Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My anti-feel-like-crap list

I have a list of videos that always cheer me up, sometimes in semi-unhealthy ways, but hey, use what works! Two of them are unsuitable for even an open-minded crew like this. You're welcome. YouTube & Vimeo are sometimes like an alternate form of Oblique Strategies when I hit a compositional slump. Many things on the list are funny and many are musical, like Keith Emerson's Piano Improvisations or Jeff Beck doing "What Mama Said" live.

Reggie Watts is a superior form of musical life. He makes loopers sit up and shine, sings like a champ and plays a Nord. He's also creatively weird to a humbling degree. He's a hero in part because he has a sharp mind and it shows. Check this out. Praise Reggie!

Reggie Watts rocks it

Also rejoice in this one

Nicholas Slonimsky - Children Cry For Castoria

And finally this, inexplicable moment.

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a few oldies, some not music but various things. A couple years ago I heard and watched this and it put a giant grin on my face. I love a capella stuff in general but this is next level. They do this live (I saw one back-stage impromtu performance recorded on a cell phone). The bass singer does a two-tone thing where he does the bass and an overtone sweep. Obviously there's some verb but these guys are just bananas. There's a point in this where they sound like autotune on purpose because Daft Punk uses it :D I realized when I saw the cell phone vid that it was them doing it...

[video:youtube]

+1 to the Last Waltz version of Cripple Creek. If Levon doesn't move you, I don't know what can.

Thanks for this thread. We all know why no one on the forum is talking about current events, but surely we all need something to help us process.

This one always puts me in a good place.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

My favorite pick me up is this clip from the Carole Burnett Show. The story behind it, Tim Conway starts adlibbing. Carole Burnet tries to push past but he will not stop. The first take is the practice which is always recorded, just in case. The second take is the on air version where he pushed it further. Vickie Lawrence says this was her coming out moment, where she finally got brave enough to say what she wanted to say on stage.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I knew Reggie Watts 20 years ago in Seattle. "Knew" him in the sense that everyone else who would run into him at shows etc did, but he always made you feel like he'd been thinking about you and was glad to see you. One of the most beautiful, talented, and transparent human beings I've ever met. Completely dedicated to living and performing in the moment, every moment. A walking uplifting moment.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

My favorite pick me up is this clip from the Carole Burnett Show. The story behind it, Tim Conway starts adlibbing. Carole Burnet tries to push past but he will not stop. The first take is the practice which is always recorded, just in case. The second take is the on air version where he pushed it further. Vickie Lawrence says this was her coming out moment, where she finally got brave enough to say what she wanted to say on stage.

That's a household favorite. It was a golden moment, where the gods riff off of one another. I'll never forget Colin Mochrie on "Whose Line"... Things You Can Say To Your Dog, But Not Your Girlfriend. He makes the Matrix "Bring It" hand just once and says "Come." Instant pandemonium reigned and ABC let a couple of minutes of it play through, too. Golden.

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

I'll never forget Colin Mochrie on "Whose Line"... Things You Can Say To Your Dog, But Not Your Girlfriend. He makes the Matrix "Bring It" hand just once and says "Come." Instant pandemonium reigned and ABC let a couple of minutes of it play through, too. Golden.
I remember watching that episode on ABC Family (!) when I was probably 12 or 13 or something. I couldn't believe it. Man, that show had some high highs.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.