Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smallest/lightest keyboard stands?

I recently built a pedalboard using Pedaltrain Nano max that I use with EPs on my Nord Piano.  I would like to take it out with me in rehearsals and gigs and such - if I didn't have 2 keyboards in my setup (Nord Piano + Minilogue XD), I would just put the pedalboard on the 2nd tier of my usual X-stand.  I probably would do this any time I don't need to take the extra synth with me, but alas I need to find another piece of gear for when this is not the case.  Right now I am considering getting another keyboard stand to place the pedalboard on to use beside me.  I was thinking another X-stand could work as the pedalboard is 28 inches long - long enough that it wouldn't make it unwieldy. 

I already have enough gear to schlep as is, so I'm trying to find the lightest/most convenient possible solution for this, one that I could likely carry in 1 arm along with the other stand. 

Here are some of the options I've already found:

K&M 18880 (https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18880-table-style-keyboard-stand-black) - 3.18kg, advantage being that length adjustments don't affect the height.  I was actually considering replacing my current stand with the 3 tier option as well, but the length required for the synth/pedalboard would be too small to confidently hold the bigger keyboard underneath.

K&M 18969 (https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/x-stands/18969-keyboard-stand-for-kids-black?c=170) - 3kg, small kids size so height would be better at low lengths than a regular sized stand.  Also very slightly lighter and easier to transport I would assume than the K&M 18880.

K&M 18997 (https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/x-stands/18997-keyboard-stand-black?c=170) - 2.45kg, lightest X-stand I've found and actually the stand that I use already.  I could just get another one.

Stay Compact (https://www.staymusicstands.com/products/supports-for-keyboards/compact/compact/) - 2kg, lightest stand out of anything I've seen so far and would probably be my number 1 choice if I could actually find a way to get the thing to Canada.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?  Maybe there are some other kids-sized stands out there or something.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set my K&M 18880 with the legs 18” apart.  According to the specs on Sweetwater, the Minilogue XD is 19.69” wide so you should be OK, and the pedalboard at 28” will be no problem at that width. 

Your Nord piano will be fine on the bottom.  It is the same width as my NS3-HA88.  

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

8 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

The smallest/lightest stands all start with the letter "X".

Id say the Stay Compact (2 kg) would be the lightest, at least half of many steel Xstands. Not sure about aluminium Xstands but the ones you link to are very light so probably alluminium. (I couldn't open the links properly)

I have a 2 tier Slim (2.9 kg) and Its also very compact in its bag.

But the fore mentioned Stay Compact is the lightest Stay as its basically a cut down Stay Slim removing the top tier and a chunk of the centre column. And the slim is light.

I dont dislike Xstands as my fav stand I own is a pro 2 tier xstand from the good old days   but its so heavy and bulky i bought a Stay as my health is stuffed. The lighter the better.

Also, the K&M 18880 weighs less than any X stand (<10lbs) even with the second tier attached:

20211117_101222.jpg

20211120_075757.jpg

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

18 hours ago, John Salazar said:

K&M 18969 (https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/x-stands/18969-keyboard-stand-for-kids-black?c=170) - 3kg, small kids size so height would be better at low lengths than a regular sized stand.  Also very slightly lighter and easier to transport I would assume than the K&M 18880.

I frequently use an old child sized X stand for rehearsals involving 7X key boards.  So light and portable, and sturdier than you might guess.  

2 hours ago, DJKeys said:

Also, the K&M 18880 weighs less than any X stand (<10lbs) even with the second tier attached:

20211117_101222.jpg

20211120_075757.jpg

Are you able to adjust the depth of the 2nd tier arms?  I would maybe want to shift the 2nd board up but forward as well.

23 hours ago, DJKeys said:

DJ, How did you create that mic attachment thingy?  Ive been wanting to do that for a while but havent figured it out yet.

21 hours ago, John Salazar said:

Are you able to adjust the depth of the 2nd tier arms?  I would maybe want to shift the 2nd board up but forward as well.

I actually cut 3 inches off of the top tier, so it is that much longer from the factory with these pins at the end to hold the 2nd board in place-

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/243576-k-m-18881-keyboard-stacker-a?dfw_tracker=36058-243576&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl7qSBhD-ARIsACvV1X0EUfDyXQFDxSNYx1crotdhw3HBFcwt-qbAxNscWoQEgRVaF5Rkj3MaAkVhEALw_wcB

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

1 hour ago, NosPup said:

I used the main part of one of the On Stage KSA7575 mic attachments.  I forced it in with a hammer and them used JB Weld to secure it.  However, it will never come out!

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

• 2 months later...

This is the best stand I have ever gigged with. Been using it for years.  Super light and sets up in about 15 seconds….

https://www.butlermusic.com/3425-quik-lok-z-71alu---ultralight-aluminum-professional-rapid-setup-keyboard-stand

image.thumb.png.7119f03e2a9c2da50f39edc3cc83b849.png

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

As has been alluded to in numerous posts above, for low weight, as in many other situations, style is less important than substance. ;-) If the substance is aluminum, you've got a lightweight stand of whatever type you're considering.

As for that K&M 1880, it's 7 lbs for single tier, 9.2 lbs for 2-tier, 11.5 lbs for 3-tier. So, certainly a contender for lowest weight stands.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)