII is louder, with better definition and clarity and I also feel that Yamaha made some subtle improvements on the active EQ circuitry as well so that the speaker sounds "flatter" under a wider set of conditions.   I have both 10" DBR's & DXR's so I use the DBR's for rehearsals and as gig vocal PA speakers, while I reserve the DXR's for my keyboards, which I personally consider to be the most demanding.

Thanks. I’m more considering changing my old DXR15’s for the newer DXR15mk2 versions. 
It’s good to hear your thoughts on the improvement in audio quality. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use two DXR8 mk11 s in my solo act. Love them. They are almost like studio monitors because of their flat response. And lightweight. You won’t have as much bottom end of course but I do goose the EQ and it helps. The FOH DSP setting on these is supposed to favor more bottom end, but at higher volumes you will miss some lows. My solo act is mostly piano based so not have the extreme lows really doesn’t affect my sound.

• Like 2

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

There’s only 2.4lbs difference between the 10” and 8”.  And 1” shaved off the length, width height all around between them. 131 vs 129 SPL difference, and frequency range is 57htz vs 56htz on the bottom.  I wonder if you can even tell the difference between these two boxes A/Bing in the same room. 

48BB5D9C-1508-4B9E-90F5-DF9CFB9F4454.thumb.jpeg.e1050b02882ed4fbd771fc118ea668ac.jpeg

26633D20-2928-429F-8EE9-21730F04A8C2.thumb.jpeg.5648ef5bbe8275c773b8ead3021a44cc.jpeg

Dave Ferris, I was shocked when I heard how good my piano VSTs sounded thru the DXR8 mk11s. Like I said, they were almost studio monitor quality, especially at lower volumes. And yes, the QSC8.2s were backordered till who knows when. I narrowed my choice to the EV ZXA1 and these Yamahas. I am very glad I chose the yammies. Get them, you won’t regret it. One word of caution, at higher volumes there IS a noticeable hiss from these, I keep my volume at about 10 o’clock and they are quiet. It sounds like you won’t be playing at high volumes so you are good, but if you do hear hiss, back off speaker volume till it’s gone. I plug both stereo cables from my USB mixer (or interface) into input 1 L/R on one speaker, set volume to 10oclock, and use an XLR cable out of that speaker into the other one. Done.

• Like 2

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Dave, I have and recommend the EV ZX1's; my usage case is similar to yours I think - acoustic piano and rhodes sounds for Jazz and Brazilian music at mostly acoustic volume levels (I use a Kurzweil PC4). They are very good for that, flat and clean sounding. I don't use them for really loud gigs, but they provide plenty of power and I even can play left hand bass if needed at a reasonable volume. They have a little his, but I don't notice it given the background sounds in whoever ever I am playing. At 19 lbs. they are  breeze to move, although the built in handle is a little awkward. 

I haven't used or auditioned the Yamhas or QSC's so no direct point of comparison.

Yeah, it is ideal if you can hear them in person, but, with all the supply chain issues, as you have been finding things are hard to locate let alone order. Sounds like you have a good deal in your sights for the Yamahas... Good luck!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

So I ordered a pair of the DXR8 MK2s through Mike Pyle/ Audiopyle  in N. Ca.. Price was right.

I've exhausted all possibilities on the RCF TT-08As mk2s. No has them in stock and everyone is repeating the same lyrics of the tune I got from the US factory-- out of stock until Feb. of 2023.

My second leap of faith purchase within the week. Hopefully it will pan out better then my first.

I'll give my thoughts on them, just playing at home, with the P-515 and if I still have it, the NP 5.

Speaking of the latter,  I've only heard it with my Senn HD650s. Both at the GC and home. I haven't owned any speakers since I sold the RCFs three months ago.

I’m eager to hear what you think Dave, since you’ve sat in front of both the RCFs and the K8.2s as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Ferris said:

Argh, only one came, the other is delayed, expected tomorrow. They look nice, plus small and light.. I'll hook it up and hear what it sounds like in mono.

Please do.  Nord 5 must have a mono sample library and I know some of their models have a reduce to mono switch - not sure how it deals with phasing issues.  

1 hour ago, Dave Ferris said:

It's hard to tell in mono. The tone seems decent enough but hard to compare because the Nord has the mono summing button, where the P-515 doesn't.

The Yamaha sounds pretty clanky in the high register but I'm pretty certain it will smooth out in stereo. Running both through my APB Dynasonics ProSpec 2U6M2S mixer. Not as detailed as the JMK Audio JM-110 but I can quickly jump back and forth between the two keyboards without having to unplug cords. Yamaha sounds richer with the JMK.

Listening even in mono, the DXR8 mk2 isn't in the league of the TT-08As but will probably be "good enough" for the time being.

Damn why did I sell those?  :(  :facepalm:    I'll answer my own question...because I thought I could get the TT-08A mk2s at any time.

I'll listen again tomorrow after the other speakers arrives.

D3CBFE15-0E6E-497E-802C-C9D26DFEAAA3_1_201_a.jpeg

Looking foreword to your thoughts once you have the pair.  I think as long as you use the same mixer and channel settings for both it’s a fair comparison.  

I thought you had already made up your mind you weren’t connecting with the NP5?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave Ferris said:

A WORLD of difference hearing it with the JMK and speakers as opposed to phones. White and Royal Grand have a much greater sense of space and detail and don't sound as closed in and compressed. Still there's that attack and release thing for single note lines.

Until you get the pair setup, have you tried using just the Right output on them both (the non-summed output).  Rather than having the p515 compete with the Nord’s mono summing algorithm. 

32 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

So the other speaker came and listening in stereo...what a concept. I have them on the Yorkville short speaker poles and probably elevated higher then I would on a regular gig.

This is not a gig context obviously but just listening at home, these are nice. I don't hear them as hi-fi detailed as the TT-08As but they're half the price, so you get what you pay for there. But definitely good enough to use until the TT-08As are in stock in Feb./March of '23.

P-515 still exhibits a bit of harshness and a clanky sound starting at Ab5 to F6. But chords and lines in the middle C register and slightly below are really smooth sounding. On a slight OT tangent, pretty certain I'm going to get another CP88, which would make it #3....yeah insane.

It's been over a year since I returned the QSC K8.2s. So their sonic imprint aren't as etched into my mind like the TTs were after 12 years. Going on memory, they seem to compare favorably to the QSCs but I'd have to have them side by side to be conclusive.

Again, can't say enough how much the JMK Audio JM-110 does to enhance the sound. Both keyboards sound thin and clanky without and going direct. APB ProSpec mixer helps but the JMK elevates the sound another step or more.

Mike, that's a yes on the soft release.

3D193807-E8F7-4CCD-A9C0-8BC28A271ECE_1_201_a.jpeg

7231F18A-70B9-46CB-AB30-D48DB92B0CDA_1_201_a.jpeg

1C60405C-ABA4-4402-8804-1E1B8CC6C7FC_1_201_a.jpeg

72C2814C-E257-4B74-A1BE-AA24AE3AD355_1_201_a.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

So the other speaker came and listening in stereo...what a concept. I have them on the Yorkville short speaker poles and probably elevated higher then I would on a regular gig.

This is not a gig context obviously but just listening at home, these are nice. I don't hear them as hi-fi detailed as the TT-08As but they're half the price, so you get what you pay for there. But definitely good enough to use until the TT-08As are in stock in Feb./March of '23.

P-515 still exhibits a bit of harshness and a clanky sound starting at Ab5 to F6. But chords and lines in the middle C register and slightly below are really smooth sounding. On a slight OT tangent, pretty certain I'm going to get another CP88, which would make it #3....yeah insane.

It's been over a year since I returned the QSC K8.2s. So their sonic imprint aren't as etched into my mind like the TTs were after 12 years. Going on memory, they seem to compare favorably to the QSCs but I'd have to have them side by side to be conclusive.

Again, can't say enough how much the JMK Audio JM-110 does to enhance the sound. Both keyboards sound thin and clanky without and going direct. APB ProSpec mixer helps but the JMK elevates the sound another step or more.

Mike, that's a yes on the soft release.

3D193807-E8F7-4CCD-A9C0-8BC28A271ECE_1_201_a.jpeg

7231F18A-70B9-46CB-AB30-D48DB92B0CDA_1_201_a.jpeg

1C60405C-ABA4-4402-8804-1E1B8CC6C7FC_1_201_a.jpeg

72C2814C-E257-4B74-A1BE-AA24AE3AD355_1_201_a.jpeg

874B4740-BADC-4C00-80DE-EDF121C4AC23_1_201_a.jpeg

Preference on action and finger to note connection between the NP5 and the P515?   Either one more fluid than the other?   How about compared to the Steinway D or AvantGrand? 

Excuse the derail but I thought it ironic that I'm choosing tonight to debut with my new speakers - which go in the 100% opposite direction of everything discussed here! Alto TX308s, cheaper than cheap. I'll soon find out if I was wrong in bringing them to this gig - my once-every-two-years opportunity to play with my friend from childhood Adam Nussbaum, and the great bass player Gene Perla.

The older I get, the less weight I want to schlep, and these speakers - well, they're ludicrously light! At 12 lbs, less than half the weight of my QSC K8s. They're certainly not going to replace the QSCs - but I want to answer the question as to whether they're good enough to satisfy me on a jazz gig - not some screaming loud wedding with a horn band (which I don't do anymore anyway). This is a smallish restaurant/bar - and it's entirely possible things may get loud, so I guess I'll find out soon if I made the right call! Did I mention these are $139 each? Yea, I'm treating them very gently!

Obviousy these would never work for you Dave - but I'm pretty picky about sound myself, and there's only a certain amount I'm willing to compromise (in comparison to the sound I get from my QSCs) to save schlep. I've had these Altos kicking in my living room and they do get reasonably loud while remaining distortion-free. I have graphic EQs on every channel of my iPad rig, so will be working them tonight to get the best sound I can. EQ can't fix everything however - for example, poor-quality drivers that smear things up. I think it's hard to evaluate how a speaker will work listening at home; the space is smaller than a club (usually!), so you have closer walls that reflect sound and create phase artifacts, or just harsh reflections when seeing how loud you can go. At least that's what i deal with in my space. I could have packed the K8s in the car with the Altos but decided to take a chance. I'll have a "review" of these guys soon!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

Rob, Super jealous on your rhythm section partners tonight. Those guys are so Great !

Yes, playing at home vs a gig, any gig, is an entirely different dynamic. I hope it goes great with the new speakers.

I'll be curious as to how these fare next week on a Trio backing a singer....cough cough ...:classic_unsure:    lol.

:) back to accompanying singers, Dave? 😉 Ah the things we do for love.  

• Haha 1

I'll probably make a new thread about these little Altos, but long story short(er) 🙂  is that the gig I did last night was in a space much larger than I thought it would be. They actually had a PA that we were all in. I was right next to Adam and he was taking no prisoners - we got loud! I had issues with my acoustic piano sound, which might be related to my re-sampling and moving it from my laptop to my iPad. It wasn't bad - just not like I remember feeling with my laptop and QSCs. I suspect I need to work on the velocity curve a bit, so I'm not ready to say the Altos were what made the difference - but the jury is still out. I will say this - these little speakers did not overload or distort and I never felt like I hit the (non-defeatable) limiter; no "squashed" feeling as I played. We can certainly debate their sound quality, but this I can say for sure - if you're willing to give up a little of that vs the big guns, these guys deliver - imo of course. I originally thought they'd only handle singles or duos, cocktail hours or wedding ceremonies. They can handle a lot more than that, based on my experience last night. I can't believe the output I'm getting vs what they weigh (not to mention what they cost)! Ahh, once again, my "short" story wasn't!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

these little speakers did not overload or distort and I never felt like I hit the (non-defeatable) limiter; no "squashed" feeling as I played. We can certainly debate their sound quality, but this I can say for sure - if you're willing to give up a little of that vs the big guns, these guys deliver - imo of course.

... and you´re talkin´ ´bout the already "ancient" TX series of Alto active speakers.

The TS 3xx and TS4xx,- the latter being just released,- is even better.

The TS 308 / 310 and 312 are completely sold out @Thomann and TS4 just arrived w/ a higher price by nature.

But TX308 and 310 still aviailable,- possibly by reason of it´s 175 WRMS only class D amp and not being bi-amped like TS3 and TS4 series are.

:)

A.C.