Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul Schaefer Plus One

Just saw Paul Schaefer Plus One on AXS TV. The guest is Donald Fagen. He's on his Rhodes, sounds amazing. Paul is at an acoustic. So there's playing, and there's Q and A.

I'm screaming at the TV---Paul would not shut the f up. Talked over Fagen consistently and annoyingly.

Ron Wood has a similar show---not good. He just laughs and mumbles.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer to hear that -- I'm a big fan of Paul's, and remember seeing the ad for that show and being very interested. Still would like to check it out.

Then again, I often do enjoy Ron Wood's show, depending on the guest.

I like Paul a lot, I actually think he's got a wild and whacky sense of humor. I like Ron a lot, seems like a great hang. I want to like their shows, I just find both lacking.

BTW, check out the Fagen episode--seems like Fagen is fairly annoyed...more than usual.

I'll still watch both shows---there's enough good to counter the buffoonery.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Speaking of musicians with shows â I'm surprised but a googledysven produced zero hits at KC for Dave Sanborn's new show. They do some talking sitting around the kitchen table, some in-the-studio musician-speak stuff, but you also get start-to-end tunes that are well-shot and well-recorded. I love this one:

[video:youtube]

Speaking of musicians with shows â I'm surprised but a googledysven produced zero hits at KC for Dave Sanborn's new show. They do some talking sitting around the kitchen table, some in-the-studio musician-speak stuff, but you also get start-to-end tunes that are well-shot and well-recorded. I love this one:

I missed the Grammy's last, but I understand music and performances like this were all over it...wasn't it???

My point, of course, is that you can't substitute lights, dance, video trickery, and money, with music like this. THIS, is what the definition of priceless music is all about!

Thanks for sharing, and apologies for derailing this thread.

I kinda derailed, I think! Couldn't help it, I looked but could not find the Paul Shaffer show anywhere as I guess it's subscriber-only. It just got me thinking of the other musician-hosted shows I've seen and Sanborn's stood out as it's very recent. There's an episode with Kandace Springs that's pretty good too.

Dave - you went to high school with Mike McDonald? And Sanborn is from that area too? I had no idea. Did you guys ever play together back then? Mike is absolutely a class act. AWB did a show in Florida where his band played after us. Were watching from the side of the stage and when they were done, they walked off and Mike stopped to shake my hand and we had a short conversation â I couldn't believe he took any notice of us at all! Later there was talk of having us do some gigs together, he thought it would make for a good bill. That was a few years ago and of course talk is cheap since it hasn't happened. BTW his band killed â all Nashville cats. Pat Coil was playing keys.

May I just say....there were plenty of flashy dancers/singers/fireworks-lighter-offers in the good old days too, and comparing a studio-shot, living-room-sessions kind of production to a glitzy TV "event" broadcast seems a bit disingenuous. On that same Grammy broadcast, a couple of fantastically talented high school students who do nothing other than produce beautifully written songs in a home-studio the size of, well, a high school student's bedroom, won all four major Grammys for only the second time in history and the first time in 40 years. How we are not all coming away from that encouraged that the future of our field is in good hands, but instead griping that some of the artists danced that night, is a mystery to me.

/rant

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

May I just say....there were plenty of flashy dancers/singers/fireworks-lighter-offers in the good old days too, and comparing a studio-shot, living-room-sessions kind of production to a glitzy TV "event" broadcast seems a bit disingenuous. On that same Grammy broadcast, a couple of fantastically talented high school students who do nothing other than produce beautifully written songs in a home-studio the size of, well, a high school student's bedroom, won all four major Grammys for only the second time in history and the first time in 40 years. How we are not all coming away from that encouraged that the future of our field is in good hands, but instead griping that some of the artists danced that night, is a mystery to me.

/rant

I concur.

A great video showing how they went about creating said album in their bedrooms....

Live From Daryl's House did it right....the music got the focus.......a little socializing and joking at dinner is interesting and entertaining but many people either as the interviewer or the interviewee are boring.

The last news post on the website said it was relaunching in the fall of 2018. Anyone know what has happened? Did the restaurant take precedence?

Live From Daryl's House did it right....the music got the focus.......a little socializing and joking at dinner is interesting and entertaining but many people either as the interviewer or the interviewee are boring.

The last news post on the website said it was relaunching in the fall of 2018. Anyone know what has happened? Did the restaurant take precedence?

They're killing it on the road. Whether LFDH was planned to boost their live draw, I don't know. But the end result is they're making bank. Madison Square Garden at the end of this month. I would imagine their guarantee for that show alone is $300-500K? Amphitheater dates all summer.....15-20K seats each night. Cha-Ching.

https://www.pollstar.com/Artist/daryl-hall-john-oates-41655?tab=upcomingDates&page=0

Sorry for the continued derail Sagetunes

Yea this thread has grown a few branches, I see! Thanks for the history. That picture of MMcD at 15 years old is something! And the Blue reunion tracks on the website â they all sound great and Mike is just killing it, as he always does.

You should edit Sanborn's Wikipedia entry â it only mentions him playing with Albert King and Little Milton before joining Paul Butterfield.

If I may further derail this thread by talking about..Paul Shaffer! lol.

I'm a Paul Shaffer fan for the concept and execution of his Late Night (with Letterman) Band. I liked the way they would launch into about any pop or soul song and nail it, and the goofy way they would orchestrate the Letterman Show's stunts. He was the 1st one to really make me aware of the big, fat, wild and greasy sound of the Hammond organ. Kudos to Paul also, for writing and arranging the Late Night theme, one of my fave instrumentals. I loved the extended version on his Coast to Coast album.

A local, very well-established musician has a lock on the corporate/society instrumental music scene. He calls me if the gig calls for pop/Motown instrumentals, with a few jazz standards in the mix. The Late Night Band is his template- someone takes the head, plays it one time through exactly like the vocals on the record (no ad-libbing), after that comes the improv. The "head" part usually falls to me, while the horn players get their bearings. It's all about the melody. Sometimes even accomplished jazzers seem to struggle with reproducing a simple lead line on the fly.

PS has probably been a "wing it" musician in the public eye more so than any other. As such, he has had times where what he did may not have been 100%. I still think he did great, for what he was doing. Paul may not be a "serious" player but he can seriously play what's in his wheelhouse- blues rock. I was surprised to find that it was him on some of my favorite blues rock tracks, on Delbert McClinton's "Never Been Rocked Enough" record. Especially on the title track and "Cease and Desist", the latter what I consider to be a perfect piano solo. I had assumed it was Kevin McKendree (another hero of mine) playing those. Would a jazz at Lincoln Center player be able to get that rootsy, barrelhouse feel? Maybe so, if they're a chameleon- the best example of that I can think being Matt Rollings.

I was thumbing through the channel guide and saw the Paul Shaffer show listed on AXS. Didn't have the time to sit down to it, but I will check it out another time.

AXS has been having some great shows. Dan Rather interviewing Geddy Lee, shows where they get the insights from the artists on the creation of classic albums.

I saw on where they went through the making of "Dark Side of the Moon", and another on the making of "Aja"

It's a great channel

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I was thumbing through the channel guide and saw the Paul Shaffer show listed on AXS. Didn't have the time to sit down to it, but I will check it out another time.

AXS has been having some great shows. Dan Rather interviewing Geddy Lee, shows where they get the insights from the artists on the creation of classic albums.

I saw on where they went through the making of "Dark Side of the Moon", and another on the making of "Aja"

It's a great channel

I wish they were more generous with their on demand content, or provided a streaming app. I gave up my DVR and miss a lot of stuff.