Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An Invisibler Rig Build

I recently snagged a Gen-2 Invisible Keyboard stand, and one thing led to another. Doctored it up with black hardware and nut-caps. Found a MOEN Pedal-Bridge pedalboard that fits like a glove under the stand, got some pedals, snake-cable, connectors, and a junction-box coming next week.

And... to make it real interesting (and match the pedalboard), I ordered some bright-red PLA filament, and spent all day today 3D-modelling the end panels for my Arturia controller. Will print them over the long weekend.

The Kronos end panels are next. :cool:

Invisibler_Rig_01.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_06.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_09.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_02.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_05.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_04.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_03.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_12.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_11.jpg

Stay tuned.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Blender for a while, but it ended up being a major time hog, so I haven't used it for a few years (I wasn't doing this kind of thing though - I was trying sci-fi animation :laugh:).

Honestly the wood grain looks great with that stand IMO, but have fun. :thu:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Bill - I still have your old Invisible stand around here somewhere.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Well at the time of this post, Photobucket is down so I have attachments. So far I got the keyboard end blocks printed. The right end panel is on the bed and to paraphrase Jon Bon-Jersey it's half way there and I'm livin' on a prayer that nothing glitches up from here on out. It's a 2.5 day print job total per end cap.

I wound up going with black, since the red I need was back ordered and sold out all over Amazon.

~ vonnor

1060.thumb.jpg.6ccce89cd7f5a03c4a9a9777d6a28471.jpg

1061.thumb.jpg.f56e8c84e9928bdd1677884134b3e2d3.jpg

Gear:

Photobucket still having issues. I submitted a tech support issue yesterday but have not heard back yet. In the mean time here's a couple pix of the 3D modeled and printed right end panel. Two day print and the 2nd attempt. 1st try failed due to a Windows update reboot. :(

~ vonnor

1092.thumb.jpg.aeab164d2a21bafa19e7590448cf15c3.jpg

1093.thumb.jpg.92e1bbd60a95ed562d95c1a7c2100d12.jpg

Gear:

Not an exact replica of the original shape, but a close interpretation. Here's the frame and key block attached.

1094.thumb.jpg.efff4f0f9017ab37b2110dc738436322.jpg

Gear:

Vonnor and Eric, how many generations were there of the Invisible Stand? I have what I consider to be an early version, and 3 or 4 others of what I think are the most common version that might be Gen 2? I think they made a third version near the end, but were there more?

As I understand it, there were three generations.

The 1st gen was heavier gauge steel and had unique spring-clips for height adjustment, as well as welded hook and "U" at either end of the turnbuckle bar. Also had edge-joint welds at the ends of the cross support bar (where the bar was bent 90deg then welded to the collar).

2nd gen was also heavy steel but had (something different from the spring-clips: can't recall atm) for height adjustment, and stamped steel loops that the turnbuckle bar hooked to. Same cross support bar welds as gen 1.

3rd gen was lighter gauge steel, had ringed retainer pins for height adjustment, eye bolts and wing nuts for the turnbuckle bar, and T-joint (butt) welds on the cross support bar.

The one I have and am doing the build with is a heavily modded gen 2.

Gear:

I presume that the 3D printed end panels are lighter than the wood panels?

Only slightly, although the one you see will likely be re-printed using PLA Plus. The PLA filament is not very hard and even my fingernail leaves a permanent scratch on the surface.

As we speak though, I have a footrest printing. Since the MOEN PedalBridge is sloped and not flat, it's a bit difficult to use the damper footswitches. The footrest attached to the first crossbar will make it easier.

~ vonnor

1104.thumb.jpg.e4bc12acca3efbf8e4710723b39a953d.jpg

Gear:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Keylab88 put back together with the new end panels.

Invisibler_Rig_19.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_17.jpg

Kinda looks like wood grain:

Invisibler_Rig_18.jpg

With the footrest in place it's very comfortable to pedal either standing or sitting, and I can reach the leslie-speed switch just by pivoting my foot a little. Don't have to lift my heel on either foot.

Invisibler_Rig_15.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_16.jpg

Note the invisible stand support bars fit just inside the rubber feet to keep it centered and stable:

Invisibler_Rig_14.jpg

Next is the Kronos end panels. The plan is to be similar to the Synave design but not exactly the same. My 3D modelling skills are not super great.

~ vonnor

Gear:

That is super cool.

I ended up with a bright silver spider pro; I preferred the black but it was 100 bucks more :D

Ironically the only few comments I've ever gotten about my rig from either bandmates or patrons has been saying that stand looks cool. I'm like, what about what's on it!?

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the Kronos Right End Cap model today and it's on the printer as we speak.

Kronos_EndCap_R.jpg

~ vonnor

Gear:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay in capping off this thread, but I had to suffer through a multitude of 3D Printing Noob issues.

Anyway here's the final rig. Kronos with custom modeled and printed end panels, and the same for the Arturia Keylab-88B.

I originally modeled and printed the one in the pic below, but it was too much like the Synave design and I didn't want any copyright issues. Plus the printer has some problems with all the cutouts and transition angles, which you can see in the third photo.

All in all I like how it turned out. :cool:

Invisibler_Rig_30.jpg

Invisibler_Rig_31.jpg

Original idea - encroaching on the Synave design...

Invisibler_Rig_32.jpg

~ vonnor

Gear:

• 9 months later...

The 1st gen was heavier gauge steel and had unique spring-clips for height adjustment, as well as welded hook and "U" at either end of the turnbuckle bar. Also had edge-joint welds at the ends of the cross support bar (where the bar was bent 90deg then welded to the collar).

2nd gen was also heavy steel but had (something different from the spring-clips: can't recall atm) for height adjustment, and stamped steel loops that the turnbuckle bar hooked to. Same cross support bar welds as gen 1.

3rd gen was lighter gauge steel, had ringed retainer pins for height adjustment, eye bolts and wing nuts for the turnbuckle bar, and T-joint (butt) welds on the cross support bar.

I have two styles, the older (1st or 2nd gen based on the above, I'm not clear on the difference) and the last.

The older one has a removable/detachable crossbar, and assembles/diassembles/moves in 4 pieces, whereas the newer one has a folding crossbar, and moves in one piece.

The older one has the heavier steel, the newer one has the thinner.

The older one has a minimum usable distance of 5" between the two tiers, the newer one is 6" (though you can address that by drilling more holes).

The height adjuster is an odd-shaped silver snap-in piece on the older, and a nut-and-bolt on the newer, illustrated below (so if there is a variation with ringed retainer pins, that would be a fourth type).

IMG-7139.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have two styles, the older (1st or 2nd gen based on the above, I'm not clear on the difference) and the last.

The older one has a removable/detachable crossbar, and assembles/diassembles/moves in 4 pieces, whereas the newer one has a folding crossbar, and moves in one piece.

The older one has the heavier steel, the newer one has the thinner.

The older one has a minimum usable distance of 5" between the two tiers, the newer one is 6" (though you can address that by drilling more holes).

The height adjuster is an odd-shaped silver snap-in piece on the older, and a nut-and-bolt on the newer, illustrated below (so if there is a variation with ringed retainer pins, that would be a fourth type).

IMG-7139.jpg

I think you have a Gen 1 and Gen 3 Scott.

I was told by a former dealer that the Gen 2 was the most produced of the three; the Gen 1 was the first year or two, and the Gen 3 was at the tail end of the company. Eric might remember more clearly as he was an early adopter and communicated with the company back in the day, but I think they were around for about 8 years or so? I seem to remember them in the early 80's coming out, and being blown out at retail around 1990 or so?

I have one Gen 1 and three Gen 2's. I've never seen the Gen 3 in all my years of buying them.