Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

James Francies Wurly Pitch/Vibrato??

Watching and listening to Yebba Live at Electric Lady. On the song Louie Bag, the wurly has a familiar pitch/shift going on and I don’t know how it’s done.  Perhaps Chorus slow and deep?  Can anyone clue me in on how to achieve this cool sound?

Sounds like standard Wurli vibrato with a tape-lo fi plug (or possibly hardware pedal).  Most of  tape plug-ins these days can easily do that.  I'm a heavy user of Warble, it makes everything sound dusty and imperfect and adds a bit of fairy dust.    It's on my default  chain for my Wuril and Rhodes, and any (sampled) piano.  Softube's tape is usually often on sale too. 

Anything that can add a little dirt, wow and flutter will get you there. 

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/neold_warble.html.  Love Plugin Alliance and I have a monthly sub, but they're worse than Waves, with never ending "special" sales, so I'd wait till it goes on sale again.

Here's a free one: https://www.caelumaudio.com/CaelumAudio/?Page=TapeCassette2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Objectively, I supposed a slow chorus at 100%, no dry, would do it too. 

Subjectively, I'll be perfectly happy if I never hear that out-of-tune effect again in my life.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Yeah, great song and performance, but when the solo Wurlie part comes in that effect is quite prominent, and like TommyRude I find it annoying. When the whole band was playing it's harder to pick out, sounding more chorus-ey. Great tune...

17 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Yeah, great song and performance, but when the solo Wurlie part comes in that effect is quite prominent, and like TommyRude I find it annoying. When the whole band was playing it's harder to pick out, sounding more chorus-ey. Great tune...

It sounds to me like there's TWO Wurlis on the recording - the real one on the right, and the wobbly one coming out of the pad controller. In the intro, it's prominently the wobbly one, panned center, and once the band comes in, it's to the left, with the straight Wurli playing a different part panned to the right. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio