Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New feature in Powered Speakers - built-in tablet stand

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Options get limited with two keyboards in a standing rig. I could put a tablet stand where my mic boom adapter is, but that is more "in the way" plus then I'd need a mic stand!

Any powered speaker I use can't go in front of me, it would be blocked by the keyboards. I'm normally in-ears and direct anyway, but that is the biggest PITA with using wedges on small stages.

Mic stands don't work to hold ipads either in such a situation since the keyboards block them again, unless you come in from the side. And looking to the side for lyrics while I play is not great.

Right now I just velcro the ipad to my modx7 (I use it for b3 organ) but if I start using it for lyrics as I'm considering I'll need some other solution. The Modx7 is on the bottom since I want to be able to reach all the controls on my top synth but I might have to reverse that and work it so the ipad can stand up (velcroed down) on the top instead of laying down.

I know, just remember the lyrics! Boy I've tried, I can remember chords and music great but even on songs I've sung a million times the words just zip out of my brain sometimes. Must be a different lobe!

Not very useful if the speaker is sitting behind me. Also not very useful if the speaker is sitting in front of my two-tiers of keyboards. Even for the vocalists, the ability to see a tablet attached to a speaker sitting on the ground is marginal at best.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I understand the need for tablet/laptop/phone for controlling music production, keyboard sounds, house sound from the stage and other practical and electronic applications. I really hate bands using phones and tablets for lyrics and charts and that sort of thing. I guess I'm old skool. Learn the damn parts so you can connect with the audience and the other musicians onstage. I've seen more than one good vocalist or other player ruin a performance by never taking eyes off the phone or tablet. It just kills the presentation.

/end rant

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I understand the need for tablet/laptop/phone for controlling music production, keyboard sounds, house sound from the stage and other practical and electronic applications. I really hate bands using phones and tablets for lyrics and charts and that sort of thing. I guess I'm old skool. Learn the damn parts so you can connect with the audience and the other musicians onstage. I've seen more than one good vocalist or other player ruin a performance by never taking eyes off the phone or tablet. It just kills the presentation.

/end rant

In my experience playing pickup gigs, mostly jazz/funk/r&b, with thrown-together bands where we're just gonna have some fun and bring home walk-around money, the iPad has been a big positive. We're all friends and know a lot of tunes in common, but each of us has some songs we'd like to play that the others don't know. In these situations I'm always up for playing new tunes and don't mind reading a chart at all. In the past that meant a wire stand and paper, and in some situations a stand light. Is the gig outdoors, like many have been the past ~2 years? Better bring clips and hope it isn't too windy.

Since I'm somewhat on topic â I was gonna get that IK Multimedia "iKlip" but decided to take a chance on this no-name guy from Amazon. Half the price and it works great (so far at least). Clips onto an arm of my X stand and I can put it at the perfect height & angle so I see things clearly and can also access the controls on my A800. I do wish I had a bigger-screened iPad (this is an Air 2) but that'll have to wait - some other expenses (like my daughter's college) are a bit higher on the list right now!

ipad-clip-stand.jpg

I was gonna get that IK Multimedia "iKlip" but decided to take a chance on this no-name guy from Amazon. Half the price and it works great (so far at least).
Looks nice. Do you have a link to it? (Someone should start a brand called "No-Name.")

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wow I was thinking of something exactly like that (I even described it to my friend as having clamps like those little lamps) for a mic boom. I have one keyboard stand that doesn't have a mic stand adapter or any kind of tube to use the onstage mic thingie... a keyboard stand with a mic holder is a really nice feature for me. I forget mic stands way, way too easily and it can be touchy to find room for them on some of our stages. I wonder if something like that would be strong enough to hold a boom and mic, or possibly a really stiff long gooseneck if there is such a thing (I've tried a few goosenecks that just would not hold up, literally).

/end rant

In my experience playing pickup gigs, mostly jazz/funk/r&b, with thrown-together bands where we're just gonna have some fun and bring home walk-around money, the iPad has been a big positive. We're all friends and know a lot of tunes in common, but each of us has some songs we'd like to play that the others don't know. In these situations I'm always up for playing new tunes and don't mind reading a chart at all. In the past that meant a wire stand and paper, and in some situations a stand light. Is the gig outdoors, like many have been the past ~2 years? Better bring clips and hope it isn't too windy.

Since I'm somewhat on topic â I was gonna get that IK Multimedia "iKlip" but decided to take a chance on this no-name guy from Amazon. Half the price and it works great (so far at least). Clips onto an arm of my X stand and I can put it at the perfect height & angle so I see things clearly and can also access the controls on my A800. I do wish I had a bigger-screened iPad (this is an Air 2) but that'll have to wait - some other expenses (like my daughter's college) are a bit higher on the list right now!

ipad-clip-stand.jpg

Just a tip for those cheaper items? Unscrew anything that has a thread and grease with some vaseline...they use inferior and softer steel on the bolts, and experience has proved to me that with the lubrication the threads do not wear as quickly.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

But @ the OP - nice find! I have my ipad stand off to the left when running twin boards as I have the 61 nudged to the right a bit (rather than centred). bit less "reaching" :)

Having a monitor sitting there as well might be nice! Have you got a link for it at all?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Given how thin iPads are and the glass screen - i typically put mine in a rubber edged case and put a screen protector on it the same day it arrives home. So stands, arms, docks and such that function no matter what the iPad"s size or connector are most desirable to me. I"m not sure id have a need or want to mount one on a speaker.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks for calling it a "tablet" stand instead of an iPad stand! There are a few of us Android tablet users around.........

Now if we could only get the KEYBOARD manufacturers to consider incorporating a music/tablet stand into their keyboards. Gee, it would probably add all of $5 to their bill of materials cost. I haven't had a keyboard with a built-in music stand since I bought my 1980's vintage Korg BX-3!

Lou

But @ the OP - nice find! I have my ipad stand off to the left when running twin boards as I have the 61 nudged to the right a bit (rather than centred). bit less "reaching" :)

Having a monitor sitting there as well might be nice! Have you got a link for it at all?

It is the Simmons DA2110 Advanced Drum Amp. Here is product page at Guitar Center: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Simmons/DA2110-Advanced-Drum-Amp.gc

Now if we could only get the KEYBOARD manufacturers to consider incorporating a music/tablet stand into their keyboards.

Lou

+1!

Can see this being a nice addition to future stage piano/keyboard models. A little clip out panel that can comfortably handle a range of tablets. Would be a nice feature.

Indeed! Lou said it better!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I don't know anyone that would have a powered monitor aimed right at their face just inches away from them the way a music stand would be so this really makes no sense. Answers a question nobody asked. Now on a keyboard stand or keyboard, yes very much needed. Floor monitors aren't close at all , so this is just weird.

Just a tip for those cheaper items? Unscrew anything that has a thread and grease with some vaseline...they use inferior and softer steel on the bolts, and experience has proved to me that with the lubrication the threads do not wear as quickly.

Thanks, great tip. I try to treat these kinds of items as gently as possible â knowing the build quality may not be up to Swiss-level standards. One thing I know for sure is to never over-tighten the knobs on these pieces, or the cheap music stands; the threads strip easily (which goes to the point you made).

I don't know anyone that would have a powered monitor aimed right at their face just inches away from them the way a music stand would be so this really makes no sense. Answers a question nobody asked. Now on a keyboard stand or keyboard, yes very much needed. Floor monitors aren't close at all , so this is just weird.

In my experience, it's how most drummers I've seen have their monitors placed â on the hi-hat side, on the floor, and facing up at them. I'm not sure if this particular monitor would have any use for us, since our drummer only has a set list taped to his. Using a tablet for that seems just a wee bit much!

It makes more sense when you see it's from Simmons (an electronic drum company), and the image on the tablet is for a drummer. So this gives you the context...

L84528000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yamaha sells the music rest for the CP88 at $89.00. :facepalm: It"s just plastic. Of similar type to the rest that comes with the Casio PX-560 in the box. I can get two metal Manhasset symphony stands for that money. ;)

Anyway, I digress. When someone comes up with a great tablet mount that works with any slab digital piano - please share here ASAP.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've been curious about the On-Stage universal mount for keyboard stands. It's compact with different attachments for mics/tablets/trays etc. and mounts inside the keyboard stand tubes with an internal metal vice, which looks really solid. But I'm also thinking at around US$20 it might have cheap construction/engineering and not attach as solidly or as reliably as advertised. Though it does look pretty cool.

[video:youtube]

I've used (and still use) these Hercules holders. I've even modified one to attache to a flat board (as in timber board) - essentially just shortening a bar so when attached it sits just above the top edge of the keyboard. The one that is designed for mic stands is also useful.

http://herculesstands.com/international/products/multimedia/tablet-holders/dg300b/

This is the one I am currently using http://herculesstands.com/international/products/multimedia/tablet-holders/dg305b/

on a small stand (On Stage sheet music stand https://on-stage.com/products/view/sm7211b - without the music holder plate)

/end rant

I can"t read those things fast enough and can"t read anything that far away. Maybe its for the youngsters out there â¦

I agree, learn the songs. Perform.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.