Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me with the "Hotel California" solo?

stoken6

I'm fortunate to be subbing with a one-guitar band, who play Hotel California - I get to play the 12-string acoustic intro on keys, and play the lower harmony part in the solo. I've got the basic broken-chord pattern (5:38) down without problems, but the two bars leading up to that (at 5:25 or so) are more difficult to pick out. I could probably bluff something, but like the OP in the "I want you back" thread, I want to get it right.

Does anyone have anything that could help me work out specifically the lower harmony part? 

Cheers, Mike.

Sorry, I have nothing that can help you out except to say that I've done this exact part on keys and it works out pretty good. T

The 12 string intro part on keys sounds surprisingly natural and is actually kind of fun to play.

The guitar solo harmonies are OK but if your guitar player bends at all you sound out of place. Unless you have them perfect I'd consider just leaving them out.  I think few listeners will find their absence disagreeable.

If you search youtube for the guitar solo tutorial there will be a million of them, only on guitar, but that should be enough to get you there.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

This is definitely one of those cases that has to be done the way the original musician(s) does it, either the original studio recording or live. No outsider can step in and improvise plausibly. You will be seen as sub-par. And in this case The Eagles are perfectionists live and don't cut themselves slack.

It is like Roger Waters performing without David Gilmour. Dave Kilminster nails it so close. Any less and you would feel the void and worse you would feel it is being done wrong. He does Gilmour's studio leads better than Gilmour, who seems so bored he gets lost petforming them live. But it's Gilmour and even unstructured it sounds like it's Gilmour.

Don Felder is not here but he is on YouTube. One detail he mentions is that the 12 string was run through a Leslie and miked in stereo. He shows most of the parts here but is transposed down a step.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

I'll just mention that the harmony lead parts have many parts where both guitars are stretching from one note to another together. Some of those bends are ascending, some are descending. Don Felder and Joe Walsh are both masterful guitarists. 

If you don't get all of those right it will never sound right. 

The Eagles spent a year or so recording that song. I don't care for it personally but it is super popular still so being able to play it should be viable for years to come. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

When I was learning the lower guitar part on keys, I used Transcribe by seventh string software.  It is inexpensive and a lifetime license.  It allows you to slow down the track (without changing the pitch),  eq it so you can emphasize the part you need to hear, and loop it to repeat.  Fantastic software for learning difficult parts.

https://www.seventhstring.com/

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre