Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gave my notice this week

3 minutes ago, OB Dave said:

My left ear is still within normal range, right ear is slightly below normal. Speech comprehension was scored at 100%

That's pretty good news.  As I understand it, a dip at 4 kHz shouldn't be too bad (except maybe when you're mixing); as long as HF sibilance is maintained, understanding speech sould go well.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

On 10/13/2022 at 3:34 AM, Tom Williams said:

Epilogue:

We played our final gig this past Friday. 

The singer / front lady had shared with the bassist that his playing (which is abysmal) was the primary reason I was leaving the band -- which it was.  But she made sure to tell him I had said that, just before our final gig, despite the fact that everyone else in the band -- herself included -- had privately acknowledged the bassist's incompetence.  (The bassist, to his credit, took the slap with grace.)

During the 3-hour gig, singerlady didn't acknowledge my existence to the audience until the final song, not even on the three songs where I sang lead.  She did however laud the guitarist several times -- including on Reelin' in the Years, No TIme, and a few other guitar-oriented songs on which I play(ed) the primary guitar part on keys.  She made it an evening of petty nastiness.

End result: three good reasons to quit -- a band-wide uncreative attitude towards covers, a bassist who not only made constant errors, but was somehow unaware that he was making them, and a 45-going-on-15 year old diva.

Thanks for sharing & encouragement, all.

You made a good call, apparently. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

After playing with a band for nearly two years, I reluctantly had to resign. Musically the band was one of the best of my career.  And the bandmates, save one, were great talented guys and easy to work with.  When I auditioned I made it clear I had other obligations.  Family of course, and also another band that gigged only about 10 times each year.  I could only commit to 2 to 3 additional gigs per month.  I was assured that would not be a problem.  As time went on, the BL/rhythm guitar (who had some big balls calling himself a musician!) began a campaign to prove how good he was at landing gigs.  Before long he was booking 2 to 3 gigs per week.  Some of which I was unavailable.  For that, I got "Fine!  We're going without you."  The rest of the band was not necessarily in favor of that but went along for the money.  Had no choice but to resign.  Did I give a reasonable notice?  Not a chance!  You can play without me!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX