Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass pedals for organ

I am considering, again, purchasing a set of MIDI bass-pedals for my Mojo. Just looking for some recommendations.

And I guess I'm asking two question:

First, considering that I am inexperienced at using pedals -- having always relied on playing bass lines entirely with left hand - what would be an appropriate number of notes/scales to start with? Crumar sells a 13-note set. Other manufacturers sell 17 notes, 20, 25. My inclination is to purchase the smallest set, both because of the price and because I don't know how I'll enjoy using pedals. But I don't want to buy a 13-note set just to find out in a year that a larger set would be preferred.

Second, aside from size, any views about best particular models and manufacturers?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start small. Take baby steps. You can always sell and move up to more pedals. Watch videos of organists like Joey DeFrancesco and Barbara Dennelin to see how they use pedals. Over the years I've owned several console organs with 32 pedals. Don't have any now, but have been thinking about putting a midi module on an old set of Hammond M3 pedals.

Duane

Korg PA4x76 arranger, 1976 Yamaha CP-70 electric piano, MidiPlus X6 MIDI USB controller, Turbosound ip500 Tower Speaker System

My B3 has 25 pedals and my L100P has 13 pedals. On my B3 I rarely use the 2nd octave of footpedals. I also played church pipe organ at an early age that also had 25 pedals, I don't think I ever used the 2nd octave of pedals on that either. I'd start with 13 pedals and see if that is enough to scratch your itch.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I got a little-used set of original Mojo Pedals off of ebay for a great price, so I never really shopped for other models/makers and I can't help you with that. They work well for my use, but I grew up playing spinet organs, so the 13 notes was something I was very used to having.

...having always relied on playing bass lines entirely with left hand - what would be an appropriate number of notes/scales to start with? Crumar sells a 13-note set. Other manufacturers sell 17 notes, 20, 25. My inclination is to purchase the smallest set, both because of the price and because I don't know how I'll enjoy using pedals. But I don't want to buy a 13-note set just to find out in a year that a larger set would be preferred.

Here's a thought on that... Especially as it sounds like you might do more walking bass than I do...

If you live in or close enough to a large city which has musical instrument rentals, maybe they'd have a pedal board or two to try out for a week or so. That could help you "buy once" -- rather than "twice" (or "not at all"), as you might find 13 notes to be rather limiting.

Old No7

ps: Check for any retailers who have a "30 days return policy"; that could work for you too.

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

The Viscount Pedals 18 is perfect - the notes you lose from the 24 notes version are mostly inaccessible as your right leg is in the way.

I"ve had KeyB/Viscount set for 10 years and they"ve been rock solid. I wouldn"t/couldn"t deal with a smaller set, especially if it was spinet-style.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I got a set of 25 pedals that look like B3 pedals from eBay for the B3-P. Portable version of what they used to call the new-B. I got the cable that goes to the B3-P with it and made, after I studied the circuitry, a plastic conversion box with a Midi PCB in it. Plugged the pedals in the conversion box with a momentary push-button to change midi channel. Works like a charm and pedals looks good. (they were almost new when I bought them and selling alone without the organ can be cheap because few have the B3-P) I did this some years ago. I forgot how I made it, I think. If I made another (for myself) I would have to reverse-engineer the soldering I did and the circuits of the little box, These are heavy. Would have been expensive to ship. I had the seller take it to a Greyhound Bus station and got it shipped across the US very cheaply and picked it up at a station near me. Huge original HS box. (have no idea if they ship freight today have not checked)

WH

I would suggest the Studiologic MP-177. Don't get a 13 note pedalboard. Those extra 4 notes above C come in very handy. It's nice to have an octave range in keys other than C. The Viscount pedals are nice in that they have the radial curve of a full 25 note set of pedals but they are also way more expensive and if you're not sure how it will go, then I would save some money. You should always be able sell the MP-117's with no problem.

Now on to the heal-toe situation. The reason pedal players like a console style set of pedals is the length, the radial curve and the fact that the pedals are hinged at the rear of the pedals. One problem with the Viscount 18 is the naturals are shorter than standard and therefore your heal is much closer to the hinge making them harder to play. However they do have the radial curve so that's a plus over straight pedals like the Studiologic, Roland, Crumar, etc.

A short story- Yamaha used to make combo organs. The 13 note pedalboard was very unique. First, they were built in to a case with a lid, nice. Second, the naturals, instead of being flat and lower than the sharps/flats, were angled up towards the front of the pedal (below your heal) so you could use heal-toe technique quite easily. Great idea that no other manufacturer has ever thought of replicating. I accomplished a similar idea by taking a piece of plywood with the footprint of my MP-117, and mounting a strip of wood along the front edge which when the pedals are sitting on the wood, it allows for easier heel-toe action. (hope that description makes sense). I had plans of removing the existing keytops and fabricating something similar to the YC pedal for the naturals, but the angled board does the trick for me.

BTW, I still have the pedals pictured below. Years ago I hard-wired the pedals to a Yamaha CS-01 (which I also still have) and made my own synth bass pedals.

2189.jpg.3565761ba653a88f09f511e7c74374c4.jpg

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

For years I played my B3 using 18 pedals. Took the others off to save a few pounds. Organ had a mod to give me sustain so I could do walking and others bass lines smoothly. When I went portable I had a 13 note midi board under my Rhodes. Did the job just fine.

I really rarely did LH bass, got so used to the pedals. :cool:

I built a case from 1x4s and thin plywood. Sectioned it in 3 parts off for wires , pedals ( volume, sustain, ) and bass pedals. Worked great for a long time. Castors on the bottom and handle on top. When playing stood it up on its side next to me for drinks, etc.

I've been playing organ for my own enjoyment for 50 years as of 2021. Started on a Wurlitzer in my parent's living room, and while I've migrated to clonewheels, and I love the Hammond sound (I currently play a Hammond XK-3/XLK-3 setup with a Korg MIDI pedalboard), I've never seen a need for anything more than 13 bass notes. I don't play "heel and toe" and have no desire to learn, as I don't think it would enhance my playing pleasure. Playing "toe only" does it for me.

One useful tidbit I will pass along. If you decide on a 13 note pedalboard, pay close attention to the LENGTH of the "white" keys on the pedals. I've owned many brands of MIDI pedals since the 70's, and I prefer the length of the pedals that I have in my Korg MPK-130 and my Roland PK-5 pedalboards. I bought and quickly sold 13 note Studiologic and Hammond pedalboards since their "white" keys were noticeably shorter than the keys on the Korg and Roland. I'm not home at the moment and therefore can't take a tape measure to my pedals, so I can't give you a number in inches right now. If you're starting out, it might not make much difference what length pedals you learn to play on. But it makes a difference to me, so I wanted to call it to your attention.

Good luck! Playing bass pedals makes you a real "one man band".......bass, chords in LH, and melody in RH. Add a drum machine and you never need to suck up to a bass guitar player, drummer, or rhythm guitar player in order to generate a "full" sound! :-)

Lou

• 4 weeks later...

"One problem with the Viscount 18 is the naturals are shorter than standard and therefore your heal is much closer to the hinge making them harder to play"

Hi Dave, that's interesting about the 18 pedal board being shorter, I didn't realize that & I was just about the purchase the 18 note Viscount board & sell my 27 pedal Viscount pedal board. Can you confirm it's the 18 note board your talking about as adverstised here that has the shorter pedals please? Just so I'm sure...: https://www.thomann.de/ie/viscount_legend_pedalboard_18.htm