Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Virtual Happy Hour/WWKCFH - Friday May 1, 6pm ET

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's do it again soon!

How about Fri 6/5 same time? Would a weekend daytime in the US line up better across global time zones?

We don"t have to wait that long. We did the last one three weeks ago.

It was another great hang and as far as I"m concerned, we can keep doing them as long as we want to.

As far as time zones, I"ve given up trying to figure that stuff out. If you guys come to a consensus on a time (and day), it"s fine with me.

Thanks everyone! I"m glad you all enjoyed it. Sorry you didn"t make it, Carlo. I know staying up late can be tough after a long day.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sorry I missed it - that time on Friday is a no-go for me (I'm the cook & bartender for "date night"). Maybe there could be 2 sessions on the same day in the future? That would accommodate many of our non-U.S. members as well as those of us with incompatible schedules in the states.

Just on times - the two sessions idea is a good one as it's impossible to sync up the US / Europe and Oceanic areas without someone needing to be up in the middle of the night ( as per this example ).

Thanks everyone for organizing this. Even though I didn't contribute much it was so nice to join the meeting & see some friendly faces!

Larry G

Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

Just on times - the two sessions idea is a good one as it's impossible to sync up the US / Europe and Oceanic areas without someone needing to be up in the middle of the night ( as per this example ).

Or, we could make it a one really long session. I mean, the way Sam sets these up, they're open until no one is on, he checks it, and he shuts it down. For all I know, Friday's session might still be open.

I think the big issue with doing it like that is that people expect to see a start time. If the start is a time they can't make, they often don't bother. We could try it, though. If the thread title gives a day, and in the first post we say something like, "what time does it start? Whenever you're ready where you are." Or something like that.

Does that make sense? Does it seem like a good idea? Someone could make an effort to post in the thread that it's still going on, who has joined from where, etc. so that more people see it's still active and can join.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Or, we could make it a one really long session. I mean, the way Sam sets these up, they're open until no one is on, he checks it, and he shuts it down. For all I know, Friday's session might still be open.

I think the big issue with doing it like that is that people expect to see a start time. If the start is a time they can't make, they often don't bother. We could try it, though. If the thread title gives a day, and in the first post we say something like, "what time does it start? Whenever you're ready where you are." Or something like that.

Does that make sense? Does it seem like a good idea? Someone could make an effort to post in the thread that it's still going on, who has joined from where, etc. so that more people see it's still active and can join.

That's actually a pretty great idea, IMO. That would probably lead to smaller groups and the abiliy for more people to be able to converse with each other - with so many people all on at once it seems mathematically clear that less people have the ability to be heard.

I think it'd be coolto have people be able to wander i an out over a longer period of time. I'd love to be able to chat with the folks in Europe in the morning, and the Aussies in the evening.

Sam, how doable is that?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I could see leaving it running and logged in in the background and popping in and out as I feel like it, as well as who I see on it. Not that there's anyone I don't want to talk to, but there might be some I haven't talked to in a while that I want to catch. I could see it being very much like a water cooler as I work thought out the day.

So if we do this, would we call it a "Happy Days" instead of a Happy Hour? :D

[video:youtube]

I'll be Mrs. C.!

0beeea576a91b970aec2201348f7324b.jpg

(I couldn't find a pic of her with an ironing boardâ¦)

I'd say I may be more qualified to be Potsie. :puff::idk::D

dB

I'll arm wrestle you for it. On second thought, I think I'll just lay here on the couch.

I was wondering if this was gonna turn into a KC smoke-off. Entrants so far: SoCal Stoners vs Tennessee Tokers vs The Canuck Cough vs ???

Just as long as it doesn't jump the shark.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That's actually a pretty great idea, IMO. That would probably lead to smaller groups and the abiliy for more people to be able to converse with each other - with so many people all on at once it seems mathematically clear that less people have the ability to be heard.

I think it'd be coolto have people be able to wander i an out over a longer period of time. I'd love to be able to chat with the folks in Europe in the morning, and the Aussies in the evening.

Sam, how doable is that?

dB

Good lord, I spend the last three days painting and such in the new house and I come back to a thread about Happy Days. :roll:

I can set the meeting up to start and end at any time. I think what generally happens is after a certain period of inactivity -- 45 minutes? -- the meeting closes out on its own (Joe and J. Dan were still talking when I went to sleep on Friday, so I just left the meeting open, and it had closed itself out by the morning.

But if I set it up properly, someone could still join the meeting anew even if it had been inactive for awhile. I bet the link for last week's meeting would work if someone tried it right now. So I'm all for this idea.

I think we should still force Holloway to join us during his morning hours though, just for fun, so nobody tell him! :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Maybe this has already been suggested... create a sticky link with a perpetual Zoom link. The ongoing KC virtual pub so to speak, can wander in and out anytime, all the time. Seems like there was always be a few folks hanging out and chatting it up yes?

Sam, how do you get the Zoom to be perpetual? Are you paying? I'm doing meetups with friends with free Zoom, but it times out after 40 minutes, then asks you to upgrade.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Maybe this has already been suggested... create a sticky link with a perpetual Zoom link. The ongoing KC virtual pub so to speak, can wander in and out anytime, all the time. Seems like there was always be a few folks hanging out and chatting it up yes?

Sam, how do you get the Zoom to be perpetual? Are you paying? I'm doing meetups with friends with free Zoom, but it times out after 40 minutes, then asks you to upgrade.

I have a pro account through my day job, so I get the perpetual meetings without having to pay out of pocket. I think that's how I wound up being in charge of this (though I posit that Joe Muscara is the real mastermind; I'm just doing my humble best to execute the vision)!

The only reason I wouldn't set up a permanent link is that even with the pro account, Zoom only allows one active meeting for a host at once. So, I don't want to be hosting a meeting for work, and then get an error because a couple of folks pop into the KC Virtual Pub (the behavior is unpredictable and could lead to errors in either or both meetings). So for now, the best compromise is an ongoing meeting, but with guidelines about when folks should sign in over a particular day/time range, so that it doesn't conflict with my work needs.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.