Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

STAY Keyboard Stands

As for the KM 18880 with the second keyboard arms--I live where there are cobblestone roads. Things bump a lot. I got to a gig and one of the main screws had loosened itself and was gone. Same with the arms in another case. I've got an allen wrench substituting for one of them, and something else in the other spot. I am not the most careful person, I suppose, but it's just too fragile for me.

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18880-table-style-keyboard-stand-black

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread, I wanted to comment on the Stay piano double tier stand that I ended up getting even against my friend Dave B's advice!

First of all, I wasn't really expecting it to be so huge. I understand that it's tall to accommodate standing players, something I've never done but now I'm thinking it over. probably better for my back.

I got it Friday, set it up in my house Friday night and took it to a benefit concert on Saturday where I played it and another keyboardist did--he's a hard-hitting Cuban piano monster, and I was smacking the keys pretty good myself. It's a little wobbly but no worse than my decrepid K and M accordion-style stand. Certainly works for my style and looks more radical than I do, that's for sure.

Setting it up and tearing it down...lots of unfamiliar motions and extra work imo. But I am already thinking of a way to streamline the process--I can velcro the legs together and pick them up 2 at a time, easier to get back into the very weird bag they include.

I like it. The biggest problem so far is that I built my own pedal board--very excited that I did something so handy--with my small mixer, my e. piano sustain pedal and my SK1 volume pedal. And it just...barely...doesn't fit perfectly, so my pedals are about 1/2" too close to my foot. I think I can either modify the pedal board or get used to it.

Sharp piece of kit.

• Like 1

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

11 hours ago, Doug Robinson said:

13 minutes ago, Joe P said:

Pretty burnin' version of the Chicken!........:rawk: 🙂

Yes indeed!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

On 8/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, AnotherScott said:

When standing and playing just a single board, couldn't you also use the same K&M 2-tier stand, leave the bottom tier empty, and just place your one board on the top tier? (If you normally angle your top tier, you'd presumably want to un-angle it for this usage... but changing the angle is pretty quick.) Another approach, if you don't need TOO many inches added to the bottom tier to make it suitable for playing-while-standing is to attach a small riser. I did something similar for  a different reason, I have a pic somewhere...

I wonder if we're talking about the same K&M. The 18880 itself is single tier, and then you can buy the optional 18881 or 18882 to make it 2-tier. Either way, "number of pieces" is one. That is, once assembled, it collapses to a single transportable piece, nothing has to be removed. It doesn't need a bag. There are no loose screws. Indeed, it "breaks down in seconds, self- contained, needs no bag."

And it weighs less than 10 pounds......

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Everything you’re saying about the KNM18880000 whatever is true in terms of it being lightweight and quick and easy set up and teardown. But getting to and from gigs on cobblestone roads and setting up and tearing down quickly? I’ve probably lost seven difficult to replace screws. They shake loose. I’ve Jerry rigged it but it just doesn’t feel secure anymore. 

thank you very much for the kind words about my playing, guys! It wasn’t really my best moment, but it was good enough that a beautiful Chilean woman sitting behind me approached me after the setand said “what is your name? I’m in love with you!“ With a big smile on her face. we’re going out on our third date tomorrow. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

23 hours ago, Doug Robinson said:

Glad to hear it’s working well for you, brother!

FWIW, You use it differently than I did.  I stand - so my keyboards were higher and farther apart than yours.  My top keyboard came almost to the top of the stand - kind of like an Ultimate Support Apex.

That - combined with the fact that I tend to play somewhat aggressively when excited - may explain why it was not stable enough for me.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Great playing.

Watching those keys wobble gave me OCD.

I have the same stand. Light AF and instant to set up. And then the keys spend the whole gig bouncing, and if anyone so much as sneezes near them they turn off-center on the arms. And IMO the upper tiers end up too close together (compared to the width of the board) if you don't have the board against the very front of the arms.

Pedals fit nicely under it.

Also, though it's relatively compact, it looks like it's not. Once at a gig I set it up, and before I even put a board on it, the soundman (who I know) said, "Should we be charging you rent?"

FWIW, it's WAY easier to transport out of that bag. Who designed that thing--Dexter??

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

17 hours ago, Doug Robinson said:

Everything you’re saying about the KNM18880000 whatever is true in terms of it being lightweight and quick and easy set up and teardown. But getting to and from gigs on cobblestone roads and setting up and tearing down quickly? I’ve probably lost seven difficult to replace screws. They shake loose. I’ve Jerry rigged it but it just doesn’t feel secure anymore. 

thank you very much for the kind words about my playing, guys! It wasn’t really my best moment, but it was good enough that a beautiful Chilean woman sitting behind me approached me after the setand said “what is your name? I’m in love with you!“ With a big smile on her face. we’re going out on our third date tomorrow. 🙂 

Wow, those are rough roads, I might start worrying a bit about my other gear! 

But with a beautiful woman saying that to you out of the blue,  who cares :)    If I get approached by anyone my first thought is "uh oh, what'd I do now?"

I've been gigging with my Omega Pro vs my Spider, with one keyboard.  I prefer the simple table design to the column.  Thomann is much cheaper for K&M stuff, even with shipping, and my friend just got one in Nord red with a 2nd tier...I'm hoping that tomorrow I can go check that out and see 1) how far those tier arms stick out toward you 2) will the increased space between tiers bother me and 3) how awkward does it get to carry with the 2nd tier on.  It's easy with a bungie to bundle up the base stand, because of course it folds.

I'm honestly not sure though if I have the desire to go back to two keyboards.  Many of my gigs are outdoors, or low pressure, and it's really nice and easy to have your whole rig be able to be carried in one trip easily.   For the concern about that one keyboard going down I could have a cheapo in my car I guess.  I've come to realize that not a single person cares about my rig except me, it's more about the show and if anything, the singing (which I do).  

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

I'm hoping that tomorrow I can go check that out and see 1) how far those tier arms stick out toward you 2) will the increased space between tiers bother me and 3) how awkward does it get to carry with the 2nd tier on.  It's easy with a bungie to bundle up the base stand, because of course it folds.

FWIW, I've done over 120 gigs with my 18880 and almost 100 with the 18881 second tier attached.  Doug's post prompted me to check my stand and everything appears to be as tight as the day I put it together (hope saying that doesn't jinx me).  No cobblestone streets for me, though.  I don't use the crossbrace, so I don't have to worry about any loss of hardware there.

Regarding #1, the 18881 stacker arms stuck out a bit too far for me, so I cut a little over 3" off each arm.  For #2, I drilled an extra set of holes so I can set the second tier lower.  Some just turn the stacker around and let it drop as far down as it can go.  For #3, the second tier just makes the unit a bit taller.  Nothing unwieldy or heavy about it.  No bungee needed, just tighten the two knobs to keep it closed, although I do have to stuff a towel between the legs when transporting in the car so they don't clack together every time I hit a bump.

I've included a couple of pictures in case they're helpful.

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

• Like 2

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Gotcha, in my case it's the Omega Pro (18820), so not the same stand.  I kind of wish I'd gone with the 18880 as it seems super simple and easy to collapse and carry.    For some odd reason the 2nd tier for the 18820 have a really long bar that sticks out toward the player more than the first tier keyboard arms.

Here's the 2nd tier for the white stand I have:   https://www.thomannmusic.com/km_18811_white.htm
You can see those bottom arms there.  The extra length doesn't hold the stand on at all, but it might be done that way for some kind of weight balance reason.  Anyway I'll check out my buddy's today and try folding it up.  I fear it's going to go from "semi-flat" to "big awkward shape" much like my old 2-tier Z stand did.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ajstan said:

FWIW, I've done over 120 gigs with my 18880 and almost 100 with the 18881 second tier attached.  Doug's post prompted me to check my stand and everything appears to be as tight as the day I put it together (hope saying that doesn't jinx me).  No cobblestone streets for me, though.  I don't use the crossbrace, so I don't have to worry about any loss of hardware there.

Regarding #1, the 18881 stacker arms stuck out a bit too far for me, so I cut a little over 3" off each arm.  For #2, I drilled an extra set of holes so I can set the second tier lower.  Some just turn the stacker around and let it drop as far down as it can go.  For #3, the second tier just makes the unit a bit taller.  Nothing unwieldy or heavy about it.  No bungee needed, just tighten the two knobs to keep it closed, although I do have to stuff a towel between the legs when transporting in the car so they don't clack together every time I hit a bump.

I've included a couple of pictures in case they're helpful.

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

I did exactly the same thing.  Stand is solid, light, and I attached a mic boom as well-

-dj

20211117_101222.jpg

20211120_075757.jpg

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

• 1 month later...

I don't know of any that go that high but I can confirm my preferred Z stands (Z-726L) do NOT.  I don't think any Quik Lok Z stands go any higher than this one.

https://www.quiklok.com/product/z-726l-keyboard-stand/

Height Adjustment:

Main Stand: 26.3", 27.5", 28.7", 29.9", 31.1", 32.3", 33.4" - (67, 70, 73,76, 79,82,85cm)
Second Tier: 9.2", 10.2", 11.2", 12.2" (23.5, 26, 28.5, 31cm)

On 9/2/2022 at 6:39 AM, Stokely said:

Gotcha, in my case it's the Omega Pro (18820), so not the same stand.  I kind of wish I'd gone with the 18880 as it seems super simple and easy to collapse and carry.    For some odd reason the 2nd tier for the 18820 have a really long bar that sticks out toward the player more than the first tier keyboard arms.

Here's the 2nd tier for the white stand I have:   https://www.thomannmusic.com/km_18811_white.htm
You can see those bottom arms there.  The extra length doesn't hold the stand on at all, but it might be done that way for some kind of weight balance reason.  Anyway I'll check out my buddy's today and try folding it up.  I fear it's going to go from "semi-flat" to "big awkward shape" much like my old 2-tier Z stand did.

Move them in?  It says the depth is 4-way adjustable.  ????

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Followup:  I ended up getting the 2nd tier and the tier arm length was a non issue.  They were not sticking out and hitting me in the yarbles, which is kind of what I feared.

Now, the Omega 2nd tier definitely is a tad higher than I prefer but it's not so bad that I can't deal with it.  The height does make it easier to adjust things on the lower keyboard so that's a silver lining.  The extra height also means I don't have to have one keyboard pulled out more than I like.    I knew leaving on the tier was going to make the stand less portable but again not a deal breaker; it's heavy and awkward but for long hauls I have a cart anyway.   You wouldn't want to put the tier on before a show and take them off after (IMO), what with the washers and it's a bit hard to line up the bolt.   I wonder if there is some quick connect wizardry that could be done with that--I'm as handy as a foot so nothing comes to mind.

I really like having the underneath be completely open, and overall I prefer it to my spider pro ergonomically.  Might seem shallow but I like the white color too :)  A white montage on it would look pretty sharp!   It's now my main stand...not perfect but I haven't yet found such a thing!

On 8/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, Grave Bryce said:

You are correct - I am in error. :hider:

Mine is a 18820 - and it is a single tier to which you can add a second tier (which is the way I bought a floor unit at NAMM a bunch of years ago).

Here’s what it looks like.  My comments will make more sense now….for example, the feet need to come off to move it - the screws come out.  The crossbars are also a bit of a pain….and this is without the second tier. 😬

dB

B53680D7-8FFD-4291-833A-405B43658A2A.jpeg

Dave, I'm confused. If you were talking about the 18810, I'd get it, because it doesn't fold up. I have the 18820 (Omega Pro) and I never disassemble it, I merely fold it up. Perhaps I missed something because I haven't read the entire thread. 

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

15 hours ago, mcgoo said:

Dave, I'm confused. If you were talking about the 18810, I'd get it, because it doesn't fold up. I have the 18820 (Omega Pro) and I never disassemble it, I merely fold it up. Perhaps I missed something because I haven't read the entire thread. 

You are correct, sir.  You are missing something because you didn;\'t read the entire thread.

I was in error as to which model I have.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network