Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Keylab MKII 49 ? Any love?

Hello again, I'm late to the party regarding midi controllers and have had some help along the way from DD and AS with advice for not using my Hammond sk1 as a controller for VB3M and Korg Module. It's just not CC friendly as we know.

First choice was Code 49, all gone and the few used I found are are missing knobs, sliders etc. not looking for used. I like the Arturia mkii and although it's a bit more expensive, if it covers all the controls I would need for organ, I would go for it. It has expression jack so that's huge, and has enough sliders and knobs that I think it would cover vib/chorus, percussion, db's, sim speeds via wheels...anyone using one of these? It's probably a lot more machine than I need, not looking to produce or record, just an old organ guy looking for an easy chair rehearsal board for fun. I found a thread from @2020 that mentioned this unit as well as a couple other lower priced models. Thanks for your time and input in advance, Joe

The MK II series have the best (well one of the best) synth actions on any controller - and I have played a lot. Reminds me of the old Roland a70 keybed, albeit with slightly shorter keys.

Their MIDI implementation is a bit on the ordinary side, although they have most bases covered. I found I used it most as a "dumb" controller and set everything in the software or the hardware instrument side.

Editing software is a bit quirky but works well enough once you get used to it.

Never used the Keylab libraries as all the free ones were not really up to par tbh.

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Kind of off-topic, but for what it's worth to you, I just bought a Roland a49 for 100 bucks and it is the perfect 49-key controller, as far as I'm concerned. Slim enough to sit on top of a narrow-shelf top keyboard (Mojo 61, in my case) and with an action that most people online seem to say is one of the best for the price point. Unlike the Arturia (to my knowledge, anyway), it is "class compliant" so I can plug my iPad Air directly into the Roland to control Korg Module and VB3 - just takes a USB-C hub. 

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

It is a VERY lightweight synthy action, but you may prefer that in your case.

For a bit more key resistance, the venerable Roland A500 has expression pedal input, plenty of knobs and sliders, but maybe the slightly shorter keys, smaller sliders, and Roland mod-pitch stick isn't your thing. It's also feather light, which makes it great for hauling around the house.

Losing expression pedal input and aftertouch would get you into a lower price tier, where there are some otherwise really capable controllers. 

I make software noises.

7 hours ago, johnchop said:

It is a VERY lightweight synthy action, but you may prefer that in your case.

For a bit more key resistance, the venerable Roland A500 has expression pedal input, plenty of knobs and sliders, but maybe the slightly shorter keys, smaller sliders, and Roland mod-pitch stick isn't your thing. It's also feather light, which makes it great for hauling around the house.

Losing expression pedal input and aftertouch would get you into a lower price tier, where there are some otherwise really capable controllers. 

Sorry, I disagree with that. You must be used to banging tree trunks :D

As I wrote it is very akin to the A70 and the Korg PA4x (albeit slightly smaller keys)

And the MK II's have sustain AND expression pedal inputs.

I know this as I owned one but from the site:

Huge connectivity, including expression, sustain, CV/Gate, MIDI, USB and 3 assignable auxiliary pedal inputs

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

5 hours ago, jpgxk3 said:

Thanks guys, going to look at the Roland 500; might just be the ticket for me. The Keylab is very nice, but seems like overkill for what I'm looking at. Joe

It's a good choice also :)

We know Reezekeys speaks very highly of his A800 PRO which I assume is the same board – velocity settings as well as dynamic range are prime reasons. I like the fact it has 9 drawbars and expression input are must-haves for controlling organs.

EDIT:  Oops.. just realized there's an A500 (S, not PRO). Not sure I'd want that one. The PRO model is what I was speaking of.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

Hello, I got it last June (came the same day as my Nautilus- as I mentioned in another post it was the highlight of my year, a healing from 2020).

Anyway- I go the 61 key mkII and used it on my PC and just hooked it up to my Mac with no problems so far and interfaced with Studio One.

I use it with Analog Lab 5, as well as Arturia's piano V which it came with (mostly I use addictive keys).

I would say the three things I like most about it are the 1) transport controls for the sequencer- it eliminates hitting stop/go/record etc. on your computer

2) the faders are good for mixing; however I probably would need to get Arturia's B3 to get full use as drawbars or learn how to use it with other software such as UVi's organs.

3) The pads are neat to have, I might need to remap them for use in toon track.

I'll need to spend more time on the midi controllers, to see what other things I can do. 

As a side note- I was in NYC I tried the 88 key version and liked the action- 

I am wondering how it would go with Arturia's main software that allows more edits .

17 hours ago, drawback said:

Arturia’s build quality is second to none and their support is prompt and knowledgeable. 

This is true.
Asked about using my existing Korg DS1H sustain pedal and they just don't work; but, they went above and beyond to explain why, and recommended Yammy FC pedals.
Nice feeling keybed and I actually liked the 61mkII so much, I bought an 88, too.
Software is pretty good - I use the Piano V2 and Analog Lab a lot.
The Editor was a bit buggy on MacOS Monterey (M1 Macs), and you have to force it to open in Rosetta.

I was referring to an A500 PRO...didn't realize there was an S model.

As for Keylab action... not sure what to say :D... the ones I've played have always felt very light compared to the Akai MPK and M-Audio and Novation stuff. Go figure. I always thought the velocity response was even and the aftertouch response was pretty much perfect.

• Like 1
I make software noises.

1 hour ago, johnchop said:

I was referring to an A500 PRO...didn't realize there was an S model.

As for Keylab action... not sure what to say :D... the ones I've played have always felt very light compared to the Akai MPK and M-Audio and Novation stuff. Go figure. I always thought the velocity response was even and the aftertouch response was pretty much perfect.

The S controller is discontinued, but still shows up on Roland’s website.

Perhaps you were thinking of the KeyLab Essential which is their entry-level series. Yeah, that’s more of a toy feeling. Confusion over KeyLab controllers have happened before. 

Here for the gear.

Well, no, really thinking of the mkii here, but horses for courses. That said, it's a rugged piece of kit, festooned with all the right kobbage and sliderage. I've got a 61-key on my wishlist for when I've got the room for one. I wouldn't put one on my lap though.

I make software noises.

I have a 61 key Keylab MKII Arturia for a lightweight grab and go rig to use with a laptop/mainstage or iPhone, or as an extra keyboard to drive my multi-timbral Kurzweil PC4-7. Since the wheels are up top on the 61 vs on the side on the 49 key version, at 15.4 pounds the 61 is only 1.5 pounds heavier than the 49 key version and it's just 3.3 inches wider.  

5 hours ago, drawback said:

The S controller is discontinued, but still shows up on Roland’s website.

Never heard of this - an A500 Pro "S", Really? Any links? I'm curious.

Anyway, in the true spirit of everyone recommending the particular controller they use, yes I like my A-800 Pro. I have two; one became homebound when I chewed up its main board with the 3rd desolder & replacement of its USB jack. My newer A800's USB jack has been fine the last few years. The one at home works fine using 5-pin midi, and now I can leave my "road" A800 in its case for all the gigs I don't have!

The lack of aftertouch and expression is what seems to separate the lowest-end controllers from the rest. Although I would probably not buy a controller without AT, I'll admit that I rarely if ever use it. Expression pedal is a different story - that's a necessity.

I have no problem with the A-pro's keyboard feel although I noted once on these parts that my older one has more resistance - counterintuitive as you'd think springs would lose their "springiness" after lots of flexing. Maybe Roland changed suppliers. Still, I find myself able to roll with a pretty wide range of keyboard actions. I'm aware that many on this board are way more particular about that than I am.

I remember checking out an Arturia controller once and was impressed with it's feel and features. Can't speak on it's reliability like I can with my A-Pros. I got my first one ten years ago, my second 4 1/2 years ago. They've both been banged around many airplanes' baggage holds, manhandled by baggage handlers, TSA agents, and various venues' stage crews, and are still kicking. It took the stage crew at the Hollywood bowl to precipitate my final (unsuccessful) try soldering a new USB jack into my first A-Pro.

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Never heard of this - an A500 Pro "S", Really? Any links? I'm curious.

I was surprised too! I didn't say A500 Pro S though. When I double checked my earlier post I searched for simply an "A500" that was alluded to by johnchop and this "S" one came up:  https://www.roland.com/global/products/a-500s/ 

Looks to me like an earlier version of what became the A49.

Here for the gear.

5 hours ago, drawback said:

I was surprised too! I didn't say A500 Pro S though. When I double checked my earlier post I searched for simply an "A500" that was alluded to by johnchop and this "S" one came up:  https://www.roland.com/global/products/a-500s/ 

Looks to me like an earlier version of what became the A49.

Thanks, I checked that out and also the A49 you mentioned. I never saw that A500-S sold anywhere - wonder when it was on the market?

Both it and the A49 have sustain and expression pedal inputs, but no keyboard aftertouch. The A500 Pro S runs on batteries, USB or wall-wart; the A49 is USB-only and not class-compliant; the A500 Pro S's driver can be selected between Roland and class-compliant with a physical switch. Both have a midi out jack but no input jack. The A49 has a "D-Beam" controller that the A500 Pro lacks. They both have 12 velocity curve & dynamics settings which is an essential feature for me. I would probably go for the A500 Pro S over the A49, if I was in the market for a 49-key board - too bad it's not being made anymore.

I’m no expert on this stuff, but the Roland a49 is class compliant if class compliant means what Sweetwater says it does — I.e. that you can play it by plugging in directly without installing drivers. I am using the a49 plugged directly into an iPad Air without an interface and have never messed with drivers at all.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/class-compliant/

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Thanks for the correction. I guess I was mistaken, but in my defense I was interpreting what I read on page 13 in the owner's manual:

"You must install the USB driver when connecting the A-49 to your computer. Download the USB driver from the Roland website."

It wouldn't be the first time a Roland manual has been wrong. The manual for my A800 Pro describes a "panic" function that doesn't exist on the keyboard!

On page 33 I see where you can select between the Roland driver and class compliant (Roland calls it the "generic" driver). You have to power-cycle the keyboard after switching the setting.

Thanks for setting me straight! I hate getting stuff like this wrong.

My A-800Pro has the same thing - you can choose class-compliant or the Roland driver. Roland calls it "FPT", "fast processing technology" - but try finding anything online explaining what it is! This is the best I can do: "provides for faster MIDI processing speeds." All I know is that I've never noticed a difference between the two settings in terms of latency or features.

You might want to check out the manual - have you ever used the D-Beam? It sounds interesting, but I wonder how someone would use it in practice.