Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just ordered a Casio PX-S3000

miden

Primarily as a controller, but maybe occasionally as a stand alone. Returning the the PC4.

I read Davids' (escaperocks) review and setup with his MODX and this gave me some confidence on ordering. The nearest stores to me that have one (about 375 ks away) are still closed dues to COVID.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite a few DP"s in the same price range and the action of the S3000 imo is inferior to the Yamaha P125, Roland FP30, and Kawai ES110.

In fact the only DP"s with a worst action were the Korg D1 and B2.

Subjective, yes but that is what I found

Plus with the Casio you will need the manual to hand as its OS is not intuitive.

Feck u

I quite a few DP"s in the same price range and the action of the S3000 imo is inferior to the Yamaha P125, Roland FP30, and Kawai ES110.

Plus with the Casio you will need the manual to hand as its OS is not intuitive.

You really mean D1 not B1?

P-515, PC4-7, CK61

Miden will do just fine with the S3000

While it's not primarily designed as a controller in the sense of the PX-5S, it will get the job done. I had zero issues playing my MODX6 from it.

Yeah, it's always good to have the manual, however, it isn't as difficult/non-intuitive as some make it out to be.

Get it home, plug it in, turn it on, and start playing. Great main piano tone.

Anyone who has work with deep diving workstations/synths such as the MODX, MOXF, various Korg, etc... will not have a problem getting used to the interface of the PX-S3000

I did what I normally do with a new board: I start pushing (tapping the glass on the S3000) buttons and see what they do.

Again, the S3000 is primarily designed as a great, lightweight, space-saving keyboard perfect for home use. Think of that when going thru the menus.

Keybed: that's very subjective. For me: Is it the 'best' I've ever owned. Maybe not, but it's darned close. Its easy on the fingers (no fatigue) and I have total control of dynamics.

Anyway, that's my take

Congrats MIden!

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Miden will do just fine with the S3000

While it's not primarily designed as a controller in the sense of the PX-5S, it will get the job done. I had zero issues playing my MODX6 from it.

Yeah, it's always good to have the manual, however, it isn't as difficult/non-intuitive as some make it out to be.

Get it home, plug it in, turn it on, and start playing. Great main piano tone.

Anyone who has work with deep diving workstations/synths such as the MODX, MOXF, various Korg, etc... will not have a problem getting used to the interface of the PX-S3000

I did what I normally do with a new board: I start pushing (tapping the glass on the S3000) buttons and see what they do.

Again, the S3000 is primarily designed as a great, lightweight, space-saving keyboard perfect for home use. Think of that when going thru the menus.

Keybed: that's very subjective. For me: Is it the 'best' I've ever owned. Maybe not, but it's darned close. Its easy on the fingers (no fatigue) and I have total control of dynamics.

Anyway, that's my take

Congrats MIden!

Thanks m8, yeah I'd be using it either with the Montage 61 or with a PC/iOS setup with the keylab mkII 61. So most of the "heavy lifting" will be done by those. I didn't mind the PX5S keys and as you wrote these are a tad better so I'm sure it'll be fine :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Yup, I get along just fine w my S3000, and use it for every piano-centric gig I have - the very light schlep is awesome, and the great piano tone that seems to translate well no matter what amplification I'm using is wonderful. I also feel I can make the action speak and say what I want, which I've noted before. I think you'll like it just fine - and I also acknowledge there are members here whose playing I respect who say they can't abide with it.

Different strokes.

Or, as Prefab Sprout once famously sang, "there are two things you should be slow to criticize - a man's choice of woman and his choice of work."

The PX-Sxxx are not the best digital slabs I"ve ever played - price point suggests as much. Due to the KC hype, I stalked my local Guitar Center until one showed up (they finally got an S1000 in, and later the S3000). Short width, light weight and pricing were attractive. Piano sounds are quite decent, if not better than some others in the price range. The action alone was a pass for me - I didn"t care for the weighting or feel of 'hammer throw' - different strokes, personal preferences, just sharing a different opinion. There is most definitely a dead area on the keys near the fallboard where it"s near impossible to get a note to trigger - if your playing style doesn"t go there or you don"t notice it, then it"s not a problem. I do prefer the previous generation of PX-5S/560/360 action instruments for grab and go piano gigs. :keys2:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Its skinny and its more throwable but its not much lighter than most casio privias so no gain reducing much weight but shlep factor only slightly better because of its slimness

I think if i remember rightly only half a kilo lighter than my Casio PX330 and about same weight of a casio beginners piano thats doesnt use the PX name. But thats not enough for me to change plus as its alternative hammer action doesnt excite me.

But its really pretty for the home decor lovers ... ill give it that but it cant sell me on being a light weight alternative to a normal privia. Thats smoke and mirrors.

Id expect a reduction closer to 8kg (i think its just under 11kg) to tempt me to relinquish my PX330 over it and id happily embrace its alternate hammer action even with its foibles. But i do believe getting a hammer action that light is impossible but id compromise on a weighted non hammer version or semi weighted at 8kg if Casio built it i would consider it as i love Casios quality.

But that doesn't mean its not right for others. I hear a lot who love its action and thats what matters not comments from keyboard warriors like us.

You really mean D1 not B1?

No I meant both the D1 and the B2 Korg models

Feck u

Why a 3000 if you are going to use mostly as a controller? I owned a PX-S3000. I luckily sold it quickly to a young iPhone aficionado.

The Montage 61 is a rather deep 'board. The narrowness of this is perfect for sitting underneath the yammie on the stand without need gorilla arms to reach it. I might use the sounds of the 3000 on occasion for piano only gigs. But it will be mostly the 3000+montage as the stock setup.

just to round off this thread - it arrived and it's pretty much as David described it - good sounds piano action is good, I'd rate it above the PX-5S, as David did. Happy days, BUT hahaha always a but...I've found that neither the Roland nor Yamaha sustain pedals (both half-pedaling but Roland has the switch to change to a switch type) work with it.

I had to drag out of the drawer and old Casio pedal I had left over from somewhere. But outside that all good. Menus and finding things is pretty straightforward tbh, no real dramas there.

Thanks again folks for all the comments and support :2thu:

just to round off this thread - it arrived and it's pretty much as David described it - good sounds piano action is good, I'd rate it above the PX-5S, as David did. Happy days, BUT hahaha always a but...I've found that neither the Roland nor Yamaha sustain pedals (both half-pedaling but Roland has the switch to change to a switch type) work with it.

I had to drag out of the drawer and old Casio pedal I had left over from somewhere. But outside that all good. Menus and finding things is pretty straightforward tbh, no real dramas there.

Thanks again folks for all the comments and support :2thu:

Excellent! Enjoy it

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80