Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX7 as a Backup Keyboard?

What do you all think about the MODX7 as a gig backup keyboard? I know that I could go with something simpler to control my iPad with all the sounds I would use on a gig, but this keyboard would also replace my XS7 in the studio.  I would also like  transfer my samples from the XS7 to the MODX7. Is this possible?

Its 16lbs, (which is very appealing) and has an external iPad interface. What about the keys?  Does it have the old Yamaha skinny keys (not as wide as a B3 or B3 clone)?  I like the key feel of my XS7. How does it feel compared to that?  

Thanks in advance for your opinions. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the keys are skinny. AFAIK, every non-hammer board from Yamaha has had "skinny" keys at least going back to the DX7.

It's great for playing iPad sounds (in fact, you can create touchscreen buttons to recall your desired iPad sounds);and it also has all the Motif XS Voices in it. I'm guessing the best/easiest way to transfer over your custom samples would be with the John Melas Wave editor.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I acquired a MODX7 mostly for this purpose. I developed some program banks in case my Kronos goes down, and some banks if my Jupiter-80 takes a dive. It requires very little effort to toss in the truck with the rest of my stuff. I also use it for a rehearsal board. I can deal with the sub-par action for these situations. Fortunately, I’ve never had to actually use it as a back-up.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Great keyboard, but I just couldn’t connect with it. Didn’t like the keys, a lot of the sounds were “plasticky” to me - though ironically I enjoyed the same sounds out of the CP/YC range. Even playing basic logic sounds from it felt better. 

synth is cool. If it’s a backup keyboard it’ll probably be great, but worth playing to make sure you gel with it. In terms of feel, a motif it ain’t. 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Thanks everyone.  Sounds like Moonglow is on my wavelength. However, i do need a decent keyboard as I also want it to be a studio board to replace my XS7.  But at 16lbs I guess my expectations are too high.  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 minute ago, HammondDave said:

i do need a decent keyboard as I also want it to be a studio board to replace my XS7.  But at 16lbs I guess my expectations are too high. 

Comparably light boards (with sounds) that have better actions: Vox Continental, Kurzweil PC4-7 (and I'm guessing the SP6-7 as well). Of course, there's subjectivity to this as well. PC4-7 has aftertouch, if that might matter, and is the only one with enough sonic horsepower to compete with your XS7 (including the ability to load custom samples).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

not 100% sure but I think all Yamaha keys are thinner.  MODX7 are.  And it feels like a “value” key Ed - the Motif and Motage 7’s feel more substantial and less “plasticky” - if that makes any sense.  I posit that there is no 16 lb keyboard that has a substantial solid feel.  That said - it was a very easy transition for me going from Motif XF7 to MOXF6 to MODX7, MODX7 is better than MOXF6 imo.  Others feel differently of course.

Can’t say what a backup keyboard in your rig, your vibes, your jams, means or needs to be.  I use it as my primary board because the amount of variable great sounds, easy programming user interface and Performance flexibility, great price, and yes 16 lbs is a winner in my personal calculator.  I always play shows with multiple bands so fast set up and strike is a matter of personal pride - i don’t want to ever be one of those asshats that takes too long to get his shit off the stage or takes too long setting up after the last band ended.  It also boots up very fast compared to Motif, Kronos, or other flagship boards.  You can go very deep in programming, probably as deep as you’ll want to.  Its basically a Montage with a cheaper keybed and cheaper D/A output circuit and less buttons I don’t need anyway.

the most common complaint is related to MIDI flexibility as a controller or slave for guys with elaborate 2/3/4 board rigs but I don’t use any of that.

Any primary board by definition is good enough for backup.  If you talk more about what you do, sounds you need, etc., I can offer more targeted feedback, I’ve had MODX7 since it came out.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

If you’re an XS player and have a lot of programming - you can get Melas software to convert to MODX - i think.  I moved all of my Motif XF library to the new MODX - that is hundreds of hours of programming for me so it was very important to me.  I’ve not played the other “light” boards to say MODX is worse.  Its not a top level keybed and you don’t need 16 lb for a studio board.  A lot of factors = different answer for each of us.  

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

16 minutes ago, MotiDave said:

the most common complaint is related to MIDI flexibility as a controller or slave for guys with elaborate 2/3/4 board rigs but I don’t use any of that.

In terms of MIDI flexibility, it's got limitations as a slave, but it's perfectly capable as a controller, for up to 8 zones.

1 hour ago, MotiDave said:

not 100% sure but I think all Yamaha keys are thinner.  MODX7 are.  And it feels like a “value” key Ed - the Motif and Motage 7’s feel more substantial and less “plasticky” - if that makes any sense.  I posit that there is no 16 lb keyboard that has a substantial solid feel.  That said - it was a very easy transition for me going from Motif XF7 to MOXF6 to MODX7, MODX7 is better than MOXF6 imo.  Others feel differently of course.

Can’t say what a backup keyboard in your rig, your vibes, your jams, means or needs to be.  I use it as my primary board because the amount of variable great sounds, easy programming user interface and Performance flexibility, great price, and yes 16 lbs is a winner in my personal calculator.  I always play shows with multiple bands so fast set up and strike is a matter of personal pride - i don’t want to ever be one of those asshats that takes too long to get his shit off the stage or takes too long setting up after the last band ended.  It also boots up very fast compared to Motif, Kronos, or other flagship boards.  You can go very deep in programming, probably as deep as you’ll want to.  Its basically a Montage with a cheaper keybed and cheaper D/A output circuit and less buttons I don’t need anyway.

Any primary board by definition is good enough for backup.  If you talk more about what you do, sounds you need, etc., I can offer more targeted feedback, I’ve had MODX7 since it came out.

I am currently playing classic rock. Journey, Beatles, Stones, Loverboy, Bowie, Badfinger, Cars, C/S/N, Nugent, Cheap Trick, Doobies, Huey Lewis, Free, Frampton, Eagles, Zep, Tom Petty, Billy Idol, etc. All my Hammond sounds come from my Mojo 61, and my AP, EP, MOOG, and synth sounds come from my iPad.  I need a backup for a quick plug n’ play to my iPad if ever the Mojo goes down.  This looked interesting, but is expensive ($1,600). The only thing concerning me is the keyboard. I would hate to spend that much on a board I never play.  

I've done quite a few gigs with it as my only keyboard.  Probably about half the time, it's simply acting as controller for B-3x, we do a lot of classic rock where organ works well (even if there are no organs on the song).   I have another thread going about my one sound issue, the pianos in mono.

B-3x is easily the best organ sound I've ever had (other than my few times playing a real b3 many years ago.)   Second place might be Logic's organ or my Nord electro 6.   No latency and it just makes me want to play it more every time I play it.   There are some good ipad synths (Zeeon, model D, model 15) that I've considered using as well.

The action is really light and shallow and not my favorite, although it works pretty well for organ.  I changed the default velocity curve to help with playing piano, but it took a few weeks before I adjusted to the action.   I'd prefer the weightier action of the Montage, my old PC361, my old Virus or just about any other "flagship" model.  But I don't really let it bother me.   I also don't like the wall wart or plastic feel, but it sure is easy to transport and put on a stand.

I agree with the plasticky sound for many of the synth patches at least.  I've had better luck making my own for leads and poly synths.   It's more capable than I originally thought in that area.

Just a question: but why backup and not primary?  Just asking...  For conversation purposes....

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

13 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

Just a question: but why backup and not primary?  Just asking...  For conversation purposes....

Hi Julius….  Because I am very comfortable with my present performance setup. I love the keyboard feel of the Mojo bottom manual as it matches the top manual (for organ, obviously).  It is lightweight, the setup is easy, and it looks very clean and part of the main organ.  Plus I get some amazing sounds with Korg Module and Model D, which are used on over half the night’s songs. This new backup keyboard is for emergency use only.  I could use my Numa Piano X, but I would never trust leaving it in the car. 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, HammondDave said:

I am currently playing classic rock. Journey, Beatles, Stones, Loverboy, Bowie, Badfinger, Cars, C/S/N, Nugent, Cheap Trick, Doobies, Huey Lewis, Free, Frampton, Eagles, Zep, Tom Petty, Billy Idol, etc. All my Hammond sounds come from my Mojo 61, and my AP, EP, MOOG, and synth sounds come from my iPad.  I need a backup for a quick plug n’ play to my iPad if ever the Mojo goes down.  This looked interesting, but is expensive ($1,600). The only thing concerning me is the keyboard. I would hate to spend that much on a board I never play.  

MODX is sub-par for tone wheel but you can get passable sounds for occasional songs or non-descript B3 - just can’t do something like Deep Purple imo.  or load VB3 for iOS (so i hear).  Does all the rest fine, I have played in Cars and Bowie tributes, I dialed in Cars to the tits, Bowie we just do the pre-80s stuff so keys were mostly piano with some strings and such, easy programs.  I’ve played most of the rest.  Except Nuge - can’t even think of a Nuge keyboard song.  

vb3 doesn't work on an ipad?  They have a mobile version called vb3m.  Or do you mean that it doesn't "see" the MODX as an audio interface for some reason?

With B-3x, it sees the MODX if connected and that is the output device.  

I may have just gotten vb3m and saved some money but it wasn't out when I got B-3x.  I'm not sorry I have it, it sounds fantastic, but I've heard vb3m isn't bad.  I really like that vb3m apparently works on a phone, I wish B-3x did.   

15 minutes ago, Stokely said:

vb3 doesn't work on an ipad?  They have a mobile version called vb3m.  Or do you mean that it doesn't "see" the MODX as an audio interface for some reason?

With B-3x, it sees the MODX if connected and that is the output device.  

I may have just gotten vb3m and saved some money but it wasn't out when I got B-3x.  I'm not sorry I have it, it sounds fantastic, but I've heard vb3m isn't bad.  I really like that vb3m apparently works on a phone, I wish B-3x did.   

I have VB3m on my iPad... it sounds excellent... I just need a keyboard to control it if I have a problem with my rig.

Yeah, with one keyboard at a gig that's a single point of failure.  I told myself I'd bring my other main gigging keyboard and leave it in the car, but I haven't been.  Partly because that seems a bit risky, partly because I'm lazy when loading up the car, the Forte is pretty big and heavy in its case :)    

I may just have to buy an inexpensive 88 key controller (since 73’s are rare).  

What do you all think of the Novation Launchpad 88?  18lbs, 9 sliders, (which would control my VB3), pitch/.mod wheels, and plenty of dials... $400 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaunchK3-88--novation-launchkey-88-mk3-88-key-keyboard-controller

35 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

What do you all think of the Novation Launchpad 88?  18lbs, 9 sliders, (which would control my VB3), pitch/.mod wheels, and plenty of dials... $400 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaunchK3-88--novation-launchkey-88-mk3-88-key-keyboard-controller

I've never played one of the Novation Launchkeys, the main issues with it are it isn't weighted (not sure if that is important for you) and it has no expression pedal input, which considering that you use VB3 a lot is probably a deal breaker.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

2 hours ago, HammondDave said:

I may just have to buy an inexpensive 88 key controller (since 73’s are rare).  

It sounds like you're looking for a 73-key unweighted controller to use with your iPad. I didn't think such a thing existed since CME cancelled their one, but I did find this:

https://www.worlde.com.cn/products_44/47.html

I know nothing about it, including: I don't know how much it costs, or where to buy it. But it might be relevant.

Otherwise if you can stretch to a Numa Compact 2X, you've got 88 quality unweighted keys and 9 faders, plus one-cable USB MIDI+USB Audio to your iPad.

Cheers, Mike.

On paper that Numa Compact would be great, I personally wish it wasn't 88.  Or at the least, it would be great if they offered several sizes of it.   I think it has the TP9 action, which I like.

I didn’t like bringing a heavy, expensive backup board to gigs and leaving it in the car or off to the side.  While it might be too small for you, I just picked up an MX61 at a good price and imported my key custom MoXF patches using the Melas software. At 10lbs -  and with a soft case - it’s light, and has worked out really well.

It also works great with the IPad. I could certainly cover a gig more than adequately with it -  if I had to.

Late to the conversation but I think the MODX7 ticks several boxes.

The MODX7 would be a good MIDI controller for the iPad and also serve as a plug & play backup for both the Mojo and iPad.

Then, as a sound source, the MODX7 could also replace the XS7 in thr studio if necessary. Win-win all round. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

11 hours ago, Stokely said:

On paper that Numa Compact would be great, I personally wish it wasn't 88.  Or at the least, it would be great if they offered several sizes of it.   

Agree. This board wiould be a natural for a 7x-key form factor.

Cheers, Mike.

Which ones did you get, if you don't mind my asking?  ;)

I got the Purgatory Creek vintage keys and love it, super easy to install too.   I'm considering trying the free Oberheim one and maybe Analog Experience.   I feel like I should really spend more time with rolling my own synth sounds though....so far so good, despite my lack of ability when it comes to programming sounds!  Just starting with elements like the oberheim saw I was able to get some pretty credible poly synth tones (way better than the presets, or at least more appropriate for my vintage needs).

6 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Agree. This board would be a natural for a 7x-key form factor.

Cheers, Mike.

Totally agree!   I still absolutely love my Numa Compact 2x (one of the best values on the market right now), but I have often thought that it would work equally well in a 7x format also.    And the Fatar TP9/P is a great playing keyboard action for my MODX7.    The voices play perfectly from it!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

21 hours ago, Stokely said:

Which ones did you get, if you don't mind my asking?  ;)

I got the Purgatory Creek vintage keys and love it, super easy to install too.   I'm considering trying the free Oberheim one and maybe Analog Experience.   I feel like I should really spend more time with rolling my own synth sounds though....so far so good, despite my lack of ability when it comes to programming sounds!  Just starting with elements like the oberheim saw I was able to get some pretty credible poly synth tones (way better than the presets, or at least more appropriate for my vintage needs).

analog experience and several others I purchased after going through youtube, google voice libraries and you'll find quite a few.  also go through yamahasynthforum.com   soundmondo on the yamaha synth site has many sounds you can listen to and download.  there I downloaded a great hammond sound and a tenor sax voice that is exactly the same as on the tyros and genos keyboards.  not an opinion but a better sax than any patch on Korg,Kurz. or Roland.