Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Space Station XL or Leslie 2121?

I play with a band where the lead singer uses a wedge, the rest of us are on IEM:s. I am the only one without any kind of amp on the stage and I know the singer would like to hear me better when moving around on stage. IEM:s are unfortunately not an option for him. I think the best solution for me will be to stay on IEM:s but use a stage amp. A regular Space Station doesn’t really do what we need on the bigger stages, so I was considering upgrading to a SSV3 XL, but then again I use a 2101 quite often and figured I could route everything through that system. I use a MODX and an SK pro 61. Does anybody have any experience with both systems? 

Clarification: I own a 2101 (the small Leslie with spinning horn and simulated low rotor), I’m considering adding a 2121, their stationary full range amp for amplifying the whole rig.

The alternative would probably be a Space Station XL, in that case I would ditch the 2101 and use a Ventilator. I’m not sure the SSXL is the right choice though - I don’t need the 3D spread of the SSXL on this gig but it feels more allround than the 2121. I don’t ‘need’ an amp at all but since everybody else is using amps and I’m only audible in his wedge the stage balance is a bit off.

I can’t try either model here in Sweden so any input is welcome. :)

Biggest con i see is weight of the 2121. With it you get a real spinning horn of the 2101.  I guess you could also use a vent into the 2121 or SS.  The 2121 will be heard and you'll get bass for days for a pleasing organ experience. Vent into a SS is more compact. Since you use the 2101 already I would pair it with the 2121 (unless a bad back tells you otherwise). My two cents.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Until about 5 years ago, I owned two 2121 cabinets. At first, I also used a 2101. Was a great sounding rig, organ through leslie (2101) and bass rotor sim and other keyboards in stereo through the 2121's. Sold the 2101 and was using a Ventilator , still had the 2121 cabinets. Got to a point where I just couldn't deal with them anymore and had to trade them in. 

They are almost the same size as a Leslie 145/142. I now use a Motion Sound KP-500S, still heavy, but compact and much smaller.

FWIW, I did also own a SS3, not the XL. Never have heard the XL. Found the origional finicky. 

• Like 1
:nopity:

If your digital sim is good enough for you, and good enough for the audience, then it's good enough for the singer. It strikes me that the requirement here is for sidefill (otherwise just mix your keyboards into the singer's wedge), and you are being very kind by providing sidefill to the band. 

So... cheap, light and small. Mackie Thump 12? Alto TX310? QSC CP10? Even some bargain-basement secondhand Behringer tat. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

Agree with stoken6 - if you’re doing all of your processing to go to the house, a keyboard-specific amp that provides color such as a Leslie or MotionSound will be a completely different animal, and not in a good way. Another well-behaved full-range speaker if you must, or better yet, just get him to put you in his wedge.

If you are shopping for full-range speakers, I’m partial to the Yamaha DXR-10, but it’s in another category of performance and price compared to the list above.

• Like 1

Going to have to second TJ and stoken on this, a FRFR speaker will do you just fine as a stage fill, and can double as an amp for smaller gigs.

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

It sounds like you already have a SpaceStation. If that's true, I would consider simply adding a powered subwoofer. When I use my SS v3 and want a little more punch/volume, I add a Behringer B1200D-PRO which makes a big difference. I also own the SS XL, Motion Sound KP-600s, Leslie 3300 and a pair of QSC K10's. For strictly organ, a real Leslie is obviously the way to go. But with a good rotary simulator, the SS with the B1200D sub does a very good job of moving sound around the room and it much easier to cart around. Speaking of rotary sims, I have the Vent II and the Lester K. Both are good, but I actually prefer the tonality and overdrive of the Lester K. Incidentally, I find that the SS XL creates less of the 'surround-sound/stereo' effect than the v3 but better than the KP-610s. A note about the placement of the SS (not XL); if I'm in a situation where the amp has to be very close behind me, I bring a guitar amp stand and place the SS on its side with the side-fill speaker facing down at an angle to the ground. It still creates the stereo effect but doesn't kill the ears of whomever the side-fill is pointed at, normally the drummer.

• Like 2

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Yup! I have a Space Station, I love it but it doesn’t really cut it on bigger stages. I am in his wedge, but when he moves around on stage he can’t hear me anymore. If I play a solo and he comes over to me he doesn’t hear a thing… He has physical issues with his ears so we’re not going to use IEM:s on him. So it’s 100% for the vibe of it - I get a bit disconnected from the rest of the band without an amp. Right now I’m considering two Bose S1 pro facing forward. 

Or maybe I’m having the wrong approach, perhaps the Space Station paired with a sub, placed in front of me facing away would be better..! I haven’t really thought about it as a monitor for the singer/other band members. I’ll give it a try at our next gig! 

Unless I misunderstood, it seems all band members are on IEM's except the singer. Someone above mentioned side-fill speakers. What about just adding another wedge or two strategically placed so the singer will be covered no matter where he moves on stage? Since you are on IEM's you could leave your amp at home and save the car space for more keyboards ;) .

• Like 1

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

5 hours ago, DaveMcM said:

Unless I misunderstood, it seems all band members are on IEM's except the singer. Someone above mentioned side-fill speakers. What about just adding another wedge or two strategically placed so the singer will be covered no matter where he moves on stage? Since you are on IEM's you could leave your amp at home and save the car space for more keyboards ;) .

Dave, I think that’s the best idea so far. I’ll pass it on, a pair of extra wedges shouldn’t be a problem..! 

• Like 2