Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We�ve been visited by aliens

ElmerJFudd

There's some kinds of jazz i just don't get or particularly like. 99% of the time that's my reaction, but there was one time, in a Stockholm club, that I heard a loud 3 piece band playing music not dissimilar, all over the place, just like I don't like. And for some reason, no drugs involved, on this one night it took me to a transcendent place, really blew my mind.

I wish it'd changed me- before and since, I have no connection to this music. Enlighten me, or not, but I am curious what other people hear and find of value other than the insane chops and sense of rhythym they possess.

My analysis . I get the chords and the groove.

For the first half of the tune, it was hitting the groove and showing off bass parts on LH.

If it were me recording, the LH Bass would be a track.

And I would work

on the existing chords and add in another instrument, such as tasty trumpet

where it would launch a strong lead part.

But that's the way I roll. I like more tracks.

I understand the musicians were thinking 3 piece improv with a fast, 140[ ?]

BPM groove.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I would work

I understand the musicians were thinking 3 piece

2 piece! It could be interesting to see how they might expand this in the context of a recorded arrangement, but for 2 people playing live. they're at their limit, in terms of simultaneous # of parts.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

And I would work

I understand the musicians were thinking 3 piece

2 piece! It could be interesting to see how they might expand this in the context of a recorded arrangement, but for 2 people playing live. they're at their limit, in terms of simultaneous # of parts.

Lets review !

bass

Piano

drums

2 people. But in my bubble, piece is the instrument.

Nah, they could track in a prerecorded bass part, and keep the groove- depending on how well the drummer can keep a steady BPM

And the bass could be part live and part back up track depending on the song section.

Like I said, that's how I would roll it. I doubt the casual audience would notice the bass was tracked for 1 or 2 minutes . or more.

[70's Songwriter]

To me, playing to tracks is not the same as fully playing live. Whether the audience can tell the difference or not is besides the point.

That said, I know people do some very creative live performances with loops, which is arguably not so different.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

To me, playing to tracks is not the same as fully playing live. Whether the audience can tell the difference or not is besides the point.

That said, I know people do some very creative live performances with loops, which is arguably not so different.

I get it. I don't see tracks as a " All or nothing " or black and white thing in a song.

Or convince folks into having arrangers [ I know they sound good].

Not attempting to change a hard working musicians mind here.

My point is

tracks can tastefully utilized in a song. And a musician can elevate other musical areas

while the bass guitar track does its job.

[70's Songwriter]

It seems to me that there's little purpose to be served by attempting to draw a sharp line of demarcation between jazz and prog. On the one hand I could say that I view it as more of a sliding scale; a continuum. On the other hand, I'll bet that few people would have argued if Return To Forever and Weather Report had been classified by the Powers That Be as prog. Prog seems to me to be such a broad umbrella that there's ample room for RTF and WR underneath. Surely RTF is a closer match to, say, Yes than...oh...let's say, Genesis.

For what it's worth, I think the original link above has merit. It may not be as fully developed as I'd like, but if it's a product demo, then I wouldn't expect them to put as much effort into composition as if it was for themselves.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

To me, playing to tracks is not the same as fully playing live.

Not looking to enter into a debate one way or the other here Scott, but your comment made me think of a prominent party band in my home town who are advertising a "Live Stream" to be performed in a couple of weeks. They run quite a few tracks, most notably bass, when they play. Maybe they should call it a "more or less live stream", heheh!

Not looking to enter into a debate one way or the other here Scott, but your comment made me think of a prominent party band in my home town who are advertising a "Live Stream" to be performed in a couple of weeks. They run quite a few tracks, most notably bass, when they play. Maybe they should call it a "more or less live stream", heheh!

If they are in different locales merging their performances - yep, it's a more or less live stream. :)

But that's as good as it gets these days until we can have negligible latency playing together again.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If they are in different locales merging their performances - yep, it's a more or less live stream. :)

But that's as good as it gets these days until we can have negligible latency playing together again.

Ha good point! However they'll definitely be all together in one place (including their sequencer), playing to an empty room but an on-line audience.

Did anyone else notice that in this "Nord Session" the drummer hit like two notes on the Nord Drum in the intro and stayed the hell off of it for the entire rest of the song? Just sayin'.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Did anyone else notice that in this "Nord Session" the drummer hit like two notes on the Nord Drum in the intro and stayed the hell off of it for the entire rest of the song? Just sayin'.

Shows us how useful he finds it. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 4 weeks later...

I've come to this party a little late.

Just an observation. Not liking what someone is playing is NOT equal to not liking the player.

I really dig DOMi and other stuff I've heard her do. So talented and can play circles around me.

I also really dig JD Beck and while I'm not a drummer, I certainly recognize the immense talent.

This collaboration of what I've heard so far just doesn't do it for me, at all.

Just for me, I recognize, respect, and enjoy seeing the raw talent. I just don't care for how it is being applied.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

• 1 month later...