Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hard Case for 73- or 76-key Keyboard (TSA Approved)

Here's some info which might help out those looking for a hard case for a 73- or 76-key high-end board -- at a very affordable price.

I had recently picked up a Hammond SK Pro 73 and quickly knew there was "no way" I'd be schlepping that nice board around in a soft case...  So I did some shopping on the way home from getting the Hammond.

I knew all about the Gator GTSA series from posts on this forum, as well as the SKB line of hard cases.  But as it turns out, I found something at a sporting goods store that is comparable in both features and quality -- and is also TSA rated -- but costs less than half of the Gator model shown below ($499 on STWTR).

I got a brand new Pelican Vault V800 for less than the Amazon price (of $239) and I'm really pleased with the quality and the price -- as I only paid $215 cash, no tax.

Here's how the Pelican V800 Vault (first # listed) compares to the GTSA-Key76 case:

* External L:  56" vs 57"

* External W:  19.2" vs 21.5"

* External H:  6.7" vs 8"

* Internal L:  53" vs 51.5"

* Internal W:  16" vs 18"

* Internal H:  6" vs 5.5"

* Weight:  25# vs 28"

Both cases have tough molded polyethylene construction, wheels on 1 end, handles on both ends and a large handle in the middle; with o-ring seals and plenty of foam padding to cut or manipulate to size.  (I will easily be able to fit the sustain and Leslie pedals, plus the power cord, in foam cutouts.)

At this point, I don't think I'll ever fly with my Hammond; but for sure, it will now be very well protected when I take it outside the house.

Just one more thing -- neither of these cases are SMALL -- be sure you have room to store it somewhere... 😉

Old No7

Hard Cases 76.jpg

• Like 2

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Last year I got the Apache 9800 from Harbor Freight which is slightly smaller than the Pelican. It works well for the Nord Stage 3 Compact and may fit other 73-76 note keyboards. The price has gone up recently but I got it for under $120 on sale. In comparison tests the Pelican holds up better when driving a truck over it. The official Nord soft carry bag is over $200.spacer.png 

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

I picked up a Gator TSA 61 for my Forte 7--which is 7 octaves, but it's compact enough to perfectly fit into this case.  It's as if it were made for it.

I got it from Thomann, which even with high shipping was quite a bit cheaper (by over 100 dollars) than anywhere else I could find.  (If you need anything else from Thomann, get it in the same order since it typically doesn't increase shipping.)

So far I love it, I don't fly with keyboards so it's overkill but I wanted something with wheels that could also be stacked on a cart when needed.  I have a longer 88-key semi-rigid I'd been using, but besides being way too big and cumbersome for the Forte 7, you can't really put anything on it safely.

My buddy uses something like that Pelican (maybe the Harbor Freight equivalent?) for his Nord Stage 3 and he's quite happy with it.  

A friend of mine bought a Nord Electro 1 right when it came out for jazz gigs.  At the time, there were no hard cases available that weren't 8 inches longer than the keyboard itself (I don't think the backpack case was available either, but longtime Nord users can correct me on that) so she went and bought a short rifle case for it (not sure what brand) and it withstood years of gigs going to and from on NYC public transit.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

3 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

In comparison tests the Pelican holds up better when driving a truck over it....

Good to know -- but I will try to avoid that!

1 hour ago, GotKeys said:

So she went and bought a short rifle case for...

going to and from on NYC public transit.

I'll bet that raised a few eyebrows and blood pressures.

Yes, the Pelican Vault V800 is their "Double Rifle Case".

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

3 minutes ago, Old No7 said:

I'll bet that raised a few eyebrows and blood pressures.

She told me she got stopped more than a few times on the subway...

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

3 hours ago, timwat said:

I have a question on the Double Vault case. The website says internal height is 6.0". My CP4 is supposed to be 6.3". Is the way this case closes going to make it a non-starter for the CP4?

Gee, I think so...

The SK Pro is only 4.3" tall...  The Vault came with (5) pieces of foam inside.  I left the original 2 foam pieces inside the cover (flush with it), and removed 2 of the 3 that filled the bottom.  That leaves 1 foam piece below it (1" thick), with the 2 pieces (1.5") in the cover above it (for more protection for keys, knobs and switches), and the other 2 pieces of foam, which total 3.5", will be cut out so that the SK Pro sits inside of it (along with the 2 pedals and cord too).  So my 4.3" board sits inside the cut-out 3.5" foam pieces, thereby getting a slight compression fit into the top and bottom foam (I'm no engineer, but I think that's how it works out).

As the CP4 is 6.3" that doesn't leave any room for foam -- and the hard plastic won't compress.  The Gator case might work if the difference between its external and internal dimensions is due to compressable ("spell check, aisle 7") foam.

Old No7

tool pro case, bought for flying with my Hammond SK1.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-safe-case-long-black-1335-x-405-x-155mm/566671.html#q=Case%2Btool%2Bpro&lang=en_AU&start=3

Not sure why music cases are so much more expensive than gun or tool cases, but I no longer look at SKB or Gator. The only hard case I’ve ever had fail was an small SKB rack case, probably dropped on the tarmac at exactly the wrong angle (thanks Qantas) and one of the latches split.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

21 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

Last year I got the Apache 9800 from Harbor Freight which is slightly smaller than the Pelican. It works well for the Nord Stage 3 Compact and may fit other 73-76 note keyboards. The price has gone up recently but I got it for under $120 on sale. In comparison tests the Pelican holds up better when driving a truck over it. The official Nord soft carry bag is over $200.spacer.png 

I use the same thing for my NS3C, came here to recommend it! Harbor Freight runs coupons all the time so it's easy to get on the cheap and works great with the Nord Soft Case inside as padding ( with all the foam removed).

Live Rig: CP88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Moog Sub Phatty

5 hours ago, Adam Burgess said:

I just gave away a Pelican 'something' case for a friend of mine bringing his old DX from Scotland to the UAE.
He arrived yesterday and the keyboard survived the flight, by the looks!

dc2ea9ae-31b1-4f22-94e8-3583280f9e0e.JPG

That case looks identical to the one my friend used for her Nord Electro, but I'm not sure, since she sold it 6 or 7 years ago.  I just remember that there was space for a sustain pedal and an expression pedal next to the keyboard, so it is entirely possible that was the same case, if not a similar model.

I would never have considered adding one of these bulky, heavy cases to my rig, but a few of these recent threads - and some upcoming gigs out of town that include van/plane treks - have me wondering about the gun cases. It is just wild how this particular area of the market works - Gator and SKB apparently just rip people off, selling essentially same product as the Pelican and Apache gun cases for twice as much without even marketing any keyboard-specific features to differentiate. Very odd/bad!

For what it's worth, this Pelican Vault 700 case appears to fit the Mojo 61, and although it doesn't have wheels, it only weighs 16 pounds and has linear dimensions of roughly 62 inches, bringing the whole package in under checked baggage weight and size limits without incurring extra baggage fees (at least according to my untested estimating abilities). Here is how the V700 fits into an OB-6. For whatever reason, Adorama is selling a bunch of them open box right now for $89. In contrast, SKB appears to be just stealing money by charging at least double the price for all their 61-note hard cases.

If I were going to get a hard case for some of the more compact 73-76 note keyboards like the CP73, I would probably get the Pelican Vault 730, which has wheels and is selling for less than most higher-end soft cases and half the cost of a Nord case.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

20 hours ago, sagetunes said:

Hmm, I was just looking at bags and cases for my Summit, which I'd like to start bringing out to gigs again.  I have an older molded case but I worry that the foam might be crumbling a bit, and I don't really like it anyway.  The Summit is 39 inches and quite slim, this case might just work for it.  

I can't seem to find the internal dimensions on that, still looking.  Obviously with guns they can go in at an angle and they aren't very deep like a keyboard!

Edit: didn't take long, one of the Q & As state:  
43 x 13 x 5 inches for internal dimensions.

That's a pretty darn good fit, 3-4 inches too wide but no biggie I'm sure just to have foam there.

Edit 2:  Gah, a different answer says "Each half is 14 x 37 x 3 inches".  Crap.  37 in is two inches too short.   A bunch of other answers are all different.  WTF.  I guess if it has a return policy I could take a chance on it.

14 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I just bought the SKB 3i-5014-TKBD for my SK Pro 73. Fits perfect and I got a really good deal on it from Sweetwater. It'll be accompanying me via flights all around the US and internationally this year.

Jim I just bought the same keyboard. It's awesome.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com