Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roy Clark

DocPate

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard the news last night while fixing dinner. Started me thinking how long it's been since first hearing OF him.

He used to show up on variety TV shows as a comic act. Mugging for the camera while playing some otherwise fantastic guitar licks. Using different runs for comic effect. When you think about it, that took some level of genius. Usually when musicians try to be funny, they do it by pretending NOT to be able to play that well. ;)

I've heard Roy often introduced as, "The CLOWN PRINCE of guitar....!" :)

In the last couple of minutes of this vid, he does his familiat "Tiger Rag" bit....

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Rest in Peace Roy Clark...I heard the news last night but I was too sad to write anything. Roy was one of my favorite guitar players when I was 13 years old and he really inspired me to play the guitar with his version of Honky Tonk. When I was 15 a buddy gave me one of his albums with Honky Tonk on it so that I could learn to play it better by copying his licks. Well try as I may, I never could copy his licks, but he sure gave me ideas on how the tune was supposed to be played. I forget the title so I'll paraphrase Roy Clark Stringing the Blues. One of his 1st albums. Every tune on it was great and I truly admired him as a guitar player. Later in life I discovered he was a great player of other stringed instruments and played them all on stage and on Hee Haw! He will be missed but never forgotten by all of his admirers...
Take care, Larryz

Rest in Peace Roy Clark...I heard the news last night but I was too sad to write anything.

The same thing happened to me when I heard that Roy Buchanan hanged himself in jail. That bummed me out big time....... Him and John Lennon, that one bummed me out as well.

I pretty much gave up on caring deeply about my favorite rock and movie stars as if I knew them. I do like some artists, but I do not seem to grieve like I did for the rich and famous like I did before Roy Buchanan's death. That was the last one that I let touch me deeply inside. I do not like sorrow a single bit, so I avoid it like the plague. Fortunately most all of my close knit blood relatives are still living, but if something happens to any of them I am in for a bit of sorrow, that's for sure.

That version of "Mal Iguana" :facepalm: from A Couple Oddies that antimatter posted is cool!

Lotta skill under that, esp the percussive, uh, thrumping, I believe is the technical term, starting @2:15. :rawk:

WFang mentioned his penchant for comedy.

Could w/call him the Victor Borge of the geetar ?

(BTW, WF, that code is [video:youtube] )

Per DBM & LarZ, yes it's sad when we lose a friend/hero but the point is what they did for us while here---&, by extension, what we might do too, if we step up to the platter.

Yeah, I'm talking to you...as well as myself.

Cat started as a teen, took some time off to try pro boxing :freak: before switching back to music.

Joined Grandpa Jones's band in late 1940s.

They mighta sounded something like this.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVgReVv_B80

Next he joined COUNTRY STYLE, a Washington-regional program.[disclaimer this is from a later era but dig the jazziness !]

[video:youtube]

Following stint's w/George Hamilton IV & country-rockin' firecracker Wanda Jackson. This might be RC.

This is the oldest verifiable Clark track I could find on YT.

1958 single / you can almost recognise his vox

Here's his 1st Top 10 hit

We now enter what we'll call The Roy Clark You Never Knew Land

Not sure who played the slide gtr but his nuanced vox are simply terrific.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJXo_P6-g_0

Here's a track you might not associate w/RC but chk it out & prepare to be surprised---the line starting at 1:23 is simply stunning but the track's full of them !

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80IuhUXDbdQ

Here's another track that may surprise.

Just a buncha cats passin' the plate. :rawk:

Dig 3:05 ~> when Roy hits some Lowell George playing above the fretboard territory ! :cool:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5d8KtpIoEQ

So now maybe something like this is happening.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4MUK9hEQ3w

:wave:

d=halfnote

Per DBM & LarZ, yes it's sad when we lose a friend/hero but the point is what they did for us while here---&, by extension, what we might do too, if we step up to the platter.

Yeah, I'm talking to you...as well as myself.

I am definitely happy to have had those media hero's especially the guitar players and other musicians that I admired so deeply back in the day. I learned a lot from them because I copied their feeling as best as I could.

Roy Buchanan was the only guy that I ever tried to learn his licks, his style, and his intensity. I never got even near what he did, but he improved what I do by leaps and bounds, and continues to improve what I do to this day. He was my biggest influence on electric guitar leads. Just an amazing player. I believe he was a tortured soul and his playing was his level keeping method until that fateful night in jail when he hung himself. To this day I admire what he did for the most part, and even though my musical journey took me elsewhere, I am grateful that I was privileged enough to see him live on his first national tour. I did see him again later on but that intensity was gone, that evening, probably from being tired of touring, he did not have a bad note that second show, just not as intense in feel.

Many of my guitar heroes have passed on to the spirit world. They all go back to the same era as Merle Travis, Roy Clark, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Scotty Moore, George Harrison, Glenn Campbell, and on and on and many that are still with us like James Burton and Tommy Emmanuel. I think my biggest influence comes from Scotty Moore...I have stepped up to the platter, but it's starting to spin away from me both physically and mentally. I let go of trying to be in the league of the players named above long ago. But they all inspired me to keep playing as long as I can...Thanks Roy!
Take care, Larryz

For those who think they can never reach the level of their heroes, think again.

Where'd'ya think the new heroes come from ?

Ya don't need to be equal to them; you only need to be the best you that you can be...that will make you something diff from what they were.

:thu:

[DBM, you best chk yer PMs ! :D ]

d=halfnote

Two days before he died, I was watching a TV program (The Joey & Rory Show), which prompted me to Google him. I then told my wife I did not realize he was still alive. Ironic and sad.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Archived