Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MODX7 Gig Bag Horror

1So first the bad news - I’m finishing up a work deliverable and then rush to load my gear for a local show.  I have (had?) the Yamaha gig bag for MODX7, i always thought it was a bit skimpy / unprotected but figure for local shows, if i just am careful, all will be ok.  Well - as im loading, i take right shoulder strap off and at that second the stitching holding the left strap fails and my keys in skimpy bag plummet maybe 2-3 feet to the concrete ground.  the stitching that held the strap to the connector clip just failed - no explanation and no warning.  

FCCCKKK!!!!!  I am already late, panicking - i go inside and set case/keys down and open up to pull it out.  I give a slight shake and sure enough - “rattle rattle” - theres a notable chunk of something now floating inside.  ARRRGH!  I plug the wall wart in and it powers up fine, phones confirm sound out fine.  But FCK - i am worried to take an electronic keys to a gig with a piece of who knows what floating and rattling around inside.  Who knows if its conductive and it gets lodged in a way to short things out.  Not only immediate gig fail, but maybe much more expensive damage.

Quick plan B - i pull out my old Motif XF7, go find the power cord, plug it in and it works fine. fortunately I played this same set (UFO Strangers in the Night live album)( with a prior band back when that was my gigging board.  Look for the set bank and find it, check thru them and they all sound as I left them.  But damn its heavy, with even heavier large unwieldy plywood flight case.  So now instead of strolling in with a backpack weighing 20 lbs on my back, I’ve instead got this lugging huge 85lb case on shitty small wheels.  Its two trip load in vs 1 but for this gig, i can pull up to back door of stage so its not a huge deal.  Bigger deal is hoisting the 85 lb case up into my car, to be honest.  

I had reprogrammed a few songs to make them easier to make patch switches mid-song on my MODX - MODX is so much more user friendly and giggable for things exactly like that.  Now I have to re-remember my old way to do things live in mid-song on the fly that I’d not been doing for over 5 years.  I am freaking out, i am bummed, i am worried about my MODX7 and its new rattle float chunk, and I’m fucking pissed.  And i have to get my ass moving and get the rest of my rig in my can and go play.  Thanks Yamaha!

So a couple items for help please
1. Recommend keyboard repair excellence in San Diego north county?  There’s only one “authorized” Yamaha service guy in San Diego, hes about 45 miles away in east county.  I can go down there unless anyone has a great guy that can work on Yamaha boards closer to Carlsbad/San Marcos area?

2. Recommend BETTER backpack gig bag for MODX7?  I started searching this morning, didn’t find a great fit yet.  MODX7 Dimensions are 45-1/16” x 13-1/16” x 5-1/4”.  Features I’d like

- thicker padding, just in general the Yamaha bag is underpadded 

- reliable shoulder straps

- better/stronger/more padded side bolsters?

- storage pockets - don’t need a lot of space, as big or bigger than the Yamaha bag is ok

End of last night’s saga - I loaded in, set up and sound checked, pounded two bourbon’s, and finally relaxed.  It is what is, lets rock!  The gig went great, maybe our best set as a band (its a new outfit).  Motif XF7 is actually a nicer playing keys experience, it sounded a tad warmer (better D/A out?) - maybe I should consider a montage if my MODX7 has incurable damage.  But I love the light weight portability of MODX, I love being able to throw it on my back, i like i can almost flip it around on stage for quick set up and strik with one hand, and I have a hard shell SKB TSA flight case for it that in total is only 34 lbs and flies as standard luggage for travel gigs.  Idunno. For now - lets take care of 1 and 2 and we’ll think future later.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I use a Pro Gig bag from Gator for my MODX-7: 

G-PG-76SLIM

It's a little bit snug, but fits OK and very well padded and reinforced. I am going to try and post some photos to give you an idea. It also had room for SUS pedal on the side. I had posted in the MODX huge thread from 3 yrs ago, but I think the photos went away when the forum changed. Let's see if the photos will attach here...

_gator_4128.jpg

_gator_4133.jpg

_gator_4134.jpg

_gator_4135.jpg

_gator_4139.jpg

_gator_4140.jpg

_gator_4141.jpg

and as I did a search for that old thread, it was you who had started it... I had posted even more photos then, which I still have if helpful... BTW- I think that price has gone up (as some ppl had been mentioning in another recent thread). Hard to find good-fitting bags for 73-76 key boards... I got a CP73 a few mos ago and ended up buying and 88-key bag for it, since it's deeper than the MODX7 and won't really fit in the Gator bag... and lots of bags for 73-76 key models are currently out of stock, making it even more complicated... good luck!

Sorry to hear this happened to you, OP!   You relied on one Yamaha product to safely handle another, which make me wonder whether there is any chance that Yamaha might throw even the smallest fragment of a bone your way if you lodge an appropriate complaint.  Fortunately, I've never had to deal with them (so far) regarding an issue of product failure leading to an out-of-pocket expense.

I dropped it off at the only Yamaha-recognized repair shop today.  A lil money to fix what we already have isn’t ever great but thats not my biggest concern.  I play live music for kicks, the money is shit in SoCal unless you’re actually someone or develop an act to sell to corporate clientele.  I’m just an old rocker that wants to rock, i make my money at my day job.  I have stress in my day job - i want gigs to be fun and smooth and not more stress.  I only bring a single board to gigs, Yamaha has never failed me during a show - I just need to get there safely lol.

Yamaho - thank you much for the detailed info.  The one negative review (generally reviewers love that bag) is the backpack straps are only held on by Velcro.  Do you use the backpack straps?   IF the repair goes well, I’m going to order one of those - maybe see how to sew the straps on if possible.  Welcome your thoughts, and thanks again.

Meanwhile, my band mates were saying the Motif XF sounded warmer.  Damnit - shouldn’t have let them hear it.  Yamaha premier lines always have better D/A output circuitry.  But I can’t go back to the Motif interface after many years in MODX.  I’d have to go up to Montage but I don’t want the weight.  My XF was a nicer playing experience, i have to confess.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Whoa.  I just used the very same gigbag as a backpack for my gig tonight, with my MODX7 the only keyboard.  This was an outdoor gig where rain was possible so I set up the very lightest rig I could.  And frankly, my most "sacrificial" rig if the worst were to happen.  I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Modx and it's actually getting harder to boot out of my rig as I start to get better at programming synth sounds on it.  I gave it a pretty quick eval that it can't do them, based on the stock patches, and that was a mistake.

I am forewarned, I'll use the handles from now on.  I frankly have never liked the Yamaha gigbag, it's overpriced and the only thing good about it is the exact fit.  It's nowhere near as protective as the one I had for my Nord electro, and that in turn is not as sturdy as one of the Gator pro-gos.  Or the fusion bags, but those seem to be hard to come by.

I owned a Motif 6 (the first version) and to me the Modx sounds way better, or at least not worse.   I'll grant that the key action is better on the flagship Motif/Montage, though ironically to me the shallow ultra-lite Modx action is better for organ.     "Warmer"....hmmm.   I'd suspect "less hi-fi" if anything, which some might call "warmer".   If there is a D/A quality difference, I'd stand corrected.    Plus my b3 organ sound is absolutely killer thanks to the easy ipad integration.

19 hours ago, Stokely said:

If there is a D/A quality difference, I'd stand corrected

I believe the Montage has slightly better D/A converters than the MODX, but the difference is only really apparent when you have two boards next to each other.  I believe the Montage also has a hotter output than the MODX, but I could be wrong.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

When I started out, every single keyboardist friend or teacher of mine told me repeatedly to avoid the manufacturer branded gig bags, be it Nord, Roland or whatever and use one dedicated bag maker that you trust. In Hungary that is a local company named Veiger. Their bag for my Nord has half the price and double or triple the life expectancy.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Yeah, I needed a bag from Amazon since I was spending a big gift card.  I would have preferred getting either a Fusion bag or Gator Pro-Go, or something similarly built.  I could have gotten the Pro-go and wish I had, the other consideration is that the MODX7 is a bit of an odd size.   

That said, it's worked fine and I'm glad I know to be wary of the backpack straps.

46 minutes ago, Dockeys said:

Is this the place? 

http://www.veiger.hu/veigernew/?page_id=1429

No prices, can you email them with specific measurements? 

Yes

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:01 PM, MotiDave said:

Yamaho - thank you much for the detailed info.  The one negative review (generally reviewers love that bag) is the backpack straps are only held on by Velcro.  Do you use the backpack straps?   IF the repair goes well, I’m going to order one of those - maybe see how to sew the straps on if possible.  Welcome your thoughts, and thanks again.

I don't use the backpack strap... yes, the upper connection is velcro, but it's a pretty good size, and it wraps around, so I seems it would be pretty difficult for it to come loose. Two pics just to try to give you an idea.

Gator-BkPk_1.JPG

Gator-BkPk_2.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 11:36 PM, Stokely said:

Whoa.  I just used the very same gigbag as a backpack for my gig tonight, with my MODX7 the only keyboard.  This was an outdoor gig where rain was possible so I set up the very lightest rig I could.  And frankly, my most "sacrificial" rig if the worst were to happen.  I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Modx and it's actually getting harder to boot out of my rig as I start to get better at programming synth sounds on it.  I gave it a pretty quick eval that it can't do them, based on the stock patches, and that was a mistake.

I am forewarned, I'll use the handles from now on.  I frankly have never liked the Yamaha gigbag, it's overpriced and the only thing good about it is the exact fit.  It's nowhere near as protective as the one I had for my Nord electro, and that in turn is not as sturdy as one of the Gator pro-gos.  Or the fusion bags, but those seem to be hard to come by.

I owned a Motif 6 (the first version) and to me the Modx sounds way better, or at least not worse.   I'll grant that the key action is better on the flagship Motif/Montage, though ironically to me the shallow ultra-lite Modx action is better for organ.     "Warmer"....hmmm.   I'd suspect "less hi-fi" if anything, which some might call "warmer".   If there is a D/A quality difference, I'd stand corrected.    Plus my b3 organ sound is absolutely killer thanks to the easy ipad integration.

Update - so some cracked plastic, Audio Doc said one of the hinges broke - repairable with plastic welding.  word to the wise … Yamaha gig bag can eat  a bag of Ds.  I ordered the Gator Pro go 76 Slim this morning, will report back my impressions.  Picking up the MODX7 later today, will report any added details I learn there as well.  Good day, all, and thanks for those helping me with thoughts an experiences.

I use a Yamaha gig bag (perfect fit) for my MOX8. Similar to the Gator bag shown above (white padded inside, black outside). I never use the detachable shoulder straps. Only the handles.

Only problem I had with it over the 3 years I've had it... One of the handles started to become "undone" (one side of one handle started to fray near where it's stitched onto the bag). But I got it fixed before the whole thing tore off.

I work at a tarp shop, where I am familiar with all the materials (Cordura Nylon outside, Oxford Silk Nylon inside, Polypro Webbing handles) used to make these bags. I just had our seamstress sew on an extra piece of Polypro Webbing onto the handle, on the part that was partially torn. Nice fix.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Argh, for most of cost of the pro-go you are getting I bought that Yamaha bag.  Oh well, not going to fret over it.   However, I am going to take a hard look at the handles before my next show, and avoid the backpack (I find the MODX7 is a bit unwieldy for backpacking due to length anyway...I bang it on stuff too easily.)  

6 hours ago, Fuzzy1 said:

I will never ever use a soft bag . Sure they look good - for a while - then they start to get crappy!  GET A HARD CASE IF YOU REALLY WANT TO PROTECT YOUR GEAR!  Just my two cents!

I have a fabulous SKB TSA hard shell case.  I’ve used it for travel many times (I have their 76 version and oddly is not in production anymore though the 61 and 88 are - its the version with an aluminum metal rim/lip around both the top and bottom shells).

Alas, i used the bag to roll over to the local gig.

6 hours ago, Stokely said:

Argh, for most of cost of the pro-go you are getting I bought that Yamaha bag.  Oh well, not going to fret over it.   However, I am going to take a hard look at the handles before my next show, and avoid the backpack (I find the MODX7 is a bit unwieldy for backpacking due to length anyway...I bang it on stuff too easily.)  

It wasnt the handle that broke, it was the backpack strap. Specifically the bottom end is folded through the clip and then sewn back on itself.  The sewing ripped out on that thin part of strap.  That said, i have never liked the bag as being in sufficiently padded for basic protection - its like I knew better but didn’t do anything until something happened.

the guy at the repair shop asked me if i was going to sell my bag when i told him i already ordered something else - he has someone who wants it.  Lol - he passed the torn strap back thru the clip it was supposed to be attached to and then glued and stapled it to “fix it”.  Fuck that - I’ll never carry it outside again in it.  Burn me once, … not gonna burn me again. Thats just me

I've had my MODX7 for a couple of years now. When I got it, I got this case with it - Gator GK-76 76-Key Lightweight Keyboard Case - It's big enough to hold the MODX7 and a sustain AND Expression Pedal inside of it.

The power cord and my cables fit nicely in the outside pouch. The only problem I had with the Gator case was it weighed more than the MODX. I had to lower the back seats in my KIA Soul to get it in the car. I got tired of schlepping that extra weight around and purchased a Yamaha Soft Case about a year ago. For going back and forth to rehearsals, I use the soft case. If it's a major gig out of town I still trust the extra padding (and wheels) in the Gator. Just my experience; your mileage my vary.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

On 6/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, yamoho said:

I don't use the backpack strap... yes, the upper connection is velcro, but it's a pretty good size, and it wraps around, so I seems it would be pretty difficult for it to come loose. Two pics just to try to give you an idea.

Gator-BkPk_1.JPG

Gator-BkPk_2.JPG

A few updates:

- I got the Gator Pro-Go 76slim.  It is really a nice bag- sooooo different than that shit Yamaha bag.  Big update on that - the backpack straps are now sewn into the bag, not a velcro attachment.  Picture below.  I haven;’t found that rain cover they said is in here (haven’t looked so …)

- I left a complaint message at Yamaha.  Explained their strap broke and caused my keyboard to be broken.  I got a reply from customer service asking me for my mailing address and proof of purchase.  I was really excited for about 3 days thinking they might … would they? … really? … send me another MODX7.
uh no - they then followed up and told me to call the repair shop I had already taken my board to.  I replied just that, I already took it and he had to plastic weld and glue because he didn’t have case replacement parts.  No reply yet - its been another 3 or 4 days. 

- I’ve used my board at home now for a bit over a week, so far it plays the same - no glitches or clues of ghosts in the circuitry.  I’ll be watching, welcome anythoughts

97381C5A-0E4D-4E46-AD2C-CAF67FCAF675.thumb.jpeg.41fb0d44371c8576f3848088788d5fd4.jpeg

1CFB2E36-3BED-4848-BA23-4FB5EB1B065E.jpeg

5806728B-2B37-4734-B1CF-036F2197DD7D.jpeg