Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Invisible Stand Part

Hi All,

I'm looking for a part for my Invisible stand. It's one of those small, plastic square tube end caps that plugs into the top of the stand (see picture). According to my ruler, the square tube measures 3/4" so I ordered some end caps from the company at the link below (part # 35-34-6). They are ridiculously inexpensive, so I ordered a few 1" end caps, just in case.

Click Here

Well, to my surprise, neither fits! The 3/4" end cap is too small, and the 1" end cap is too large. In the interim, I've been placing a small piece of rubber on top of the stand, and once my second-tier keyboard sits on top of it, this works fine. I only use the Invisible stand for my smaller rehearsal rig, but it's still a bit of a annoyance/hassle to do this every time, so I'd like to find an end cap that precisely fits into the top of the stand. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Invisible Stand.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Yeah, I've lost them too. I have pieces of foam taped on. The aesthetics don't bother me, no one sees it when there's a keyboard on it anyway, I just don't want to risk having that exposed metal scratch the underside of a keyboard.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Dont know if this helps but measure  in metric too. And measure the replacement plugs in metric.

In Aussie we have problems in that pre metric we used the imperial sysyem but for decades weve been metric.

Meaning upon buying items we have to juggle both measures and hope people selling new old stock they state as imperial isnt metric or visa versa.

Example all our old houses are built with imperial sizes yet we have to buy modern replacements in metric. Sometimes its a direct size replacement but others its a complete redo in a metric size meaning changing stuff. It makes me very wary when buying stuff.

Unlikely but Is there a chance that company is selling a batch of metric plugs as imperial???

Or is there a chance the stands were made with metric tubing (i doubt this as im sure those are US made stands)

Solution if you cant find simply buy oversized solid rubber plugs and simply file down the over sized tongue till you reach 3/4. Assuming the tounge goes inside the tube and not over the tube. Or if you are handy make a plug in wood and rasp down till desired shape and size is achieved. Certain  Wood can be appropriately soft on keyboard or get some teflon bar.

If it goes over the tube it could be shimmed with tape till the plug fit tightly.

Or either in or over simply siliconed/glued in if not needing to come out

Alternatively the mentioned 3d printing is a go you could supply those on here who need them

Did a quick check

3/4" is 19mm in metric (19.05 to be precise) hence the closest tube around thst size in metric would be 20mm so if the tubing actually properly measured out at 20mm a proper 3/4" plug would be loose in the tube. Seems unlikely as these stands are made in US I thought.

And of coarse 1" is roughly 25.4 mm if i remember correctly so heaps bigger.

Now if the stands were made in europe they may have been metric tubes.

If you measure a 20mm metric tube with a ruler its easy to mistake it for 3/4 as the size is so close and rulers are imprecise.

Its a thing we live with in Aussie because of the metric changover even decades later.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:34 PM, 16251 said:

Seems like an easy piece to 3D print.

You don't say... 😎

Top: Series-2 factory caps

Bottom: Series-3 caps I printed for Moonglow.

20220416_115840.jpg

~ vonnor

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Update:

Vonnor's end caps are a tremendous success! This product is of the highest quality and craftsmanship. I can tell they will be way more durable than the original end caps. Cool thing is that I'll think of his thoughtfulness and kind gesture every time I set up that stand! 

Invisible Stand - New End Cap.jpg

• Like 9

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

You're too kind, Chris. I do this work as a hobby because it's fun. Glad I can help out another KC-er!

~ vonnor

• Like 2

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• 2 months later...

Dang I wish I had never sold my Invisible Brand stand.

who owns the patent for this design? How could I find out?

anyone got one they wanna sell?

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

59 minutes ago, dazzjazz said:

Dang I wish I had never sold my Invisible Brand stand.

who owns the patent for this design? How could I find out?

U.S. patents don't last for more than 20 years, so it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe I'm imagining this, but I thought someone here once discussed the possibility of remanufacturing them, and what improvements could possibly be made. But that would have been quite some time ago.

Maybe we should suggest that Behringer clone them. ;-)

59 minutes ago, dazzjazz said:

anyone got one they wanna sell?

I have a number of them, so selling an invisible may not be impossible. Are you looking for a particular version? (Discussion at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/176299-an-invisibler-rig-build/#comment-2802532 )

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm not sure about the different versions - i can't remember which version I had, probably the earlier one as I had it in 1986.

That other thread seems to be more about the 3d printing of keyboard end caps?

Interested in buying one for sure. 

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

2 minutes ago, dazzjazz said:

That other thread seems to be more about the 3d printing of keyboard end caps?

Yes, I pointed to it just because it has the best description I've seen of the different versions.

15 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

U.S. patents don't last for more than 20 years, so it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe I'm imagining this, but I thought someone here once discussed the possibility of remanufacturing them, and what improvements could possibly be made. But that would have been quite some time ago.

Given how much these stands are revered, I’m somewhat surprised no one has pursued this, although surely there would be a lot involved. If I had the time, money, talent, etc., to pursue such an endeavor, I’d call them “X-Ray” stands. :cool:

- George Bernard Shaw

I had actually done some work towards doing at least a small run of them with some minor changes, as well as a better carrying case for the stand (the original Invisible bag/sack was pretty lame). Of course, life got in the way and I never had the time to actually move forward with it. 

But as someone mentioned, even if it was patented back in the day it has long since expired. For someone with any welding experience the base it fairly straight forward. The chrome arms would be a bigger commitment, but if someone wanted to do it they certainly could. 

5 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

The chrome arms would be a bigger commitment, but if someone wanted to do it they certainly could. 

One change I'd make would be to replace the chrome arms with aluminum pieces that were flat and square instead of thin and round. That would increase the contact area between the keyboard and the support arms, even allowing velcro for those who are afraid of light keyboards moving too easily. It also then becomes easier to come up with ways to add height or angles (the big rubber circular pieces to do that on an Invisible were a weak point, reducing stability of the board you put on them), and it's also easier to find ways to clamp things if need be (like a tablet holder).

• Like 1