Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are there any Military keyboardists on this forum

Rustar

Curious to know if there are any keyboardists currently serving or prior service in military bands who frequent the good 'ol KC.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, thanks. The reason I asked is that I was in an Army and an Air National Guard for 13 years with some very pro players, therefore I wonder if there are others out there.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Curious to know if there are any keyboardists currently serving or prior service in military bands who frequent the good 'ol KC.

I was in AF Field Bands for 21 yrs. Had a great time. I was stationed in Tx, Ca, Ill, twice in Hawaii, 3 yrs in Japan, toured Australia and finished my service at Langley AFB, Va. Retirement, Tricare For Life and Medicare have well worth the time spent in service.

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

I'm a Marine Corps veteran, but worked on Avionics, not music. Of course, now I'm a high school music teacher, so I'm proof that you can try to run away from your destiny but it'll find you eventually.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

It's interesting, because we have hired military people on guitar and drum roles over the years, in both my 80's tribute band (now defunct) and my jazz combo, but somehow never came across keyboardists in that role. Probably they're too busy, as are most keyboardists, as they are so rare and the gigs are flying off the shelves non-stop.

In our case, the main source is the air force base in Fairfield, about mid-way between Oakland and Sacramento. They have one of the top bands, and even hire civilians now and then to flesh out missing parts. It's great on the resume, and some orchestral conductors even get their start there.

Bear in mind that there may be clauses that prevent those in military roles from participating in social media, so we may never see them here.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It's interesting, because we have hired military people on guitar and drum roles over the years, in both my 80's tribute band (now defunct) and my jazz combo, but somehow never came across keyboardists in that role. Probably they're too busy, as are most keyboardists, as they are so rare and the gigs are flying off the shelves non-stop.

In our case, the main source is the air force base in Fairfield, about mid-way between Oakland and Sacramento. They have one of the top bands, and even hire civilians now and then to flesh out missing parts. It's great on the resume, and some orchestral conductors even get their start there.

Bear in mind that there may be clauses that prevent those in military roles from participating in social media, so we may never see them here.

That would the AF Band of the Golden West at Travis AFB.

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

Never been in the military but get to see the Australian Army Melbourne Rock band, The Rising Sons, for 4 days each year at the Melbourne GP.

Killer musicians and each year they have latest newly released gear.

I think any one with a military band experience would be at the top of their game.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I was in AF Field Bands for 21 yrs. Had a great time. I was stationed in Tx, Ca, Ill, twice in Hawaii, 3 yrs in Japan, toured Australia and finished my service at Langley AFB, Va. Retirement, Tricare For Life and Medicare have well worth the time spent in service.

I'm feeling the retirement joy as well. Stayed in for 20 years and a wake-up. Went to Norway, Dominican Republic, and all over the USA. The smartest move I ever made was staying in.

I retired from Langley AFB after 20 years. This was in 99, I wasn't in the AF band but I did a 'Tops in Blue' tour in the 80's. While stationed in Germany I played in an MWR band for the Army that did a show using soldiers. It was called a "Rock in Roll Remembrance" basically it was soldiers dressed like their favorite performers, be it Stevie Wonder, Jim Morrison , Janis Joplin, Ritchie Valens etc. We would work with them put them in costume and our band played to their singing. Every other month we auditioned for new performers. Kind of like Karaoke except with costumes and a live band. I did that until the Gulf War, then I deployed. But after the war during a deployment to Kuwait I did a similar thing at Camp Doha while I was deployed there.

The one thing I always say about my Air Force career is I got everything out of it that I put into it and then some. I wouldn't be working for NASA now had I not used the educational benefits while was in. And that retirement check covers my mortgage.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

• 3 months later...

I was a member of the 530th AF Band in the Georgia Air National guard for 10 years and in an Army NG band for three years. We traveled regionally and overseas. I played in all of the ensembles, and played percussion in the concert and marching bands. I retired with twenty years. I'm so glad I stayed for 20.

Probably not the type of 'military musician' that the OP had in mind, but like all Italians of my generation, I had to serve 12 months in the army, and I spent about half of that time playing in a band. My bandmates were excellent musicians and I wrote about 90 charts for them, as the lineup was changing constantly (with a minimum of three horns), plus there was always demand for new and fresh tunes. To give you an idea, we opened our gigs with "Birdland" or "Rockin' Rhythm", the Weather Report version.

We toured Officiers' Clubs in most central Italy, and we were exposed to some of the high ranks' inner circles... and guaranteed, we found ourselves in a few surreal situations, like playing on a *tank* - probably, the single most embarassing moment of my entire life.

On the positive side, they bought an Hammond organ for me! It was a portabilized L100, and at the end of the service period I tried every trick in the world to take it away from there, and into my home... but to no avail. :D

I was an F-16 pilot for 24 years. I played guitar mostly those days though. While I was never in an official military band I did a bunch of overseas gigs at O or E clubs (back when they had those). Did a couple of MWR shows, opened for the Gary Sinise band a couple of times.

Met my Canadian wife at a shithole bar in South Korea when I was gigging mid 90's alternative.

The military is a great way to meet musicians actually. I've been tangentially involved with these guys since I got out if this interests any of you:

https://operationencore.org/

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I was an F-16 pilot .................. ............... ............. .................. ..................... ................... ...........................

Sorry, I couldn't concentrate on anything after this! :)

So Cool! If I missed what I was supposed to do in life, this was it!!

I did my military service in the aircraft carrier Foch and we had a rock band that was playing any time we were not at sea.....in 1986-87

And I was playing with the officers mess band in Cold Lake Alberta for 3 years while I was a Store manager for Sportchek.....In 2013-2016....

And that's it....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

OK maybe not exactly keyboard-related but this thread made me go back to this video of the Army's "Jazz Ambassadors" with a certain now-fairly-well-known guy on drums. A few posts down in the comments someone lists the other players and mentions that it may be Tom Garvin (old Tonight Show band) on piano. LOTS of future pro musicians here (if they weren't already when they joined up!).

[video:youtube]

Archived