Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If You're Still Wondering...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...What to get me for Christmas...

http_frontal_03.jpg

Or maybe you already have?

atch[/url]

I donated a similar amount to charity, for poor people.

Maybe next year

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I played one of the second batch at Superbooth a couple of years ago. I got to spend about an hour with it, primarily because there were actually newer and more rare keyboards in the room... which says a great deal about Superbooth. :-)

It"s an absolutely beautiful synthesizer, with a lot of ergonomic touches that were groundbreaking at the time. There was a lot of power under the hood, and it was awfully nice to have all those controls close at hand.

All that being said, I regard it as more of a collector piece to show off than something that is actually practical for making music, unless you are one of those folks who never leaves the studio and prefers to be surrounded by a gigantic pile of inspiration. Even with all that utility, it still felt to me like it was more of a toy than a tool.

It"s largely handmade, the fit and finish are world-class, and every inch of it exudes class.And it sounds pretty darn good, too. But I don"t think I"d buy one, even at a quarter of the price. Your mileage may vary.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I spent a fair amount of time playing with one at a couple of NAMM shows. It really is a beautiful synth both sound and control wise. Also the build quality is phenomenal. For folks not so enamored with the past but wanting modern analog this is an amazing synth. Remember this came out before the poly-analog revival got going and still holds it own, being that it is its own.

In addition to the 20,000+ obvious reasons I was also turned off or at least suspicious of the internal fans despite claims they are super quiet.That and no access to schematics and concern about repair/parts. I did enjoy talking to Stefan Schmidt at the time and getting his insights. This always makes certain synths all the more special to me.

As to tool vs toy? I"ve never been able to figure that one out with any worthwhile synth.

I'm glad I've been able to demo a few mega-synths, such that I'm NOT more dazzled when new ones appear. No matter how huge and lush they get, $20k always sounds to me like a generous budget for a very healthy home studio, not just one item, in 2020. Stefan has created something special, but its an eternal pipe dream when you and I have close to 0% chance of ever using one, even as quick icing. You can drop in a few sequences or stingers from a borrowed synth, but its the ones you embrace long enough to make them dance that really count. 25 units means f-all chance of ever seeing on one Reverb dot com, too! :/:laugh:

Markyboard, I send you the consolation Christmas gift of a coupon worth 4 TB of good wishes, redeemable at Radio Shack. Sorry, times are lean. :P

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"