Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos + Ventilator

I"ve been out of the scene for about 7 years, and along with that, have fallen out of the loop on current gear. There is a possibility of getting back to playing live later this year.

I still have my trusty Triton Studio 88 and Triton Le 61.

Along with internal sounds, I use the Le to trigger VB3-II which runs on an ancient but seemingly immortal cheap laptop with Windows 7, with a Presonus Audiobox and cheap 9-slider 'drawbar' controller. VB3-II runs through a Mini Vent.

If I had money to spend (my wife and I disagree on that ð) I would consider a Kronos 61 to replace the old Le, so I could use the CX3 engine and be able to get rid of the laptop and slider unit. I would probably keep the Mini Vent for Leslie sim.

My question - I"ve seen one or two vids of the Kronos CX3 running through a Vent, and it sounds pretty good. Also have searched for forum posts, but didn"t see anything in the last few years regarding this. How recently has the CX3 engine in the Kronos been updated? Anyone currently running that setup? I"ve read that the percussion, C/V, and shrillness were issues. How is it currently, in your opinion?

Thanks.

Stuff and things.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

".. I"ve seen one or two vids of the Kronos CX3 running through a Vent, and it sounds pretty good.

You probably answered your own question. Lots of differing opinions, at the end of the day how do you like what you heard? I think you think it sounds pretty good. That would be good enough for me.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It probably depends on the style of music, etc. I used a Kronos with a Vent for a few years with a rock band, and I thought it was great. I had routed the signal out one of separate outputs and then back in one of the inputs, basically like an effects loop. Then I could blend it in with the other Kronos sounds I was using for the tune and control it all from the main volume. It worked really well.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I like the Kronos61 CX3 engine for some things â it has a kind of Euro vibe to it, but as soon as the high drawbars enter into the picture the whole thing gets too thin and warbly. The C/V and Rotary Sim were good enough in 2003 and it goes without saying that a Ventilator will improve things, but only so far.

If you want to modern-up your setup, I'd say go with B-3X for an iPad (if you have one). Among all the other benefits of a Kronos61, it makes a great controller for B-3X â wonderful action and lots of control points plus the benefits of splits with other Kronos engines. I could be wrong, but I don't think Korg has updated the core CX3 sounds since it came on the market and I wouldn't justify it as a reason to go with a Kronos.

Here for the gear.

An ipad with B-3X--especially if you already have the ipad like I did--is amazing. I've done five gigs with mine now and just love it. I do have a keyboard (MODX) that takes in the ipad audio though, so with most keyboards you'd need to handle that, which shouldn't be a big deal. I've tested the headphone outs and they sound pretty great to me.

I would say that I had itunes gift cards to use, otherwise I might have not gotten b-3x without knowing for sure how I'd like using an ipad, it's expensive. VB3 is apparently now out as well and a lot cheaper, that might be a way to get your feet wet.

And yes there are other nice things about having the ipad there. I can do my monitor mix on it, and I'm playing around with an app called Midiflow that will send patch changes and route different midi destinations (among other things). I also keep my lyric sheets on there for a quick glance though I'm trying to kick that habit! :D

I"ve been using an original Vent with my Kronos for several years. I run it through one of the aux. outs, as well. It"s a considerable improvement over the internal sim, for sure, but I"ve heard better Clone + Vent pairings. The percussion still sounds too bright, and the overall sound remains a bit shrill. I"m not sure if it"s a frequency compatibility thing between the two machines, I"ve fooled around with all of the parameters on both, ad nauseam. In contrast, the Vent seems to emphasize the character of Nord and Hammond clones in a much better way. Of course, YMMV.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I can't find it now, but there was a trick posted to the Korg forums about using the Kronos leslie effect in IFX 1, IE two leslie sims in series. It sounds counterintuative, but it works pretty good for spicing up the CX3 organ without a vent. That being said, I have a Mojo and a Nord Electro 3, and they both have better Hammond sims than the Kronos CX3. Like everyone else said, it depends on how much you need the "Hammond" sound. If it's only a couple of organ pads for some songs, OK, but if you need a lot of Hammond get a different clone.

Not a big fan of KRONOS CX3 but mine sounds nothing like that I think the drawbar settings were not right or amplification or combination of both. The Mojo organ is much better but my CX3 sounds way better than that

just depends on if you are a purist on organ or wanna get by with the CX3.

I use the CX-3 on the Kronos with a Vent II. For me unless I am doing organ centered stuff it' isn't always worth it to have a clone in a multi board rig. I used to feel different about it. I was talking to a member about this the other day.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

There are many excellent engines that replicate the tone wheels and drawbars, foldback, leakage. A realistic and desirable click. Even the CV fx. I find the CX3 on the Kronos is better than some, as good as many and falls short of a few. However the Leslie is such a big part of the sound and the Vent comes about as close as we"ve had short of the real thing, the latest software versions included. On the Kronos you have the convenience of a workstation/synth that can send CX3 to an aux out. The pair do a more than adequate job - even when compared to a dedicated clone - most of which benefit from a ventilator as well. ymmv

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

You play Korg now?

MOTIF Organs make great Pop layers. I love the old Yamaha organ patches. Classic Rock Boomers just don't understand how to use them.

It was all covered but what the heck .... last CX-3 update was Feb 2019. Just some program mode bug fixes where the Sim speed could get out of sync with the touch screen display .... I think. (FWIW the Vent using the remote mod does the same thing) CX-3 tone is fine. I hate the on board amp sim. The leslie sim sound very realistic but it sounds honky as hell and the mechanical and air noise is way over accentuated. It sounds like a Leslie with a really bad mic job. You can probably tweak it and make it better. I just never bothered.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

MOTIF Organs make great Pop layers. I love the old Yamaha organ patches. Classic Rock Boomers just don't understand how to use them.

I mostly used a rompler organ patch when I needed a Hammond tone. :idk:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Feel the same way Jason.

It's just that I need to cover a ton of ground also on most gigs, especially if I am the only keyboard player.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Fired up my rig this past weekend for the first time in a while. Before I did that, though, I pulled the Mini Vent out of the rack and played my C2 through it (currently have no Leslie). Even in mono, the C2 + Vent sounds freakin" amazing.

Then put the Vent back in the rack and played VB3-II through it. As much as I want to stop using a laptop, I think I"ll stick with my setup for now. VB3-II + Vent just sounds too damn good.

Stuff and things.