Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Polybrute

Sounds dry (no verb at least) to me at that point.

Yeah that's a sound that something like my MODX just isn't going to even get close to. My old Virus could take your head off too so it's not necessarily an "analog!" purist thing.

This thing sounds great and looks great.

• 3 months later...

It's shipping, and with a very comprehensive editor....

Editor was written by Dr. Stephen Fortner :cool:

"Full disclosure: I wrote the instruction manual for PolyBrute Connect, the companion software editor-librarian for this synth, and will be continuing to help them with FAQs, future manuals, and more." S.F.

Check out his review on the MPN GearLabs Fourm :

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3084591/in-the-lab-arturia-polybrute#Post3084591

:nopity:

I am looking forward to good youtube content really stretching the legs of the polybrute's ability. Most of the demos have been pretty forgettable, but there are sparks of magic in the use of the tone blender pad and the assignable slide control above the keybed.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

None have arrived in the US yet. Some European destinations started getting them last week.

I pre-ordered in I think Sept of last year and Sweetwater called me last week to see if I wanted to keep my pre-order, but I haven't gotten the "they're here" call back from them yet. Really looking forward to it...but I now officially have too many keyboards.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Gripe alert!!

I just got through skimming the new Sweetwater demo vid of the Polybrute. While I didn't sit through all 40 min (hey, I got shit to do), I did skim from beginning to end. I can't point to any section of the 40 minutes where anything resembling a F*cking song is played (subjective opinion). Ya ya, it can morph, loop envelopes, arpeggiate, etc....but WHERE IS THE SONG! FX and head bobbing knob twisting are fun and all, but after a while it's like a 5 year old with a toy. This rant is not specific to the Polybrute demo, or even sweetwater. Also, most piano, ep and organ focused demos feature what I would consider songs or coherent musical passages. But with synth demos, this type of Saturday Afternoon Guitar Center cacophony is so pervasive.

Agreed. While I do want to hear/see what the various controls are capable of, a little goes a long way in the bleep, bloop, filter sweep type sounds. And arpeggiators, so it can play a series of repeating notes. I guess in this world of very repetitive phrases being used for complete 'songs', this is a selling point. ech! But back to your main point of "where is the song". Several personal gripes of mine is when a demo consists of multiple tracks leaving you to try and figure out which sound(s) is actually coming form the instrument you are interested in. I mean it's nice to hear how something sits in a mix, but I still want to hear individual sounds as they come from the direct outs. And the worse gripe is when the demonstrator is more concerned with showing off their playing ability rather than focusing on the instrument they are supposed to be demoing. I don't give a darn about how fast you can play, or alternate chord voicing, etc.. Just play some sounds.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• 4 months later...
Gripe alert!!

... I can't point to any section of the 40 minutes where anything resembling a F*cking song is played (subjective opinion). Ya ya, it can morph, loop envelopes, arpeggiate, etc....but WHERE IS THE SONG! FX and head bobbing knob twisting are fun and all, but after a while it's like a 5 year old with a toy...

Reviving this thread because I've been checking everything on the Polybrute for a while now. I think I'm going to get one in the next few weeks. Anyway, I quoted a portion of the rant because I think this kbd is an exception to that argument. Its selling point to me is unexplored territory. I don't need to hear "Jump" or some other cliche. I'm hearing things out of this that I don't hear out of other synths. That's got me excited. I could care less if it can mimic the patch du jour on some forgettable hit on the radio. But of course, YMMV.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I suspect you will really enjoy it. While it is capable of excellent reproducing sounds from the legendary synths of yore, it is exceptional at allowing you to just explore a sound. The Polybrute connect editor is a work of art; you can see everything you're doing on the PB immediately on screen or hear whatever you're changing in the editor on screen in real time. Combine it with a touch screen pc and the hours just slip away...

Kurzweil PC3x - Polybrute - Voyager XL - Minitaur - Roland PK-5 - Integra-7 - TR-8s - KArp Odyssey

"Prog keyboardists are supposed to look like they're manning the helm of the Starship Enterprise..." -synthizen2

• 2 years later...

Well... I just bought one. I haven't had much time with it yet but... wow. In a marketplace full of reissues and clones, this instrument stands out as a wholly unique sounding synth with it's own identity. A pad monster supreme up there with Alchemy (the previous record holder of ultimate pad machine) and yet capable of earth rumbling bass, soaring leads, and far more. I haven't even made it through all the presets yet; I keep getting stuck for hours on one or two sounds. 

Visually it is stunning as well. Kudos to Arturia for creating something special and innovative in what can sometimes be a stale market (though I do love my OB-X8 and P10!).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Well... I just bought one. I haven't had much time with it yet but... wow. In a marketplace full of reissues and clones, this instrument stands out as a wholly unique sounding synth with it's own identity. A pad monster supreme up there with Alchemy (the previous record holder of ultimate pad machine) and yet capable of earth rumbling bass, soaring leads, and far more. I haven't even made it through all the presets yet; I keep getting stuck for hours on one or two sounds. 

Visually it is stunning as well. Kudos to Arturia for creating something special and innovative in what can sometimes be a stale market (though I do love my OB-X8 and P10!).

Do I sense that this is now your new favorite synth?

congratz on your new baby !

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Very beautiful synth, I like the Morphée controller very much!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

4 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Well... I just bought one. I haven't had much time with it yet but... wow.  I haven't even made it through all the presets yet; I keep getting stuck for hours on one or two sounds.

Congrats in picking up the PolyBute.  It is a very cool sounding synth.  Have a blast with it mayne.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

4 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

... I haven't even made it through all the presets yet; I keep getting stuck for hours on one or two sounds...

That was my experience with it the first time I played one. I spent about a half hour with it and only made it they 2 presets. It's just so inviting. I've had mine over a year now. Still love it, still got a lot of exploring to do. 

www.gmma.biz

Ok, I found one small thing I don't like about the synth so far. I'm not really gelling with this keybed. It's not bad per se. It just doesn't feel very high quality and it doesn't respond as fast as I would like. I wonder if it's a Fatar and can be swapped out with a better Fatar. The TP9/S that I installed into my Oberheim OB8 is the kind of feel I like; fast, steady, keys not wobbling around, nice depth, and just the right amount of resistance at the bottom of the key travel. I think the Oberheim OB-X8 uses the same one. That's a nice, high quality keybed.

It reminds me of the Prophet 12 keybed. I love that synth; don't like the keybed. 

• Like 1

Ok, I found one small thing I don't like about the synth so far. I'm not really gelling with this keybed. It's not bad per se. It just doesn't feel very high quality and it doesn't respond as fast as I would like. 

Agree completely. 

www.gmma.biz

Same with the keybed. Don't hate it but it's definitely not as nice as the one on my OB-6, which is pretty much my fave synth action.

I love the keyboard overall, especially with the new OS. A few things that would help

-A universal transpose. I play in a band that detunes everything and the PB will only detune 1/2 step via a tuning knob.
-Effects section needs a distortion

-PB Connect sends some weird midi stuff I can't track down, so if you have PB connect running on the same computer that you're running mainstage or my NordStage some random things start happening even though I don't have PB as part of my mainstage setup.  So PB Connect must be run on a separate computer than your mainstage rig (unless you're smarter with MIDI than me...which I'm sure many of you are).

The PB Connect thing is probably the biggest issue for me, the rest are minor problems, but seem to be easy fixes to me.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

On 9/4/2023 at 1:04 PM, Jim Alfredson said:

Ok, I found one small thing I don't like about the synth so far. I'm not really gelling with this keybed. It's not bad per se. It just doesn't feel very high quality and it doesn't respond as fast as I would like. I wonder if it's a Fatar and can be swapped out with a better Fatar. The TP9/S that I installed into my Oberheim OB8 is the kind of feel I like; fast, steady, keys not wobbling around, nice depth, and just the right amount of resistance at the bottom of the key travel. I think the Oberheim OB-X8 uses the same one. That's a nice, high quality keybed.

It reminds me of the Prophet 12 keybed. I love that synth; don't like the keybed. 

Jim,

I totally agree, it's the first thing I noticed with the PolyBrute (and my MatrixBrute as well)-- it's weirdly 'klunky' with shallow depth of travel especially of the white keys.  I'm a 'pounder' with little technique and find it fatiguing compared to all my Yamaha keybeds.  And god forbid I play the Arturias immediately after playing the Osmose

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

I received a reply from Arturia: "Thank you for reaching out and thank you for your time and patience. I'll be glad to assist you.

The keybed is not Fatar, but it is a premium velocity/pressure-sensitive keybed.

I'll ask my Aftersales colleagues if it is compatible with the TP9/S keybed and will get back to you as soon as possible, as replacing the keybed on this unit is not a simple procedure."

Two things: I heard back again from Arturia re: the keybed and the gentlemen claimed that the Fatar TP9/S is not compatible because it only comes in 49 keys, which is of course not true. So he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

And secondly, Arturia released new firmware today for the PolyBrute that adds some great features including the ability to turn down the blindingly bright white LEDs!

• 5 months later...