Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff Goldblum.

Zalman Stern

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK.

All that mugging. Sheesh. Why??

I didn't want to hold it against him so I took a brief Rabbit Hole trip to see what he's got. IMO he brings some fundamental abilities to the table--a pretty nice touch, some rhythmic comfort, and some nice little flourishes here and there. But...on all the clips I saw, in one way or another, he was the worst part of the equation.

I was particularly happy to find this clip of him with my favorite current non-pop singer, Gregory Porter. But again, I spent the clip just wanting the choppy piano player to get out of the way of the fantastic singer.

There is a solo of sorts at 2:00.

[video:youtube]

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Funny, I actually heard a small portion of the NPR interview while in the car. It was the part where he describes calling cocktail lounges from the yellow pages, with no experience to speak of - beyond working out the blues scale. I had no idea it was Goldblum telling the story, but was impressed by this persons balls.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Dont like to pigeon hole folks. Its a long life, and success in one field doesnt mean were not capable in others. But its pretty obvious Jeff is enjoying a hobby here. Although that doesnt mean his household name status might not steal a few gigs from better players. But thats how it goes, you know?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

My friend has been his bassist for a number of years now. He's a nice guy from what I've been told. I don't think anyone takes him serious as a player that I know. Typical Hollywood shit, nothing new. ;)

He has some chops. Chevy Chase has some chops. Clint Eastwood, Robert Downey, Jr., Hugh Laurie is very good, Dustin Hoffman studied to be a classical pianist before turning to acting, Phyllis Diller was an accomplished player, and I understand that Paris Hilton is no slouch. Courtney Cox plays piano and supposedly is a decent drummer.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Although with bands like these guys behind you, ANYONE would sound good!
(it's Goldblum and band)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

At the university I attended, drama and music were both housed in the Performing Arts building. There was a lot of crossover, mingling. It was a rare musician who didn't play in a production or two. Many of those in drama also studied singing and often were far better than the "real", but untrained singers you'd hear belting out rock tunes at the local clubs. I knew of several talented musicians who made the switch and majored in drama (let's get real, what are most people going to do with a degree in either). I don't know why it should be a big surprise when an actor is also a talented singer or musician, it's probably deep in their background.

Busch.

There are definitely actors who were primarily musicians and then somehow found themselves succeeding in their "second" endeavor before their first. So we know them as actors, but they think of themselves as musicians who just keep getting work as actors. I think Kevin Bacon describes himself that way, if memory serves. Carrie Brownstein would qualify too. I'm sure there are lots of others.

www.joshweinstein.com

In high school I was "the piano guy," as I'm sure were many of you. The "next best piano guy" who was a year behind me, and then became "the piano guy" after I graduated, decided to major in theater and pursue acting instead of music. A good number of you probably saw him this past week playing Patricia Arquette's husband in the new Showtime series "Escape At Dannemora," so he's done quite well for himself as an actor. But the fact that he went into a different profession doesn't diminish his musical talent, and he's still very much a real player. Sure, Goldblum's celebrity status gets his playing more attention than it would get otherwise. Still, he's no slouch.

Personally Im for anything that brings a bit of popular attention to jazz. Im over 50 and still usually one of the younger folks in attendance at a lot of shows I go to.

That said, I thought Ethan Iversons take on Twitter was an interesting read.

@ethan_iverson: Lotta support for Jeff Goldblum in my mentions. Perhaps Im an extremist, but for me Goldblum is of a piece with Whiplash and LaLa Land. Not going to write a new think piece, but heres the Whip. (Which has plenty of haters) https://ethaniverson.com/rhythm-and-blues/the-drum-thing-or-a-brief-history-of-whiplash-or-im-generalizing-here/

Do the Math blog post

Iversons post goes into some interesting territory on race and artistry v. showmanship. I watched a panel discussion on race in jazz with Wynton Marsalis and Iverson that I felt unfortunately stayed at a very superficial level.

Is it just a musician thing to look down on those who play and are well known in another field?

I wonder if other astrophysicists look down on Brian May as being just a musician. Or as a musician does his star shine brighter?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

...and LaLa Land.

What I found especially impressive about Ryan Goslings performance in La La Land was that he reportedly learned to play piano in just three months for the role; no hand double was used.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Is it just a musician thing to look down on those who play and are well known in another field?

I wonder if other astrophysicists look down on Brian May as being just a musician. Or as a musician does his star shine brighter?

I actually had him in mind when I posted before about sidelined musicians, because May says, basically, he was always an Astrophysicist PhD/Professor in his mind, he just happened to have his band get famous for awhile along the way.

www.joshweinstein.com

I am glad that he's employing great musicians (including some friends of mine). The thing that is frustrating for folks like me that have been in the trenches for over 20 years is that due to his acting success, he's automatically catapulted to the top of the jazz charts and press for what is really some very very mediocre playing. There are many other extremely hard-working and gifted musicians out there that are struggling.

But that's just the way it goes. Music is not a meritocracy. So keep on keepin' on, Goldblum and we will do the same.

I actually saw him perform first on Law & Order and he seemed much more comfortable as a soloist and for 30 seconds reminded me of the bad ass Pianist from Mr. Rogers.

I guess he was inspired more in a cameo setting instead of live.

Hes a pretty humble guy so Id bet hes embarrassed about the title, but so what?

Watching a celebrity act, sing, dance and perform sure beats watching one of our sorry asses.

Cut him some slack.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I highly doubt hes embarrassed about it.

Im with Jim. On a Facebook thread about this, someone commented that Well, its better than Nickelback.

My reply was - No. I contend it isnt. The existence of Nickelback doesnt make the average person go, This is rock music in its entirety. But this kind of things gets labeled as jazz and Jeff gets declared a jazz piano player and the average person thinks, Well, this is jazz.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I highly doubt hes embarrassed about it.

Im with Jim. On a Facebook thread about this, someone commented that Well, its better than Nickelback.

My reply was - No. I contend it isnt. The existence of Nickelback doesnt make the average person go, This is rock music in its entirety. But this kind of things gets labeled as jazz and Jeff gets declared a jazz piano player and the average person thinks, Well, this is jazz.

So the avg person has no idea what jazz is or is about ... and ... well .. ok. I agree.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

this kind of things gets labeled as jazz and Jeff gets declared a jazz piano player and the average person thinks, Well, this is jazz.

I know exactly what you mean. I can't tell you how many times people leave my shows saying to each other, "Oh, that must be how every charming, handsome, and erudite man plays piano," and I have to say, "No, no, please don't generalize like that it, it's not fair to the other charming, handsome, and erudite men, I am special in this sense." It's a burden and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

www.joshweinstein.com

"So the avg person has no idea what jazz is or is about ... and ... well .. ok. I agree."

Many musicians have no idea what jazz is about. I put out a jazz record of original material recently and numerous non-jazz musician friends assumed that I had written everything, including the improvised solos.

He's having fun, people enjoy it, and the musicians in his band are being paid (and probably better than if JG wasn't in the band) to play a fairly high profile gig, and they appear to be having fun, too. The fact that his record is the number one jazz record isn't hurting anyone. The people who buy JG's album wouldn't have bought the number two record if JG's album didn't exist. Well, maybe this week it's a Tony Bennet and Diana Krall album. But generally, the people who buy JG's record weren't going to buy a jazz record by a "real" jazz artist instead.

Saying that "he's automatically catapulted to the top of the jazz charts and press for what is really some very very mediocre playing" is insulting to the other musicians in his band. I've only heard bits, but it's a great sounding record with nice arrangements, and really good players and singers, led by someone who's probably the weakest link, and who's playing style is a bit outside what most people would consider typical. The same could be said about this week's #3 album on the jazz charts, Willie Nelson's "My Way" or the #18 album, You're Driving Me Crazy by Van Morrison And Joey DeFrancesco (note: the weakest link I'm talking about isn't Joey). If the backing musicians sucked, people would notice.

And if people hear JG's record and think "this is what jazz is", who cares? Again, I've only heard bits, but yeah, it's vocal jazz record. Plenty of people who have never heard of Del McCoury or Hank Williams Sr. think that Jason Aldean and Florida Georgia Line define country music. Plenty of people think that Medeski, Martin, and Wood is a jazz group, but to me, without John Scofield, they're just a rhythm section, soooooooo.

Plenty of people think that Medeski, Martin, and Wood is a jazz group, but to me, without John Scofield, they're just a rhythm section, soooooooo.

Too funny. :roll:

Regarding the thread, while I don't believe his project should be catapulted to the top of the chart, let Jeff Goldblum indulge his musical muse.

This detour won't last forever. Regularly scheduled programming will return soon. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Saying that "he's automatically catapulted to the top of the jazz charts and press for what is really some very very mediocre playing" is insulting to the other musicians in his band.

I disagree. The quoted poster above didn't say that the sidemen were mediocre, he was implying just Jeff's was. Numerous other people in this thread know these guys personally and have said the sidemen are great.

And if people hear JG's record and think "this is what jazz is", who cares?

A lot of people on this forum.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

And if people hear JG's record and think "this is what jazz is", who cares?

Just for starters, The Jazz musicians - from all tiers - local, big name, no name- out there playing original compositions, Jazz tunes or Standards in a club for $50 to whatever, who are trying to get people to come out and hear their music.

The Artists and promoters for an event like this.

https://www.laphil.com/events/performances/298/2019-03-23/oscar-with-love/

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Saying that "he's automatically catapulted to the top of the jazz charts and press for what is really some very very mediocre playing" is insulting to the other musicians in his band.

I disagree. The quoted poster above didn't say that the sidemen were mediocre, he was implying just Jeff's was. Numerous other people in this thread know these guys personally and have said the sidemen are great.

In the FB video that Mitch posted on , that's the venerable Joe Bagg on organ/Nord. One of LA's finest.

https://www.facebook.com/siriusxm/videos/2200990266780783/UzpfSTU1MDcxMDgxMToxMDE1NTgzODk5MTA0NTgxMg/

The good-- he's providing employment for good players. I hear he's a nice guy and generous. It is what it is - "Hollywood", a gig. You can always say, no. I've done much worse in my life.

The thing that is frustrating for folks like me that have been in the trenches for over 20 years is that due to his acting success, he's automatically catapulted to the top of the jazz charts and press for what is really some very very mediocre playing. There are many other extremely hard-working and gifted musicians out there that are struggling.

When you add another 20 or 30 years to Jim's number, the frustration is compounded. And yeah no one ever said the music biz is fair. But for a certain specialized, small group of people , yes we do see this scenario through a different lens. Put in 30-40-50 years of very serious, dedicated practice and gigs on your instrument, then let me know how you feel about this guy being known as a legit "Jazz Artist". ;)

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Guess I just see things differently.

I enjoy anyone bringing music into the spotlight, especially Jazz or Classical.

Theres a good chance he could bring more people into listening to Jazz.

Look at the bright side.

This entire critiquing of somebody elses success reminds me of an uninvited guest being shunned at the Musicians Country Club,

Perhaps hell get bad reviews and terrible sales.

What a relief for the offended.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Interesting points. I tend to side with hardware's argument, I think the net impact is positive. I've seen somewhat similar arguments with Diana Krall ("Pretty face but weak jazz player..."). Also, aren't artists who explore classical-contemporary crossover styles committing similar travesties? I'm sure classical music purists throw plenty of vile comments to that music, while it seems they have brought renowned interest. HOWEVER...

When you add another 20 or 30 years to Jim's number, the frustration is compounded. And yeah no one ever said the music biz is fair. But for a certain specialized, small group of people , yes we do see this scenario through a different lens. Put in 30-40-50 years of very serious, dedicated practice and gigs on your instrument, then let me know how you feel about this guy being known as a legit "Jazz Artist". ;)

Nicely put. Yes, music is not my career, and the perspective for those who are in the music business, is very different. I have the luxury of giving an opinion from a comfy zone as someone not impacted by this. Dave Ferris', Jim Alfredson's and Bobadoshe's comments really opened up my eyes.

This comment however sums it up for me.

... But that's just the way it goes. Music is not a meritocracy. So keep on keepin' on, Goldblum and we will do the same.

Most careers are not meritocracies. Life isn't. You really have to focus on your own growth and making your mark, and certain individuals will get catapulted ahead of everyone else either by the lottery of birth or being in the spotlight for something unrelated to music.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Anything that brings jazz to people's attention is a good thing in my opinion. And Goldblum is giving work to talented musicians to boot.

Besides, he's playing music that is more actual jazz than whatever Kenny G. is spewing.

Win-win if you ask me.

Archived