Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Throw back Saturday night...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Paul Jones is using a Korg X50?

Grey

It does the job here, right? There"s a bunch of useful sounds in the X-50. It is built really cheaply though. I mean, you can grab both those handles, turn opposite directions and crack it open without much effort. I wonder if he liked what he was getting from it or if it"s triggering the Oasys?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Must admit I wasn't a huge Zep fan back in the day, although plenty of my mates were. For me it was the Osmonds - pure magic!

I was a bit worried in that first video that Page was gonna kiss someone inappropriately, the way he was pursing his lips, but think it was just attention seeking so that around 3:47 he could reveal his new dentures. Perhaps the lip pursing was to keep them in? You'd think he had enough dosh to get some that fitted though, so probably not that.

John Paul Jones is using a Korg X50?

Grey

It does the job here, right? There"s a bunch of useful sounds in the X-50. It is built really cheaply though. I mean, you can grab both those handles, turn opposite directions and crack it open without mich effort. I wonder if he liked what he was getting from it or if it"s triggering the Oasys?

Are you sure it's a Korg X50? I did wonder if it was a ? - It's ok, I don't think they were around when that vid. was made.....

I agree some of the sounds in the X50 are a bit "poop".

BTW - I didn't quite understand the "crack it open without mich" comment - who's "mitch" and why are cracking Korgs with him? Prefer a beer m'self!

I think you really should have said IMHO, and if you don't mind me saying, they were "built quite inexpensively..." seems fairer than "..really cheaply.." - I mean people might misunderstand you, and be upset if they'd spent their hard earned dosh on one, 'specially as everyone's so Personal Computer these days - if you know what I mean.... I was a bit worried about the thread title too - I mean "Throw back" where did that come from? Just sayin'!

Peace and Lurve man,

Cheers

:abduct:

Zeppelin has been in my top eschelon of favorite artists since I was a young teen. John Paul Jones in particular has been one of my greatest inspirations, as a bassist, keyboard player, and person who enjoys covering as many parts as possible with four limbs and my voice. I've always enjoyed them above other hard rock bands because they swung -- Bonham and Jones both had a deep knowledge and appreciation for American R&B music (with Jones getting a lot of jobs as a British James Jamerson imitator in his session days), and it gives the band a groove that it might not otherwise have to propel Page's sludgy guitar and Plant's wailing. I think this is what a lot of the Zeppelin disciples who came in their wake didn't understand -- they got the power but not the pocket, and it's consequently much less compelling to me.

So, when I heard about this reunion concert back in 2007, when I was still in high school, I was desperate for anything I could find from it. It took another five years or so for the professional recording to come out, but I was blown away by how excellent a performance it was, especially compared to previous attempts to get the band back together with someone filling in on drums (Live Aid was pretty messy, to the point where their performance isn't on the official concert release, and I've heard the Atlantic Records anniversary show from the 90s was dreadful). I know there are some fixes in post, but watching the concert is a real treat nonetheless. I think Robert Plant's voice was the biggest surprise -- he managed to lose none of his impact while approaching the material with the knowledge of and experience with his instrument as an older man, rather than the shrieking onslaught of his 20s. I think Kashmir in particular is a highlight of the show.

Anyway, John Paul Jones is known to do a lot of his own programming, so whatever sounds are coming from the Oasys and the X-50 are likely not stock patches, and he almost certainly tweaked or fully synthesized them himself.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

"..and Plant's wailing.."

Looking at it now (being serious for a moment), I think that might have been what I wasn't keen on. The musicianship was great and, as you say, "in the pocket".

I think people can be affected by a vocal sound they aren't keen on which spoils something for them. Sometimes why I guess, a cover version of a song may do better with a different vocalist.

Cheers.

I agree that vocals can make or break a band, although Robert Plant's style works for me. On the other hand, Rush, Guns N' Roses, and ACDC are examples of bands that I find unlistenable, or nearly so, due to the vocals; all three share a common screechy sound that's like fingernails on a blackboard to me. With Rush and Guns it's unfortunate, because I like the instrumental parts of their music. ACDC are not redeemed by their instrumental side--yes, they're wildly popular, but their music is just standard, disposable "attitude rock." I've heard other people mention that Geddy Lee's vocals are difficult to listen to, so I'm not alone in that, but for some reason, Axl Rose doesn't seem to elicit the same reaction.

But count me as liking Plant. His vocals changed after he and Page went to the Middle East. He embraced some of the tonal shifts inherent in the music from that part of the world. There's a clear pre- and post- change in Plant's vocals.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Oh, and about that X50...unless JPJ is a lot poorer than I think, I'm surprised to see such a humble keyboard in his stage rig. Surely the man can afford something a little more robust than an X50, regardless of whether he's using internal or external voices, or some he programmed himself. I'm sure that if someone spent enough time sleuthing the web there's likely an interview or breakdown of his gear for that concert that would give hints as to his thinking, but still...an X50? Dude! There are any number of manufacturers who would loan or give you outright a keyboard simply for the exposure of such a high profile gig! (And please don't tell me that Korg gave him the X50 with exactly that in mind. They could afford to give him at least a mid-level board, right?) I was kinda hoping that someone would pop up and tell me that the X50 had some really cool characteristic that would justify its place in that stand, but apparently not.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I agree that vocals can make or break a band, although Robert Plant's style works for me. On the other hand, Rush, Guns N' Roses, and ACDC are examples of bands that I find unlistenable, or nearly so, due to the vocals; all three share a common screechy sound that's like fingernails on a blackboard to me. With Rush and Guns it's unfortunate, because I like the instrumental parts of their music. ACDC are not redeemed by their instrumental side--yes, they're wildly popular, but their music is just standard, disposable "attitude rock." I've heard other people mention that Geddy Lee's vocals are difficult to listen to, so I'm not alone in that, but for some reason, Axl Rose doesn't seem to elicit the same reaction.

But count me as liking Plant. His vocals changed after he and Page went to the Middle East. He embraced some of the tonal shifts inherent in the music from that part of the world. There's a clear pre- and post- change in Plant's vocals.

Grey

Fans wise, without a doubt the singer is everything. The average listener doesn"t actually notice or care to hear much beyond the vocal, I"ve noticed. Like you suggest, vocal timbre is like our taste for foods - right? Preferences for sweet or bitter, savory, whatever. And then there"s the appeal - seems people are forgiving if he/she has the look, the strut, etc. I didn"t get Plant"s wail either as a kid. I was more drawn to the bass, drums and guitar riffs in this group. I eventually appreciated what he was going for. Using all parts of his voice gave him a much bigger range to experiment with, it was unique if not always pleasant, and he certainly had the hair and strut. I"m actually most impressed he could do this still in 2007.

Just to share - if the songs and grooves weren"t so good at times, I would avoid Smashing Pumpkins for vocal timbre. And a track that always elicits a station change is Photograph from Nickelback. The arrangement is fine if not boring, but the sound of his voice in the key it"s played in makes me feel like he"s a dad that came in for story day, cracked open the book and started yelling at the kids. Thankfully I like a lot of musical styles and there"s still a shot at finding something on FM with auto search.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If you look at that X50 he's not using the audio outs. Looks like he's got the MIDI out and a damper pedal hooked up. There's a pretty good shot at 3:22.

I loved Led Zeppelin as a kid, but as I've grown older it's just not one of those bands that I go back to. I hadn't heard Kashmir in years. When I clicked on the video and that powerful riff kicked in, I went "Oh yeah!" :laugh:

Then came the lyrics:

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face

And stars fill my dream

I'm a traveler of both time and space

To be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race

This world has seldom seen

They talk of days for which they sit and wait

All will be revealed

I went "oh yea..." :sick:

Grey

Fans wise, without a doubt the singer is everything. The average listener doesn"t actually notice or care to hear much beyond the vocal, I"ve noticed. Like you suggest, vocal timbre is like our taste for foods - right? Preferences for sweet or bitter, savory, whatever. And then there"s the appeal - seems people are forgiving if he/she has the look, the strut, etc. I didn"t get Plant"s wail either as a kid. I was more drawn to the bass, drums and guitar riffs in this group. I eventually appreciated what he was going for. Using all parts of his voice gave him a much bigger range to experiment with, it was unique if not always pleasant, and he certainly had the hair and strut. I"m actually most impressed he could do this still in 2007.

Just to share - if the songs and grooves weren"t so good at times, I would avoid Smashing Pumpkins for vocal timbre. And a track that always elicits a station change is Photograph from Nickelback. The arrangement is fine if not boring, but the sound of his voice in the key it"s played in makes me feel like he"s a dad that came in for story day, cracked open the book and started yelling at the kids. Thankfully I like a lot of musical styles and there"s still a shot at finding something on FM with auto search.

Peace Elmer -

I agree some fans of bands are only about the singers appearance, clothes, "sex appeal" etc, and perhaps lastly the voice, especially these days.

I was at school for most of Zeps original releases, and I think most of my mates who liked them were interested in the guitar performance of Page, and spent hours trying to play like him.

It was interesting when a band like Queen came along and you saw a two way split of those who loved the music and playing and the girls who, rather ironically as it turned out, fancied Freddie!

It was quite a moment when George Michael "replaced him" with an equally amazing, IMO, vocal ability. Ironic also about the girls who were devastated when he "came out". Rather sad neither are with us anymore - would have been interesting to see how both vocals would have changed, with maturity.

Btw - Freddie was a pretty neat pianist too, just IMO, of course.

Also - They just played "Get by with a little help from my friends" with Joe Cocker, on my local radio station, now that's a very soulful voiced dude, again just IMO, of course.

Cheers

If you look at that X50 he's not using the audio outs. Looks like he's got the MIDI out and a damper pedal hooked up. There's a pretty good shot at 3:22.

I would still think he'd consider a more advanced piece of hardware, even as a MIDI controller. Surely he has the bucks. For that matter, surely he's got 20 or 30 keyboards sitting around, collecting dust, that would do the trick...some of them might not even be all that dusty.

Grey

I would still think he'd consider a more advanced piece of hardware, even as a MIDI controller. Surely he has the bucks.

I'd imagine the thought behind using the Korg X50 was that it's "just" a MIDI controller.:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"