Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name this organ!

I know it's easy for some....what makes it unique?

[video:youtube]

I hope you have a chance to watch it all, incredible performance. I love the work on the third manual ;) Not the pedals....

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noting some differences between the RT3 and the B3... the RT3 is much longer, & heavier/ larger case. the pedals are built to American Guild of Organist specification, and use a separate tube tone generation for additional tones for the pedals (although it also has the identical 16' & 8' drawbars that a B3 has.... just has additional tones, including 32' bourdon and 32' bombarde (reed) pedal sounds... as well as others. Very handy for classical work, not necessarily a benefit to a jazz organist.

(disclaimer: I don't know anything - this is a cut/paste from another forum. I just got sucked in by the challenge)

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Very good organ that gets a bad rep and it's unwarranted.

Exactly. I've heard "don't get a RT3!" which I think is a holdover from when organs travelled more than they do now. It's an extra 100 pounds, more or less. I'm not sure if you can tell this is the 3rd version, as the original RT looks similar.

It does have one of the earliest mass market synths onboard, the "pedal solo" unit which is entirely electronic. No tone wheels. As you might expect the flavor of those sounds is very different, but you have a seperate volume for it.

Here is the pedal solo tone generator, which of course is not on a B3 or C3 or A100 etc:

31157787507_cb2db5b7d9_z.jpg

For stage work a B3 has the advantage besides weight of the audience potentially seeing a players feet in action. That is starting to be a lost art with all the clonewheels, I love to watch Jimmy rage in that video. The extra pedals and shape have not thrown him off one whit :) Also there is the music stand which can't fold out of the way except when you close the whole lid.

As a studio organ, it has all B3 components, plus 32 notes below and the pedal solo. Nice to have a music stand:

32225655018_9feeeb05ef_c.jpg

Mine started life in 1960 at the Unitarian Church in Seattle:

44048120550_92d23cd226_o.jpg

My brother, a music student at UW, was assistant organist, on and off till the 80's when they wanted to "upgrade". He got it. Two years ago he gave it to me, and I hauled it back home, grabbing a 22H and a 760 in Yakima on the way home.

Blonde........I like the blonde. Plays great. That's the only reason I know a RT3 from a B3. :)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Wow... a blonde RT3! Don't think I've ever seen one before. C3's, sure, but...

Hammond used to call that color Lime Oak.

Very cool...

There's a road gig I've been doing for 45 years now, and we've always used a Hammond from a backline company. Plenty of B's, C's, and an occasional A100.

Only once has there been an RT3...and that was in Canada.