Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg modwave

I've had a WaveState since last September. It's fantastic...my gut feeling is that the WaveState is more versatile, but perhaps a bit tougher to program?

Like, the ModWave seems to have 2 layers x 2 oscs with 1 filter per layer. But the WaveState has 4 layers (1 morphing osc per layer) with 1 filter per layer. I'm not sure what the Kaoss stuff brings to the ModWave's party, but is it something that can't be done with an endlessly flexible morphing wavetable?

But programming the WaveState definitely takes more effort than the average 2 oscillator synth.

• 5 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

The Youtubers finally got their review units.

Quick spoilers: No they did not magically blow it up to 61 keys with premium keybeds rivaling the top of the line Kronos models. No they did not magically add poly aftertouch/MPE. :laugh:

Loopop might set a new personal record here, clocking in at over 1hr 15 min. Mercifully, he provides timestamps on the left side if you're short on time/impatient and want to skip to what you care about the most.

He says Korg asked him to say Fall 2021 is when the synth will be available.

[video:youtube]

• Like 1

Loopop's is the review to beat. I learned everything I'd want to know and then got about 45 minutes of the presets. Sublime.

I was a dual DW8000 player, so the addition of a decent section of samples AND compatibility with Serum wavetables here is a gas. The original had some real strengths, but the whopping 16 preset waves wasn't one of them.

The new twist on the Kaoss pad is programmable to a 3-D level. It feels like a serious modular section semi-hidden in one corner. Its a deep rabbit hole with generous mod matrix options. Added gold star: the bundled editor/librarian is very welcome and seemingly uncompromised in any odd way.

If I was seeking new hardware, a Wavestate would suit my cob-webbed mindset the best. Korg has received more of my synth dollars than anyone else, so I generally like their new releases. I was wondering what the third of this particular trio-line would be like. In my view, this one offers the best expression of the basic form, for greatest creative elasticity. It strongly reads like a synth that would be happy-fun-time for avant-types. Imogene Heap needs this one.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I like Looppop's reviews, even if a bit extensive. The comparison he did between the two novation tabletops was very thorough and clarified a lot for me.

I really want them to release the modwave and wavestate in the form factor of the xd module, which I own (or better yet, put some detachable rack ears). it would be cool to setup the XD and either one of these side-by-side on a shelf on top of a controller. I know there's some functionality related to the release velocity of the keyboard, but I don't see you would loose much.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• 2 years later...

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I spotted a Modwave locally boxed like new sub £300. Wondered if it was worth a look given the update and given I have a Mac loaded with plug ins and Korg collection. Always wanted a DW8000 and this somehow appeals to my 'tinkering' side. I believe recent firmware updates matched the Mk2 in some respects other than polyphony and the red Kaoss pad.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

16 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I spotted a Modwave locally boxed like new sub £300. Wondered if it was worth a look given the update and given I have a Mac loaded with plug ins and Korg collection. Always wanted a DW8000 and this somehow appeals to my 'tinkering' side. 

Go ahead and get it out of your system especially if the price is right. 😉

When the novelty and tinkering wears off, you should be able to sell it and look at the difference between amount paid and sold for as a rental fee.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

8 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I spotted a Modwave locally boxed like new sub £300. Wondered if it was worth a look given the update and given I have a Mac loaded with plug ins and Korg collection. Always wanted a DW8000 and this somehow appeals to my 'tinkering' side. I believe recent firmware updates matched the Mk2 in some respects other than polyphony and the red Kaoss pad.

I wonder if Modwave have the same capabilities to create creammy unisons like DW-8000..., any one had the chance to recreate old DW patches faithfully?

19 minutes ago, dalpozlead said:

I wonder if Modwave have the same capabilities to create creamy unisons like DW-8000..., any one had the chance to recreate old DW patches faithfully?

I was a double DW owner at one time and those early waves have always been in one corner of the 01Ws, Tritons and the like. They have a tiny memory footprint. Its a hard-wired part of Korg history. I feel sure you can find a Unison setting that will let you build those into a nice whopper. Look for single-cycle waves; right below those will surely be those early old-school waves, before more complex recent goods.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

1 hour ago, dalpozlead said:

I wonder if Modwave have the same capabilities to create creammy unisons like DW-8000..., any one had the chance to recreate old DW patches faithfully?

You can probably find out by trying the demo version of Modwave Native.  It should allow you to try anything you want with the synth engine, within certain limits - no saving, 20 min. max run time.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/modwave_native/

1 hour ago, dalpozlead said:

You could always download the demo for the software version. It's a 20 minute session restriction but no expiration. 

Just now, GovernorSilver said:

You can probably find out by trying the demo version of Modwave Native.  It should allow you to try anything you want with the synth engine, within certain limits - no saving, 20 min. max run time.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/modwave_native/

Dammit!

• Haha 1