Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best modern stereo chorus pedal for synths…

It may be a little overkill, but I really like the chorus in the Strymon Mobius....I like the edibility a little better than the Ola on it's own, but never used them side by side so they may be more similar than I remember them. I ended up getting the all analog Fromel Seraph Deluxe, based on the Dimension D....check it out for sure.

These are awesome, if you can find one. TC also just came out with a Dreamscape pedal, but I haven’t tried one.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tc-electronic-nm-1-nova-modulator-modulation-guitar-effects-pedal

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

I am looking for the exact same thing for my Rhodes, mono in/stereo out chorus pedal. I'll wait for this to hit the streets: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCFGoldSE--tc-electronic-scf-gold-stereo-chorus-flanger-45th-anniversary-special-edition#

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

The ones I like are mono in and stereo out, so I wasn't sure whether to chime in (pun intended), but I own the original plug-into-the-wall version of the TC Electronic SCF and use it on bass and keys but not guitar where I prefer a bit more character such as the Anadyne chorus. The TC is transparent across the frequency spectrum, which is especially remarkable considering its vintage. They claim the new reissue is slightly more hi-fi than the original, and they removed the cable so it can work with standard pedal board power connectors. Pure analog. I didn't like the Moog pedal but do love their delay. I felt the chorus was too characterful; I prefer my choruses to be neutral.

• Like 2

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thank you all for the suggestions. I found a good deal on a mint but used ModFactor on Reverb, so I snagged that. And then my connection at IK Multimedia offered me one of their new X-Vibe pedals, which looks REALLY interesting. So I'll let you all know which one I prefer. Hoping to have them both next week.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 5:38 PM, PianoMan51 said:

If you have an iPad setup, and you’re thinking about Eventide, they have a bunch of inexpensive iOS versions of their plug-ins. You can try them and then decide whether they work for you and whether you want to buy the hardware version.

My journey into effects and reverbs led me to the iPad as well.  Dozens of high-quality reverbs, choruses, phasers, compressors, etc. for not much $$$.   Despite the complexity and fiddle factor of the iPad, it starts making more sense as you see your gig back filling up with different pedals.  

I'm about to dive into this topic once again with a newer USB-C iPad.  Wish me luck :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

On 8/13/2022 at 7:03 AM, Jim Alfredson said:

And then my connection at IK Multimedia offered me one of their new X-Vibe pedals, which looks REALLY interesting. So I'll let you all know which one I prefer. Hoping to have them both next week.

Please let us know how the X-Vibe rotary goes with organ.

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

19 hours ago, analogika said:

Late, but I use my Dimension D for chorus on synths, a lot. 

the Klark Teknik clone is pretty good, too. 

You have the original Dimension D or the Boss pedal? How does the Klark Teknik compare?

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

On 8/15/2022 at 8:32 AM, zephonic said:

You have the original Dimension D or the Boss pedal? How does the Klark Teknik compare?

The Roland SDD-320 rack unit from the 70s. 

My friend two doors over has the the Klark Teknik. It seems to get the vibe mostly right.

Though, oddly, he tends to have it set to "3" or "4" every time I'm in his studio. With the original, I've hardly ever considered using anything but "1". I mean — that setting is the whole point of having a Dimension D. 

We really need to directly A/B them some day. 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 8/15/2022 at 9:32 AM, zephonic said:

Like this....unfortunately

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

i still have the original version of that pedal - always loved it!

On 8/11/2022 at 3:55 AM, zephonic said:

I am looking for the exact same thing for my Rhodes, mono in/stereo out chorus pedal. I'll wait for this to hit the streets: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCFGoldSE--tc-electronic-scf-gold-stereo-chorus-flanger-45th-anniversary-special-edition#

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Like this....unfortunately"

Why unfortunately? I know this guy says it doesn't sound as good, but on my studio monitors (Dynaudios) I can't tell the difference. Granted, this wasn't a great test. The switching between the two was cumbersome, so that didn't help. And a bass sound would be about the last thing I'd pick to demonstrate/compare a chorus (I'd go for a pad or a clean guitar); but I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference in a mix (or even soloed)

Unrelated to the actual test, it always surprises me when someone records audio in a professional studio and the audio quality of the narration is awful. 

9 hours ago, Jonathan Hughes said:

"Like this....unfortunately"

Why unfortunately? I know this guy says it doesn't sound as good, but on my studio monitors (Dynaudios) I can't tell the difference. Granted, this wasn't a great test. The switching between the two was cumbersome, so that didn't help. And a bass sound would be about the last thing I'd pick to demonstrate/compare a chorus (I'd go for a pad or a clean guitar); but I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference in a mix (or even soloed)

Unrelated to the actual test, it always surprises me when someone records audio in a professional studio and the audio quality of the narration is awful. 

It´s not about what this guy says...I can clearly hear that is sounds worse 

In fact, you have to mod it to get it "closer" to the original as KT has got the LFO speeds wrong....to mention one thing

Believe me, I really wanted this to be good as the originals fetch really high prices these days

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I absolutely loved the original Roland Boss CE-1, used it on my stage Rhodes, and later on subsequent keyboards I used.  One review of this classic:  https://catalinbread.com/blogs/kulas-cabinet/boss-ce-1-chorus-ensemble

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

On 8/23/2022 at 3:18 AM, Jim Alfredson said:

I received both the Eventide ModFactor and the IK Multimedia X-Vibe last week. Finally had a moment to connect the ModFactor. It sounds fantastic. I'll try the X-Vibe tomorrow. But I'm really digging the ModFactor. 

Looking forward to your report back on the X-Vibe, as well as more on the ModFactor.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _