Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

leslie amp power tubes already getting scarce !

last week , i figured it would be wise to stock up on some 6550s , we've gotten into the habit of changing them every year and a half - two years  . our go to vender

is already out of the EVs and few of the other Russian made pieces . i've done some reading on the subject , supply chain issues already have made a dent , and it looks

like recent events  have made it worse . never realized there were so few sources for vacuum tubes .  

Bill this made it over to the technicians page on Facebook.  A lot of people can't get Kt88's either. Mine have been on back order for months.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Welcome to the world of tube amps. The good news is that there will be some unpopular tube that gets overlooked for awhile and you can get get a tech to mod your amp to run on it for a couple hundred bucks. Or maybe more, but when the price of 6550s goes to $100 per tube, the mod may be a bargain.

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Welcome to the world of tube amps. The good news is that there will be some unpopular tube that gets overlooked for awhile and you can get get a tech to mod your amp to run on it for a couple hundred bucks. Or maybe more, but when the price of 6550s goes to $100 per tube, the mod may be a bargain.

No there is a lot of new old stock out there in collections.  I doubt it will get that bad.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'm rusty on manufacturing standards -- isn't part of the problem that economically manufacturing tubes these days is a hazardous process most countries' environmental laws don't permit?  So we rely on countries with lax environmental laws to do the dirty work? 

10 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

I'm rusty on manufacturing standards -- isn't part of the problem that economically manufacturing tubes these days is a hazardous process most countries' environmental laws don't permit?  So we rely on countries with lax environmental laws to do the dirty work? 

The few companies making tubes in the US saw solid state replacing tubes so time to get out of the business.  That tubes for musical instruments was just too small of a niche market so leave it to other countries.   

I'm old enough to remember drug stores having tube testing machines and sold tubes for radios, TVs, and musical instruments.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Docbop said:

The few companies making tubes in the US saw solid state replacing tubes so time to get out of the business.  That tubes for musical instruments was just too small of a niche market so leave it to other countries.   

I'm old enough to remember drug stores having tube testing machines and sold tubes for radios, TVs, and musical instruments.  

In the town I group up in there was store that sold tubes, it was called Pino's.  I can remember the 10 of dozens of boxes of various tubes . 

46 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

No there is a lot of new old stock out there in collections.  I doubt it will get that bad.

About 10 years ago I purchased replacement tubes from the 'Tube Depot' in Va.(?) for my percussion unit in my B3.  The boxes were from a lot made in Philadelphia stamped with a date of manufacturer of 1953.  

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

3 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

I have one Leslie amp that can run either 6550s or EL34s (switch selectable).  EL34s are currently about half the price of 6550s.

I'm so glad I stocked up on my favorite 6550s (Winged-C Svets)  several years ago!  I have never changed them anywhere near your 1.5-2 year schedule though so I expect to be in good shape for years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChoppedHam said:

There must be a difference, but I haven't noticed it.

They are rated about the same. EL34s cant take as much abuse as 6550s so they will have to be biased cooler and changed more often. And the distortion in guitar amps is different between these types of tubes so I would assume that 6550 grind in a leslie will sound more like a Marshall with EL34s.

Jon Lord anyone?

FunMachine.

16 hours ago, bill bosco said:

recently tried a pair of JJs , just don't have the same heft as the EHs

have to take that back , tried the JJs  last night in my home organ , they sweetened up the tone for this particular organ . on stage our C3 needs the extra

push of the EHs 

• Like 1