Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The kids are alright

Haahh! They're GREAT, anbd that song is GREAT. I'd seen and heard that somewhen else before recently, and I'm happy to see it turn up here, as well.

Rock on!!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Soon to be followed by their next hit, "Big White Monkey." Those who speak Chinese and have been to China will probably know what I am talking about. :)

Isn"t that jobs/work set aside for foreigners- usually white Americans- because of certain stereotypes? If so, there"s a similar phrase in Japanese culture, as I forget.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Soon to be followed by their next hit, "Big White Monkey." Those who speak Chinese and have been to China will probably know what I am talking about. :)

Isn"t that jobs/work set aside for foreigners- usually white Americans- because of certain stereotypes? If so, there"s a similar phrase in Japanese culture, as I forget.

After college my best friend's son went to China for two years to teach English. He loved visiting new places and seeing the sites. During that time he kept hearing a phrase that he did not understand. His Chinese friends and students were too embarrassed to translate, but one finally did. People were calling him big white monkey. Turns out it was a very common epitaph. He laughed about it and took it as his nick name which really confused his students. They were embarrassed and ashamed that their teacher and friend was being treated that way, and he laughed it off. He had the right attitude. When you fight ignorance with angler both parties get hurt and nothing improves. If the girls in the video wanted to improve things they should have befriended the boy and taught him that Chinese people aren't that different from white people.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

As an AAPI I'm not going to comment for fear of getting political.

But, hear are the lyrics as they are a little difficult to understand on the video.

https://genius.com/The-linda-lindas-racist-sexist-boy-lyrics

Loved the lyrics

I have no use at all for bigotry. And those who practice it.

I couldn't quite understand what the girls were singing, but as a non-singer, I usually don't pay that much attention to lyrics in most songs. For instance, I know most Led Zeppelin songs word for word, note for note, and beat for beat. But if you ask me what Robert Plant is singing about, I usually don't know, because I never think about it. Having said that, let me get back to the song in this video. The girls did a great job, playing on the beat, hitting all the right notes, and I did not hear any noticeable mistakes. So, from a musical point of view, good job, girls. From another point of view, ask another person.
I rock; therefore, I am.

The girls did a great job, playing on the beat, hitting all the right notes, and I did not hear any noticeable mistakes.

That might not be what they wanted to hear as punk musicians.ð¤ª

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

:(

?

I was sad because it became more about the music than the message. I was focused on the message. I realize this is a music forum, not a social forum, so I'm good. I love their music, the 2 youngest members, 10 and 13 wrote the song. That impresses more than their playing.

I'm not going to post it, but if anyone is interested there is an excellent article about them in the Guardian. Google The Linda Lindas and it should show up.

Jennifer S.

:(

?

I was sad because it became more about the music than the message. I was focused on the message. I realize this is a music forum, not a social forum, so I'm good. I love their music, the 2 youngest members, 10 and 13 wrote the song. That impresses more than their playing.

I'm not going to post it, but if anyone is interested there is an excellent article about them in the Guardian. Google The Linda Lindas and it should show up.

Well, I like everything about them, the song, the message.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I read the lyrics to the song, and while it starts off with a good message, it ends with name calling. Saying that someone is a blockhead, riffraff, and a jerkface does not put you on the moral high ground. Yes, I understand that it's punk rock, the two girls that wrote the song are ages 10 and 13, and their target audience probably loves the insults. But the name calling detracts from the message that the song is trying to send.
I rock; therefore, I am.

• 3 weeks later...

They're great. I'm glad my daughter has some role models close to her age to push her to learn to play that Stratocaster I put in the corner of her room when she was born.

I used to give my neice CDs by The Donnas when she younger to steer her on the right path (it worked). BTW... I noticed the other day that the album "The Donnas Turn 21" came out 20 years ago... I'm getting ancient.

I'm sure some TV special will inevitably pair them with the Millington Sisters from Fanny, who are their spiritual grandmothers.

After college my best friend's son went to China for two years to teach English. He loved visiting new places and seeing the sites. During that time he kept hearing a phrase that he did not understand. His Chinese friends and students were too embarrassed to translate, but one finally did. People were calling him big white monkey. Turns out it was a very common epitaph. He laughed about it and took it as his nick name which really confused his students. They were embarrassed and ashamed that their teacher and friend was being treated that way, and he laughed it off. He had the right attitude. When you fight ignorance with angler both parties get hurt and nothing improves. If the girls in the video wanted to improve things they should have befriended the boy and taught him that Chinese people aren't that different from white people.

and Carly Simon could've explained to Nick Nolte/Warren Beatty whoever else "You're So Vain" is about that humility is more attractive than arrogance, but that's not how ART works, dude... I've been way too patient and understanding of bigots in my lifetime (I come from historically multiracial Louisiana Creole families) and they've just gotten worse and worse over their lifetimes.

• 2 years later...
On 5/23/2021 at 2:42 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

The Linda Lindas, performing 'Racist, Sexist Boys' at a library in LA.

[video:youtube]

As I hear, they just signed with Epitaph.

I know this is a 3 year old post, but the kids are still alright. They are opening for the Rolling Stones in Los Angeles in July. From a library to SoFi stadium in 3 years, I think there will be a larger audience.

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:56 AM, p90jr said:

I've been way too patient and understanding of bigots in my lifetime (I come from historically multiracial Louisiana Creole families) and they've just gotten worse and worse over their lifetimes.

I’m a Creole (of VERY mixed ancestry) from NOLA myself, and I’m saddened by the newfound license to express their hate bigoted people are enjoying right now.  

But I’m most disappointed by the ones in my own family.  I’ve been involved in pushing back against that BS, with some positive results.  But some of it- especially in some of my younger cousins- seems rooted impossibly deeply.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I know this is a 3 year old post, but the kids are still alright. They are opening for the Rolling Stones in Los Angeles in July. From a library to SoFi stadium in 3 years, I think there will be a larger audience.

I’m glad to hear they’re still making moves!

Ditto the Linda Lindas!😜

• Like 4