Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another great FUNK piano solo- Henry Butler

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful. Even with the arpeggios, which I almost never care for, you can tell from one end to the other, he is feeling every note, and focused on the beauty, not the "hey look at what I can do".

Thanks for this.

Wonderful. Even with the arpeggios, which I almost never care for, you can tell from one end to the other, he is feeling every note, and focused on the beauty, not the "hey look at what I can do".

Thanks for this.

Well said.

Here for the gear.

Ok, but Heny Butler too? :confused:

Well, THAT'S embarrassing. Lol. No explanation other than that Mr. Floyd channeled the Henry Butler/James Booker "funk stride" style one point (and that I had a wee bit of a hangover when I posted). I 1st became aware of that term when I bought one of Josh Paxton's books, some 15 years ago, coincidentally.

As to the piano sound, I'll only venture to say that it sounds phenomenal to someone with total HF hearing loss, who wears hearing aids. No sarc- that person is me. So glad I can still enjoy and play music. I've been advised to get a cochlear implant. No way.

I'm glad that everybody is enjoying Bobby Floyd's artistry. There has been a thread or 2 about his organ playing, but no acoustic piano videos before this. FAIK. I wish he would do a whole record of Gershwin- maybe he has, I'm checking.

Garner-isms.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I wouldn't call it "great" funk, it's passable and musical, but very not tight, no blues feel (allways important in funk) and not overly consistent. Sound isn't great either, I'd not feel comfortable with such piano sound which partially could be the recording. Also the themes to me look a bit far fetched: putting down a funky tune isn't necessarily easy so claiming some authority over the subject isn't so trivial as this suggests, I mean I don't feel the respect for the music, much.

T

Interesting (and short) article here on Floyd:

https://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/a-piano-players-piano-player/Content?oid=5496192

Heavily influenced at a young age by Garner. Played piano/organ with Ray Charles, Count Basie, and Dr. John. Deliberately emphasizes space, soulfulness, and "telling a story," all of which is evident in that video.

This video was my first exposure to him playing solo. Definitely my cup of tea. Would rather listen to that than many of the more technically virtuous players who shall go unnamed for the sake of not offending fans of those artists.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64