Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ventilator II remote footswitch question

For the Vent II owners who also use the remote footswitch. Can the remote footswitch be programmed to select Bypass and Speed as opposed to Stop and Speed? I want to put the Ventilator back by my amp and use the remote footswitch along side my damper and expression pedals.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just skimmed through the Remote menu section of the Vent II manual as I was recently making some adjustments to my home unit. I see all kinds of options for stop/fast/slow and different variations, though I did not see anything to indicate that the Remote switch can be used for Bypass.

Check pages 27-29 here just to be sure I'm not missing it.

Thanks Eric. I had checked out the manual prior to asking. But I had hopes that I missed something.

Before I drop the change for a Ventilator II and remote, are they really, really good? I plan on using the Vent II on a Roland BK-9. I have a DMC-122/Gemini which is great, but too much to carry when I'm also hauling an 88 note DP. The Roland BK-9 has a decent organ section and tons of other sounds so it makes a good top kybd. I have been using a Lester K which has a different, if not a bit better, rotary speaker tonal character. But I'm hoping the Vent II would be an even better improvement.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

There are some threads and discussions on the Vent vs. other simulations you may want to check (also in other forums and Facebook, I believe). I'm a big fan of the Vents, currently owning FOUR of them. I think it is really, really good. I don't believe the Vent II raises the game that much more over an original Vent or Mini Vent.

I do have a Mini Vent for sale listed somewhere in this forum (had forgotten about it) if any interest. Not trying to turn this into a sales thread, but just pointing it out.

I've read through a number of comparison posts here and elsewhere. And have listened to comparison videos, but obviously that's not as good as hearing something in person. The fact that you have four Ventilators either means you think they are great, don't have anything else to spend your money on, or you're kind of nuts. :) But then so am I. Looks like it's time to call the candy store. ;)

Thanks again,

Dave

P.S. I run in stereo so the MiniVent wouldn't work for me. But thanks for pointing that out.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

For the Vent II owners who also use the remote footswitch. Can the remote footswitch be programmed to select Bypass and Speed as opposed to Stop and Speed?

Hey Dave, I just switched from a half moon switch triggering my Vent II to the Vent remote footswitch, new set up, just purchased a month or 2 ago. I am not aware that the pedal can be programmed for bypass. I'm not saying it can't be (I'm 7 hours away from the unit), but if it can I am unaware. The pedal, like the Vent, is very solid btw.

:nopity:

Hey Dave, I just switched from a half moon switch triggering my Vent II to the Vent remote footswitch, new set up, just purchased a month or 2 ago. I am not aware that the pedal can be programmed for bypass. I'm not saying it can't be (I'm 7 hours away from the unit), but if it can I am unaware. The pedal, like the Vent, is very solid btw.

Hi there. Thanks for the info. I may forgo the remote and just figure out a way to have the main unit down on the floor with my other pedals. If my top keyboard was dedicated to organ only, there would be no issue. But I need to bypass the Vent from time to time, sometimes within the same song. It'll all work out.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I have my Vent 2 in my rack. The footswitch jack controls speed only. However...

I drilled a small hole in the chassis and brought out another jack which parallels the bypass switch on the chassis. In my case, I have a momentary bypass switch on the front of my rack, but one could easily plug in a remote footswitch on a longer cable.

Moe

---

BTW, for people who don't know, Dave McMahan is a monster on the keyboards .....

https://www.facebook.com/william.d.mcmahan

Hi Dave, and thanks. You're mighty good yourself.

By tomorrow night, I will be the proud owner of a Neo Ventilator II w/remote footswitch. I've joined the ranks of the elite. ;)

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

The fact that you have four Ventilators either means you think they are great, don't have anything else to spend your money on, or you're kind of nuts. :) But then so am I. Looks like it's time to call the candy store. ;)

Congrats on your newest acquisition! Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

LOL on your comment about my four Ventilators. It's a bit over the top, though they have been gradually acquired over the years. My original Vent I has been with me in my gig rack since 2011 and continues to be a rock steady partner for all my live gigs. Around 2015, I acquired the Mini Vent for use at home as I don't like breaking out my rack and wanted a dedicated one in my music room. I used to also carry this one to my band's rehearsal space. When I got tired of that, around 2017 I think, I picked up a Vent II that stays at the rehearsal space permanently. Then more recently, a few months ago, I found another Vent II for a great deal and picked that up as a replacement for the Mini Vent I have at home. I'm slowly working on selling that Mini Vent, so I'll be back to three of these beasts - gig, rehearsal, home.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a Lester K. It definitely helped the organ on the Numa Compact 2X when I had that. I then used it on my Roland BK-9 and it was maybe a little better than the internal Leslie sim. This past Saturday night I used the Ventilator II on the BK-9 and just listened to the recording of that gig. Umm, WoW! I've been converted. The overdrive and spin-up/spin-down and the overall tone is really, really good. Thanks to everyone for pushing me to take the plunge.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• 2 months later...
Hi there, I've just bought a Neo Ventilator II - and need to control it by a remote. As I just need to change fast/slow via foot, I was hoping to find a small switch (similar in size to Roland DP-2) to save space on my pedal-crowded floor, and preferably more silent than the original button type. Anybody tested this, or know about somewhere to find more info? I googled and saw the manual, but I'm not into the soldering/wiring without some serious guidance...

Hi there, I've just bought a Neo Ventilator II - and need to control it by a remote. As I just need to change fast/slow via foot, I was hoping to find a small switch (similar in size to Roland DP-2) to save space on my pedal-crowded floor, and preferably more silent than the original button type. Anybody tested this, or know about somewhere to find more info? I googled and saw the manual, but I'm not into the soldering/wiring without some serious guidance...

I just did this for my original Vent. I bought a footswitch and rewired it as the switch that came with the footswitch was SPST (Single Pole, Single Throw) and for the original vent the switch needs to be SPDT (Single Pole, Dual Throw). The footswitch box was $13 and the replacement switch was $3. For the original Vent slow is obtained with Tip/Sleeve and Fast is obtained with Ring/Sleeve. Using the three poles that come with the SPDT switch, connect an outer pole to the tip, the middle pole to the Sleeve and the other outer pole to the ring. The connector you would be soldering to must be a TRS connector to support Tip/Ring/Sleeve. Pretty straight forward if you know how to solder. The switch I purchased was a latching switch meaning stomp down and release it moves to fast, stomp down and release again moves to slow.

spdt latching switch

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

You can use a simple single pole momentary switch to control the fast/ slow speed switching of the Vent 2 - However it's not quite as simple as just plugging in a 'standard' footswitch - like a Yamaha FC5...

The connections need to be made between the ring and sleeve of a 1/4" stereo jack plug, not the more normal tip and sleeve of the 1/4" mono jacks fitted to many foot switches. (Like the Yamaha FC5)

In addition, footswitches like the FC5 are 'normally closed', and the Vent is looking for a 'closing contact'... It's not that much of a problem, but you do have to remember that the speed will change when you release the footswitch, not when you press it.

(I understand some footswitches are normally open - so they would change speed each time you actually press the switch).

In either case the simplest way is to replace the 1/4" mono jack plug found on the end of most footswitches with a 1/4" stereo one...

The two footswitch wires need to be connected to ring and [i]sleeve[/i] (polarity doesn't matter) of the stereo jack, leaving the tip unconnected.

Simple enough solder job -- although I know some folk don't have access to soldering equipment.... Hopefully, it wouldn't be too difficult to find someone to help out with this very simple soldering task?

I use my Yamaha FC4 footswitch to control both sustain on my YC61, and the speed change on my Vent from the same single momentary switch on the FC4 -- but I did need to make a simple electronics box of tricks to do that.

(I can post the circuitry, if anyone is interested ? )

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

A million Thanks for sharing this in such details, Delaware Dave and Rogs, this is really helpful for me. I will definitely try this out (though with some support from a soldering-experienced friend of mine ;-)

Rogs, please do share the circuitry, I'm curious!

Q: I found this Boss footswitch with switcable polarity, is that maybe a good starting point? Use a mono jack in to the switch itself and a stereo jack (soldered as you instructed) into the Vent II?:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/boss_fs5l.htm

Btw, did I say I love this forum? So much to learn! Always somebody been there done this - and that, too! :-)

There's a single page PDF here: www.jp137.com/lts/YC61.Vent.opto.sw.pdf of the circuit I used here. There are several ways of doing this -- I just used what I had available in the workshop.

The important thing to remember is that there should never be any direct connections between the sockets on the Vent and the YC61. This may cause problems - or even damage the kit (although it probably won't!)

So - basically the single pole momentary switch needs to control an electrically isolated contact for each function. That can be a relay or - as I used - an opto isolator. There are many ways to skin this cat!!

Hi rogs. Do I understand correctly that wiring the trs on the Ventilator end will allow the use of a momentary sustain pedal to change speeds without having to keep your foot on the pedal? Also,can you tell me which remote mode you use on the Vent to allow this. The Vent ll will allow the use of a stock momentary switch but the switch must stay depressed to maintain fast speed. Thanks

Hi rogs. Do I understand correctly that wiring the trs on the Ventilator end will allow the use of a momentary sustain pedal to change speeds without having to keep your foot on the pedal?

Yes. But you need to realise that the jack plug fitted to the end of the lead connecting a momentary footswitch needs to be a stereo jack plug.

The 2 connections of the lead need to be made to the 'sleeve' and the 'ring' of that plug, and not to the 'sleeve' and the 'tip' which is how a mono jack plug normally fitted to this type of footswitch would be connected.

(A stereo jack plug is also known as a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) jack. Just google 'TRS jack' for more details of the connections.

Also,can you tell me which remote mode you use on the Vent to allow this. The Vent ll will allow the use of a stock momentary switch but the switch must stay depressed to maintain fast speed. Thanks

The remote position is switch position 1 (7 o'clock).

Also you need to be aware that most 'standard' footswitches like the Yamaha FC3 and FC5 are 'normally closed'. That means the switch goes 'open' when you press it, and 'closes' when you release it.

The momentary position 1 (7 o'clock) for the Vent 2 remote socket is looking for a closing switch to change the speed. That means that when you press the FC3 or FC5 nothing happens. When you release it, the speed will change. Press it again and nothing happens until you release it again. So a short 'stamp and release' on the footswitch is probably the best way to change the speed.

If the footswitch is the normally open type (I believe some are, but not sure which makes?) then the speed will change every time you press the footswitch, not when you release it.

Thanks rogs for the quick and comprehensive reply. I was up to speed on everything you previously mentioned except for which Vent remote mode to use and wasn"t sure if the momentary switch had to be held down to maintain speed. I was possibly a bit thick headed on the latter. Now I have to find out if this will also work with the original Vent since I have both Vent I and II. Even if it only works on the V2 this is good stuff. Looking at the V1 manual gives me a little doubt. Again,thanks for the valuable information. Looks like I"ll be rewiring a couple of foot switches.

BTW ,it appears the Korg PS3 foot switch is normally open if that"s of any value to anyone.

Thanks again!

Could a switchable footswitch be the safest, i.e. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FS5U--boss-fs-5u-non-latching-footswitch?

Or the latching sibling: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FS5L--boss-fs-5l-latching-footswitch?

Korg and Casio switches seem to be normally open according to this overview:

http://www.haydockmusic.com/reviews/sustain_pedal_polarity.html#.X9VNdl57lE4

No advantage to using a latching switch for this task...

⢠Use a 'normally open' momentary footswitch, and the Vent 2 speed will change each time you press the pedal.

⢠Use a 'normally closed' momentary footswitch, and the Vent 2 speed will change each time you release the pedal (after having pressed it)

For both types, you need to fit a stereo jack plug to the end of the footswitch lead, with the connections made to 'ring' an 'sleeve' -- ( it doesn't matter which way round ).

No connection to the 'tip' of the stereo jack plug.

There's a single page PDF here: www.jp137.com/lts/YC61.Vent.opto.sw.pdf of the circuit I used here. There are several ways of doing this -- I just used what I had available in the workshop.

The important thing to remember is that there should never be any direct connections between the sockets on the Vent and the YC61. This may cause problems - or even damage the kit (although it probably won't!)

So - basically the single pole momentary switch needs to control an electrically isolated contact for each function. That can be a relay or - as I used - an opto isolator. There are many ways to skin this cat!!

Looking at this again I decided that I didn't like the fact that the Vent speed would only change on pedal release using just a simple normally closed footswitch with no additional control.

So I though I'd have a go at making a version that could be programmed for either polarity of footswitch....

...I also decided that NO modifications should be made to ANY of the commercial units involved. ( That's the Vent, the keyboard or the remote footswitch - (whichever polarity it is)).

So it became an electronics project (albeit a very simple one) and provided me with a nice little pluggable interface that costs less than £20... (around $25)

I jotted down what I did, in case it's of interest to anyone else? ..... You can find my project notes here: www.vent.jp137.com

Hey rogs, Thanks so much for posting how to use a momentary foot switch/sustain pedal to control Vent speed. I haven"t had great luck using latching metal button pedals which often would fail to switch speeds (about one in ten attempts would fail to change speeds). These switches were meant to be used with the Vent so I really don"t know what the problem was. Happened with both Vent 1 and 2 and a number of trs to trs cables. Half moon switches worked perfectly.

I made a short adaptor cable using your wiring instructions and can now use any of my many sustain pedals to change speed. They work reliably and are easier to find with my foot than the button type. If I want stop I just push the stop button on the Vent. Funny thing is I think the manual only mentions using a momentary switch in a manner in which it has to be held down to maintain fast speed. Maybe I missed something? Whatever,I"m a happy guy. Thanks again.

Hey rogs, Thanks so much for posting how to use a momentary foot switch/sustain pedal to control Vent speed. I haven"t had great luck using latching metal button pedals which often would fail to switch speeds (about one in ten attempts would fail to change speeds). These switches were meant to be used with the Vent so I really don"t know what the problem was. Happened with both Vent 1 and 2 and a number of trs to trs cables. Half moon switches worked perfectly.

I made a short adaptor cable using your wiring instructions and can now use any of my many sustain pedals to change speed. They work reliably and are easier to find with my foot than the button type. If I want stop I just push the stop button on the Vent. Funny thing is I think the manual only mentions using a momentary switch in a manner in which it has to be held down to maintain fast speed. Maybe I missed something? Whatever,I"m a happy guy. Thanks again.

Glad it has worked out OK....

There is one further variation some folk might like to try out?....It's a useful option for those who don't want to get involved with any soldering or the replacement of any jack plugs.

You'll need:

⢠Two of THESE (or any similar momentary footswitch with a normally open option)

⢠And one of THESE --- or any similar stereo 6.35mm jack plug to 2 x 6.35mm mono jack socket adaptor.

Then just plug each footswitch into the adaptor, and the adaptor into the Vent remote socket.

With the Vent 2 remote setting in Switch1 Mode (7 o'clock) -- one momentary footswitch will change the speed from fast to slow each time it's pressed - and the other will alternately switch between the currently selected speed and the rotors stopping.

So -- 2 cheap footswitches to replicate both footswitch speed control functions on the Vent itself ... and no soldering! :)