Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upcoming Montage v4.0 and MODX v3.0. What do you expect?

Jose EB5AGV

It seems logical that the new MODX (the so called MODX+) will arrive along a new firmware version. And it seems also logical that the Montage and current MODX benefits of an upgrade. So, what do you think it will provide?

New AN-X engine?

Updated FM-X engine?

New VA engine?

YC/CP organs/EPs?

Better acoustic pianos?

I hope there is something really special on that update and not just small changes. Dreaming seems to be still free, so let's dream! 🤩

Jose

PS: there is another possibility, that the MODX+ is followed shortly by a Montage+ and all the new things apply only to the new models... I hope that is not the case 🙄

What I expect, or what I hope for?   :)

My wishlist would be:

* AN-X - virtual analog (perhaps with wavetables too?) :D
* YC organ engine
* More controls on the modx (9 sliders would be nice to go with the new organ engine)
* aftertouch
* a decent mono piano!!!

* an indicator of how many parts a performance has before going into it.  When I make split/layer patches, I prefer to use ones that only have one part if possible, and when you are in the middle of making the new Performance, I don't *think* there's any way to know until you try adding another one.  My workflow is thusly to find the ones I want to add first, then I have to search them up when making the new performance.  Kind of clunky.

* being able to use usb and midi at the same time with no restrictions

*that LED indicator Mr -G- mention would be nice.  I often have to transpose again, watch what it's set to in order to know if I already did, and if I see "2" then quickly set it back.  We transpose down every show, but when I learn songs I'm at 440.  It just occurred to me that it makes more sense to permanently transpose down and temporarily transpose up to learn songs....

That's about it, and WAY more than I'm actually expecting.

I think it's possible they just expand the memory.   Possibly add AN-X.   I wouldn't expect too many hardware changes that would bring it closer to the Montage, unless they are going really radical and discontinuing the Montage as well and making a keyboard that tries to split the difference.

I've learned over the years not to get my expectations too high for things I want, even though it's fun to speculate?  Remember the Segway?  My coworkers and I were going over patents from that company before we knew what it was, and there was talk of perpetual motion sterling engines and hovering machines.  Then it's unveiled and it's basically a device to let overweight mall cops patrol their beat.  Still cool tech, but almost utterly useless for most people.

If there is an upcoming update, and these “new” boards aren’t fake…

I can’t see them updating the MODX with a whole new drawbar engine. Just can’t see it. I CAN see them including an update with the new studio rotary effect, which is what made the YC go from a dud to a fairly good clonewheel. That would make it passable for non-organ heavy gigs. Just now even the tweaked organs make me cringe. 

I could potentially see them adding an AN-X engine. Wouldn’t put it past them. The MODX is already a killer synth for the money, but ironically it’s better at getting crazy out there sounds than it is doing simple sounds. So if they made an easier way to design simple sounds, I’d be up for it. 

Honestly, if this “MODX+“ is real…if they changed the plastic a bit to make it more sturdy or even just more girthy, flattened the top casing (the sloped case on my MODX drives me insane, can’t put anything on it reliably) and gave the MODX-7+ the semi-weighted keys of the YC61, along with the studio rotary and a couple of fixes I’d be tempted to upgrade. I don’t hate the MODX, I just don’t enjoy using it or playing it, especially live. At home MIDI’d up to something decent feeling it’s a great instrument for sound design and practicing. I just can’t gig bring myself to gig with it. It doesn’t hold up being tossed around, thrashed, swiped and pounded on like my Electro can 🤷‍♂️

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

One thought I had is that they may add additional pianos and EPs that are currently in the CP/YC. The Montage, with 1.75 GB expansion memory, would already have the memory to hold them. The MODX might need to have more memory (or you'd have to pick and choose what to load), so the Plus could be giving it the same 1.75 GB expansion memory as the Montage.

There will probably be some feature/interface tweaks (many possibilities have been mentioned on ideascale).

Of course, a VA and/or clonewheel organ engine would be welcome. Roland Fantom-0, Kurzweil PC4. Korg Nautilus all have both.

I'd love to see some of the Genos SA2/Ensemble sounds make it down to these boards, but I think its unlikely, despite the fact that Roland does have some of that kind of thing in their Fantom-0 SuperNATURAL Acoustic tones.

9 minutes ago, nadroj said:

Honestly, if this “MODX+“ is real…if they changed the plastic a bit to make it more sturdy or even just more girthy, flattened the top casing (the sloped case on my MODX drives me insane, can’t put anything on it reliably) and gave the MODX-7+ the semi-weighted keys of the YC61

Based on the minor "+" name change and the leaked images, there's no substantial physical change. (And that kind of physical change is among the most expensive changes to make... the upfront cost for a new mold for a plastic chassis of different dimensions is substantial.) But as for the slope, it's useful for angling the screen and controls toward the player. You could attach/velcro a couple of small rubber "feet" above the keys to hold things in place and stop items from sliding down onto the keys.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I actually like the slope, as then I can read my ipad just well enough due to the angle.

I put some gaffer's tape under velcro to hold my ipad in place.  I have a tiny bit of velcro to hold my camera connection kit in place.  The Modx7 has a nice open space to the right of the buttons.   Ironically I am about to purchase a couple tablet pads that are intended for use to hold tablets in place in your car without adhesive.  Someone on the MODX facebook page suggested them.  I'd prefer to use this vs the tape/velcro because I don't want a residue if I can help it (that's the reason for the gaffer's tape, an attempt to avoid velcro glue residue.)

The pianos they have sound fine to me, in stereo at least.  

I don't exactly throw my keyboards around, I'm as careful with them as I can be (for reselling thoughts if nothing else!) but I do play pretty excitedly on the Modx, and do plenty of organ-related swipes and movements as its my organ keyboard (with B-3x).  There's no indication it's not holding up.  If anything I'd worry about the touchscreen but then I'm leery of touchscreens.   Do any keyboards allow you to use a tablet as their interface?

I do think the build quality on the plastic Fantom-0 is better and I like the simpler lines.  Not sure that means it will be more robust in practice of course.

• Like 1

My best guess knowing Yamaha is not to offer the entire Christmas wish catalog of the forum 😀 It will be only one new feature and I bet a few beers on AN-X which will be a VA engine. And nothing else. But even that’s more than enough and depending on how good it sounds would be enough for me to consider it. 

As a current MODX user I really hope Yamaha addresses the most basic usability issue: can we just do system updates over the USB connection, instead of transferring to thumb drive etc. We really shouldn't have to do that in 2022.

• Like 3

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I’m not sure what they are up to honestly… 

Is the current market ready for a $4k+ flagship workstation type keyboard?  Can they source materials?  Can we afford it?  Korg thought the Naitilus at a lower price point was smart at this time.  

Roland launched the Fantom-8 at $4200 in September of 2019 before first wave of Covid. I have no idea how it’s selling.  But lately they’ve been churning out the $2.2k boards - Fantom-0 and Juno-X.  

Could the AN-X engine be heading into a $1-2k VA synth and $1-1.5k desktop version?   You know the youth like 49 keys and keyless synths.  

Now granted - I’m a big cheerleader for Yamaha returning to a multi-engine board like the EX-5 or a Motif stuffed with all the PLGs.  Or, all the reface engines in one board would certainly get my attention.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

12 hours ago, zephonic said:

As a current MODX user I really hope Yamaha addresses the most basic usability issue: can we just do system updates over the USB connection, instead of transferring to thumb drive etc. We really shouldn't have to do that in 2022.

I wouldn't see that as an improvement, since my gear is not always near my computer, and it's easier to bring a thumb drive to the keyboard than it would be to disconnect my laptop from all its peripherals to carry it over to the keyboard instead (and probably reconnect its AC there for safety as well), or alternatively, to carry the keyboard to where the computer is, set up a keyboard stand there, wire it up (power, USB)... Also, updates can sometimes take a while, and if I have to move my laptop to the keyboard, I can't as easily spend that time using my computer at its usual place for its usual things. And really, I would be hesitant to use my computer for other things while it was doing a system update on my keyboard anyway, in case some other process might cause the system update to abort.

Either way, though, it would require an entirely different approach. With a thumb drive holding the data, the keyboard is the host device, the actual updating program is resident in the keyboard itself. With a direct connect, the computer is the host device on which the updater is running. That means there is the possibility that the updater may fail with a future update of the Windows or Mac OS (or on a less than current version, which you may be running). I think this approach could create problems, and I'm not sure it really solves any...?

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It may have already been mentioned, but the Yamaha site has (crappy) pages for the new Modx+ apparently.  Someone on the yamaha forums said (with screenshots) that if you register on the main Yamaha site, go to register your gear, the Modx+ appears in the dropdown.  Once you click it you go a page with the pics that I believe have already been posted here...so they are legit, or else Yamaha has been hacked to add them to their list of gear :)

They look pretty much exactly the same button and slider-wise from what I could tell at a brief glance.  Obviously we can't tell if if they changed the keybed but I consider that a tiny chance.  I doubt it's *just* a software change as that wouldn't cause a new model to be made, would it..(?)..probably more memory and/or more horsepower as many here are conjecturing.   The big question for me will be whether they added any new engines, and how good they are.   AN-X, I might go for it.  AN-X and YC?  I'll most definitely go for it.   If AN-X is good, of course!    If it's a change that is ho-hum for me, I'll most likely look to get a Fantom of some ilk to go with my existing Modx.

37 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I doubt it's *just* a software change as that wouldn't cause a new model to be made, would it..(?)

Unlikely, but not unprecedented. Roland replaced VR-09 with VR-09B, with new software that could, itself, be loaded onto the earlier version. So in the end, the only difference was the revised cosmetics.

Krome was updated to Krome EX, and I think the only difference was some additional sounds, but in that case, the additional sounds could not be loaded into the original. Maybe the new sounds required more memory than the original had available, or maybe Korg just decided they wanted to maintain the differentiation.

I honestly don't see the MODX6+, etc. as more than a spiff just like the MX spiff in 2016. (My, there's a product getting long in the tooth -- the MX.)

Yamaha will do the absolute bare minimum to keep the MODX+ competitive with other keyboards in the same price range. I did a rough comparison to Juno-DS, Krome EX and FA-0x. Possible bumps are more expansion flash memory, more polyphony, SMF/audio player, master zones.

The SSP2 processor handling MODX audio is deprecated in favor of the new SSP3. If the MODX+ incorporates SSP3, maybe a small bump in USB audio handling?

I like the idea of bigger expansion memory and simultaneously offering a few relatively massive, downloadable instruments (e.g., grand, EPs). That might be enough to force people to upgrade if they can't fit the new content into the MODX mk1 expansion memory.

Always hoping to be wrong and surprised -- pj

Music tech blog: sandsoftwaresound.net

I just hope the MODX+ will be the same size and weight as the MODX, so I will get a MODX+7 plus the beautiful Yamaha MODX7 backpack.
So I will continue to use my perfectly fine and capable MODX6 when I want maximum portability, and the MODX+7 will be for whenever I can't compromise on key range.

• Like 1

That certainly would not be enough for me to upgrade.   The EPs and clavs I've already upgraded by getting the Purgatory Creek library, and the only piano I wish they'd add would be a mono one (ie, not likely requiring much space).  My needs are for live and I don't need a huge sample set, obviously others' needs may vary.

OK so now some information was leaked and there will be a new AN-X engine, which is nice, but the MODX already have many beautiful sampled analog sound in its AWM2.
But it seems that there will be no organ engine which is a disappointment for me. The All 9 Bars! preset is good, but tweakable up to a certain level, eating polyphony fast, and inconvenient to program. All 9 Bars ! make the work done when I need an organ sound, but if you'll ask me I think I'll benefit more from an additional organ engine rather then additional analog engine. Of course having both will be best.

My guess with the current economy and supply chain issues that any update will mainly be software based.   Software doesn't need a supply chain,   big investment in R&D, but but not the risks of hardware.   So that's why I'd only expect minor if any physical changes and a big bag of software based changes. 

Not sure why folks are getting exited. It IS Yamaha after all and they give nothing away...it will be a very minor update I am guessing... it may include a sound engine, AN for eg, perhaps (and personally I consider a sound engine added, to be minor) all dressed up and promoted to be something special.

There will be no after touch no new keybed,  both of which require major hardware changes to accommodate them.

When (if) released there will be a sense of "well, what was all the fuss about?"  jm2c :D

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

11 hours ago, miden said:

Not sure why folks are getting exited. It IS Yamaha after all and they give nothing away...it will be a very minor update I am guessing... it may include a sound engine, AN for eg, perhaps (and personally I consider a sound engine added, to be minor) all dressed up and promoted to be something special.

There will be no after touch no new keybed,  both of which require major hardware changes to accommodate them.

When (if) released there will be a sense of "well, what was all the fuss about?"  jm2c :D

This. A more substantial upgrade would qualify for much more than a "plus" suffix.

Cheers, Mike.

21 minutes ago, konaboy said:

"Upcoming Montage v4.0 and MODX v3.0"??

We have no evidence, expectation or reason for any updates to the existing hardware..

Apparently he meant the firmware versions, not the hardware. And BTW the hardware of MODX+ can also be viewed as MODX v2.0, so we already have some "evidence, expectation and reason" for a hardware update, if you insist on being strict 😉

18 hours ago, hag01 said:

OK so now some information was leaked and there will be a new AN-X engine

Where did you see that?

2 hours ago, konaboy said:

"Upcoming Montage v4.0 and MODX v3.0"??

We have no evidence, expectation or reason for any updates to the existing hardware..

Hi Woody,

If you read my first message, I explain that it is logical that, along the new MODX+ there will be a new firmware release and (this is speculation), there will be versions for the current Montage and MODX. So, as current firmware is Montage v3.x and MODX v2.x, if the new one is an important update, they would go to v4 and v3 respectively.

That is all, just a guess game to keep us busy while we wait 😅

Jose

PS: I am a longtime subscriber to your YT channel (there I use another nickname)

21 hours ago, EB5AGV said:

I think the key would be the so called AN-X engine, as that would open a world of new sounds. All in all, for me, any upgrade to what current units do, without changing hardware, will be welcomed. As you say, needs are different for each player

I'm not sure it truly changes the game, there are things you can do with VA vs samples (oscillator sync is one) but most sounds you can approximate with the waveforms provided, or even with new ones in libraries like Analog Xperience.   IF there is a new AN-X, it'll simply come down to this for me:  does it sound better, and by how much, than the existing "analog" sounds you can achieve.   As I have said, I've gotten "good enough to gig with" for the types of sounds I use, but if a new AN-X just takes those sounds up a notch or three then I may bite, and maybe by buying a Montage.   A quick example of the difference between "good enough to gig with" and "holy shit that is amazing" was when I had my Motif and I then bought a used Virus B. Playing a poly synth sound on those two keyboards was a different experience.   A stacked unison lead with a bit of overdrive on the Virus was an absolute monster.    Nobody was going to complain about the Motif at a gig if I played such a sound, but man it was more satisfying to turn that Virus loose  :D    And not to pick too much on the Motif, obviously it was much more versatile than the Virus.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EB5AGV said:

Hi Woody,

If you read my first message, I explain that it is logical that, along the new MODX+ there will be a new firmware release and (this is speculation), there will be versions for the current Montage and MODX. So, as current firmware is Montage v3.x and MODX v2.x, if the new one is an important update, they would go to v4 and v3 respectively.

That is all, just a guess game to keep us busy while we wait 😅

Jose

PS: I am a longtime subscriber to your YT channel (there I use another nickname)

HI, yeah, it's a lot of fun to speculate I agree!

Seems to me that any significant firmware upgrades will be reserved exclusively for the new models. Yamaha wants us to upgrade to the new machines... :)

cheers

hang out with me at woody piano shack