Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound KP-500S and KP-500SN confusion

My google-fu has failed me, so I'm hoping you can help. I'm looking at a used Motion Sound KP-500S. I see various references online to either a KP-500S or a KP-500SN, so I'm wondering if they're different models, and if so, which is newer, any feature differences or issues to look out for on either?

Bonus question: another option is a used KP-612S. It looks like the main differences between the 500 and the 612 are that the 500 has 250 watts per channel but an unpowered sub out, and the 612 has 200 watts per channel plus a powered sub out. Any other feature differences I'm missing, or any reason to choose the 612 over the 500 if the 612 is a couple hundred more and I don't need the powered sub out?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the 612 has the newer upgraded amplifier.

The 500 series has been around the longest, going back at least 7 years or more? That"s why there are a fair amount of used ones available. The newer models like the 610 and 612 have the new amp, but I believe the 408 has the older one. Maybe Mitch Towne can weigh in for clarity?

If it were me, I"d get the 612 rather than the older versions.

i own a month and a half old MS KP610 , about three years ago i briefly owned a 500S , which i ended up sending back as i couldn't dial in the tone i was looking for . if you're debating

one over the other , i'd go with the current generation of Motion Sound amps . to my ears , they're much improved . note though , my 610 has 500w faital speakers in it , not the advertised

enimence brand . not sure how this is is affecting the sound or if this was somekind of temporary glitch at the factory due to the supply chain issues we've been hearing about . according to

what i've been able to search out , faitals do have an edge over the eminence speakers . anyone with some tech experience on this ?

I own the 500SN and the 612S. The 612 is in another league compared to the 500SN. The 500S came after the SN (N is indeed for the neodymium speakers it included) and I was told was an improvement sonically from its predecessor. The 612 is the best amp I"ve ever had or heard (other than a pair of powered monitors) and it has a manageable weight and size. It even sounds great with acoustic piano patches, which is always the hardest to get sounding good (using with a Nord Stage 3).