Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on gigging chair

Moe, I must say, you're a construction genius! Like you, I tried a Roc-n-Soc Nitro hydraulic w/backrest for a while, but eventually went back to a traditional piano-bench style for a couple reasons: 1) I missed being able to slide around 2) the Roc-n-Soc was bulky and heavy - it had to travel in its own suitcase.

But I had to try it out! It was indeed comfortable. If I were in a high-end touring situation with roadies, I might go back to it (dream on, Richard). For now, I use the smallest, lightest bench available Yorkville Sound Folding Piano Bench

Moe, I have to ask: that bench w/backrest you built looks like it might have a tendency to tip over (in the front or back direction) - have you ever experienced that issue when using it?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moe, I have to ask: that bench w/backrest you built: it looks like it might have a tendency to tip over (in the front or back direction) - have you ever experienced that issue when using it?

Only problem i've had with stability is when I stand up during a song and push the bench back with my legs. I've tipped it a couple times, but not when I'm sitting.

Moe

---

I use the imitation leather version of the K&M performance stool linked to above in a couple of posts. I like it. It's heavy and expensive, but well worth it to me. I play standing up, doubling on keyboard and sax. I've got bad arthritis in my knees, hips, spine. At full extended height, this stool allows me to sit back and take pressure off knees and back while being slightly lower than standing. When I need to stand, it's a small and easy lift.

Same here. Really like K & M products in general. So far this is the only bench that has held up for me.