Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One. The Polyphonic.

Quote: "For the time being, I guess it´s a "chipsynth" like Memorymoog, now using the re-issues of CEM 3340, 3360 and 3310"

Why do you say that? You don't think it's an all discrete synth? The Memory Moog was a "chip synth" as well? Sorry for asking, I started to be into "synths" with the Prophet 5 but was only able to buy a Yamaha CS15....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on functionality and sound,- and in my age I want less gear doing more work instead collecting gear needing more and more care.

That's pretty much where I'm at, other than the needing more care part, since I am selling off newer things. If it can kinda sorta replace a few other boards for my needs, it is essentially a trade, maybe with a small cash outlay. I'm trying not to sell anything vintage, rare, difficult to replace, or fundamental to my existence. :)

On the other hand, I spent a couple of hours playing my OB-6 through an Eventide H9 box last night, and I'd be reluctant to part with that combo anytime soon.

All this obsession from someone who is primarily a piano/organ player. :)

Agreed on oldies if they work well, you have a sort of synth history with them....

And agreed too, I don't have an OB6 (yet....the module is really cheap compared to the Moog One...) but it's after my P08 and I love how they glue together....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

All of the sudden, my gear lust for the Prophet X has been put on pause. They are totally different machines with different goals, yes.

My metric is pretty much like deciding on a sports car -- which would give me the most fun for the longest period of time?

So funny!!! When I saw the announcement I was just thinking " I know one guy who might think twice about buying his Prophet X planned for a while..."

Quote: "For the time being, I guess it´s a "chipsynth" like Memorymoog, now using the re-issues of CEM 3340, 3360 and 3310"

Why do you say that? You don't think it's an all discrete synth? The Memory Moog was a "chip synth" as well?

Have in mind that was one of my early posts in regards of the MOOG One.

Yes, I guessed it is a "chipsynth" because the Memorymoog already was (CEM 3320, 3340, 3360 OSCs, VCFs & VCAs) and because the reissues of these chipsbecame available for the market this year.

So, for me it was obvious.

Up to now there´s no public info about which components are used for the analog signal path, but meanwhile,- and also because other´s in the forum came up w/ insinuation already,- I got the impression MOOG One is a different synth design than the Memorymoog was.

Now we´ve read about 14.000 + components and up to 16 voicecards, which leaves room for more speculation.

In fact, for it´s price I hope it´s not a "chipsynth" throughout.

A.C.

The questionnaire Gordon Reid referred to in the article was sent to me in early May, 2013 as a spreadsheet. Thought you might enjoy seeing it.

How close was I? :)

Very close,- congrats !

Do you get a "ONE" for free now ?

:cool:

A.C.

Eventide reverbs will not suck either. :love:

I miss a Flanger in the FX list.

... chorus, delay, phase, bit reduction, vocoding, and a suite of premium

Eventide reverbs such as Blackhole, Shimmer, Plate, Room, and Hall.

Effects can be applied as Synth Effects and Master Bus Effects.

Synth Effects are applied to individual timbral layers, while Master Bus Effects can be accessed via sends from all three synthesizers. The effects are digital,...

A.C.

I like Eventide - own an H9 Max myself.

But there are great 3rd-party analog effects units like the Chase Bliss Spectre so for some customers, another polysynth model without built-in effects might be a better solution - price would probably be lower too.

... there are great 3rd-party analog effects units like the Chase Bliss Spectre so for some customers, another polysynth model without built-in effects might be a better solution - price would probably be lower too.

That´s what I have anyway.

For me it´s all about getting more and more high quality devices from a single unit instrument.

I don´t mean a workstation like Kronos doing everything though.

So, I hope there´s a quality flanger and a good tape delay emulation coming w/ MOOG One and when it´s been released.

Seems there´s a bit time left until it ships,- and probably for digital FX, there´s the option of software/firmware update.

Eventide ... big name, great brand.

But I don´t use much Reverb on keyboards anyway and especially when gigging/touring live, Delay and Modulation FX were more important always.

So, I´d wish the FX were a combo of Eventide ModFactor and TimeFactor.

A.C.

Yes, I know for sure that both the OB-8 and Prophet 5 allow you to manually turn-off voices so you can actually play a unison, one-voice patch.

I don't think the early rev P5 had that option

I have Rev 3.3

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

I miss a Flanger in the FX list.

It does include the building blocks for flangers - delays and chorus.

2.)

Are the ENVs snappy and offer "vintage-type" segment-shapes,- or are they lame linear modifiers ?

EDIT:

In the other article I read: "the character of each of these envelopes can be molded by per-stage envelope curves"

Good news !

Hell yeah. There are an under appreciated feature on the Andromeda. The control law relationship between EG and VCA is different between legacy synths such as Moog and Oberheim, and is a key to their sounds. Having different curves is great for emulating traditional instruments too.

3.)

Is it possible setting LFOs and ENVs to "freerun" or do they start (LFOs: at whatever user selectable phasing) w/ every key pressed ?

Moog has offered both it in several products for a long time. Hard to fathom they would omit that one, since it is software.

And 5.)

What´s the overall update cycle for the digital modifiers ?

5ms, 10ms, 20ms ???

Fast S&H updates have been around since the Rhodes Chroma, which also has software LFOs and EGs. Fast S&H updates are the key to making software LFOs and EGs a reality.

So, I hope there´s a quality flanger and a good tape delay emulation coming w/ MOOG One and when it´s been released.

That's what the FX in/out loops per timbre are for.

Very relieved they selected Eventide over Lexicon.

But I don´t use much Reverb on keyboards anyway and especially when gigging/touring live, Delay and Modulation FX were more important always.

A good short room ambience can work very well. Eventide does that very well, at least in my 2016 digital reverb. Short room ambience seems to be an FX that many digital reverbs do not pull off well. Once you've heard a Eventide 2016 or legacy Lexicon, you'll understand. The only time I use reverbs with RT60 tails ~1sec is plate reverbs with brass sounds.

I've been a happy Andromeda owner, but it only offers one digital FX at a time. The Moog One offers independent digital FX per timbre.

I'm saving $$$ for a 16 voice now. This thing is a beast.

... there are great 3rd-party analog effects units like the Chase Bliss Spectre so for some customers, another polysynth model without built-in effects might be a better solution - price would probably be lower too.

That´s what I have anyway.

For me it´s all about getting more and more high quality devices from a single unit instrument.

I don´t mean a workstation like Kronos doing everything though.

Seems there´s a bit time left until it ships,- and probably for digital FX, there´s the option of software/firmware update.

So, I´d wish the FX were a combo of Eventide ModFactor and TimeFactor.

A.C.

Cool, I get why you would want FX integrated with the synth.

I will wait for a future model which doesn't have the built-in Eventide, as I am used to having multiple effects pedals. Chase Bliss makes some incredible sounding modulation effects pedals - analog signal path with sophisticated digital control.

Erica's Fusion Delay/Flanger/Vintage Ensemble also looks promising.

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorack-modules/by-series/fusion-series/fusion-delayflangervintage-ensemble/

Also their Fusion Box

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/standalone-instruments-1/fusion-box/

The first day, I was ready to sell my Model-D to fund this. Then I thought, but what if it doesn't replace it, but does something different?

That's kinda what I am hoping. For me (and I have seen this opinion stated elsewhere) a truly polyphonic Minimoog D would be just too much, and admittedly that is the one thing that I didn't like about the Memorymoog- it was just too powerful. If the Moog One approximates a Memorymoog but can also be more versatile sonically (while still retaining that Analog/Moog magic*) then this would be one absolutely awesome synth.

* By magic, I mean the Reissue D can play very satisfyingly "fat" sounds when using only one oscillator. I have never been a fan of the "massive unison mode," on a polysynth, and probably wouldn't pursue it on a Moog One. I am hoping that the Moog One will have that "weight" to its sound, similar to what I have heard in an Andromeda, but even moreso in a Studioelectronics Omega.

Sweetwater is posting 2 different 8-voice models:

"MoogOne8LSN" $6,499.00 and "MoogOne8" $5,999.

Anyone know what the differences are?

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

I wonder how integrated the effects are with the mod matrix and mod sources (lfos and adsrs). If the effects are simply slapped on the end of the signal chain and respond to cc's and the like .... I could see why many would want to wait for a stripped down little brother.

I guess, even if the effects are fully integrated, it hasn't been a huge aspect of synthesis so far, barring the use processors like Eventide Orville, TC Fireworx, etc. :idk

I wonder how integrated the effects are with the mod matrix and mod sources (lfos and adsrs). If the effects are simply slapped on the end of the signal chain and respond to cc's and the like .... I could see why many would want to wait for a stripped down little brother.

I guess, even if the effects are fully integrated, it hasn't been a huge aspect of synthesis so far, barring the use processors like Eventide Orville, TC Fireworx, etc. :idk

The Octatrack, while not a synth, is the one device I have where the effects are tightly integrated with the sampling engine and sequencer, so that tricks like parameter locks (p-locks in Elekron parlance) wherein you have a specific combination of effects settings for just one step of a step sequence; are possible.

There is a good selection of CV-modulatable effects units that could be patched with the One via the CV jacks for synthesis<->effects integration if desired - especially in the modular world.

I called them and yes, the 8-voice Moog One will cost $500 extra for a "low serial number." That's it!

My only response is:

ehl86.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

The wife said yes. I'm beyond excited.

Congrats Ken! :cheers:

I've got a couple of kids in college, so in order to avoid a fate worse than death I am not even going to mention it. At the end of four years, though, hmmh .... :D

The Octatrack, while not a synth, is the one device I have where the effects are tightly integrated with the sampling engine and sequencer, so that tricks like parameter locks (p-locks in Elekron parlance) wherein you have a specific combination of effects settings for just one step of a step sequence; are possible.

That sounds very cool, and seems to be the direction a lot of ITB music (ableton, etc) is going. You'd rather perform it of course. :thu:

There is a good selection of CV-modulatable effects units that could be patched with the One via the CV jacks for synthesis<->effects integration if desired - especially in the modular world.

That would really nice. You would be somebody who could really take advantage of that type of possibility. :cheers:

For me (and I have seen this opinion stated elsewhere) a truly polyphonic Minimoog D would be just too much, and admittedly that is the one thing that I didn't like about the Memorymoog- it was just too powerful.

Same here !

If the Moog One approximates a Memorymoog but can also be more versatile sonically (while still retaining that Analog/Moog magic*) then this would be one absolutely awesome synth.

I appreciate it looks somewhat like a Memorymoog,- but OTOH, I never wanted a Memorymoog because of it´s unreliability and all what you mentioned above in addition.

For me, the LAMM came too late ´cause I was covered w/ (analog) polysynths for all purposes already, especially those using the CEM chips,- Sequential Circuits, Oberheim & Roland.

Meanwhile, I sold most of these toys many years ago.

The only analog chipsynth I still own is the Oberheim Xpander which is because of it´s modulation capability, the multi-patch mode, CV/gate inputs for each voice and the Oberheim poly-portamento modes.

I sold the OB-8 after I had both, the OB-8 and Xpander, side-by-side for weeks.

It was possible manually transfering my most important patches over from OB-8 to Xpander,- minor compromizes included,- but I never heard any complains from producers when working in studios almost all day at that time.

Today´s analog synth enthusiasts,- we find in all audio- and synth forums,- might be irritated by that decision because the OB-8 has a better tone, but I never recognized anyone had a hit or successfull recording released because of a single synth´s better (or fatter) tone ... so what ?

So, I really hope the MOOG One is NOT a Memorymoog rev2.

I wish it behaves different when using it polyphonic, but I also hope for the possibility dialing in a Minimoog tone quality when using (a part of) it monophonic.

What costs 8K bucks in the US typically costs more than 9K EUR in europe.

So, for that price, I expect that happens or I pass.

Before I dump about 10K incl. case and accessories,- I´m very picky.

I´m talking about the 16 voice version, because WHEN it´s great, I want it ALL.

But there´s also another piece of gear I hope for it´s appearence,-

John Bowen Solaris 1HU "black-box" expander w/ software editor for about 2K EUR (plus VAT).

So, until I´m ready to spend lots of money for a modern MOOG polysynth, I want to be sure it sounds excellent and even better than competitors emulating that sound, works perfect and offers most excellent build quality and reliability.

* By magic, I mean the Reissue D can play very satisfyingly "fat" sounds when using only one oscillator.

Which is what the vintage Minimoog D does too,- and for me, that´s the leveling rule when it comes to monophonic synths.

You simply don´t want phase cancelation of 2 OSCs drifting even when set to "narrow" tuning and when playing synth bass.

But you want a fat tone w/ only a single OSC,- and that´s what the Minimoog D as also the Taurus I (1 / One) pedal (this in a different way) delivered.

It´s what made these synths iconic,- even their feature set is spartan.

I have never been a fan of the "massive unison mode," on a polysynth ...

I don´t need it and there are ultra-rare cases I liked it´s use.

I´d never buy a polysynth for stacking 18 OSCs (Memorymoog), 24 or 48 OCSc (Moog One) and detune.

A.C.

Ask all of the early Voyager purchasers...

I am an early Voyager customer. I have the SE edition. Shortly before they rolled off the assembly line, I committed to buy one new when they were $2999.

Then they raised the price to $3499.

Just my luck - I got a low serial number for less money.

Difference? Just the black square on the panel with Bob's John Hancock...

After all the excitement I had last night, I "just realized" I already have a lot of polysynths....D50, Prophet 08, Prophet 12...But I have always wanted the Moog Sound so, I might buy a Moog Meeting Minitaur....Same price, just with one "0" less....

Ask all of the early Voyager purchasers...

I am an early Voyager customer. I have the SE edition. Shortly before they rolled off the assembly line, I committed to buy one new when they were $2999.

Just my luck - I got a low serial number for less money.

That was my experience as well. But we pre-ordered in November of 2001 when it was a Big Briar instrument and took delivery of a Moog in October of '02. I figure the "discount" was for patience.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I got mine for half that price (used) without the signature, wish it had the signature, but I don't collect autographs. They sound the same.

:nopity:

I got mine for half that price (used) without the signature, wish it had the signature, but I don't collect autographs. They sound the same.

You guys reminded me that I had no intention of buying a Voyager until I finally tried one at the tail end of the SE offering and just had to have it. This was just a few months after buying my Andromeda. I have no plans to buys a One but like the Voyager it would have to sound different enough from my other Moogs and still sound frightastically good for me to cave.

Btw the first of the Voyagers i.e. Signature Edition (SE) was offered in 3 hardwoods and also has the gold plate off to the right side. It also came with a signed certificate, Little lite lamp and soft case which I'm sure the mice continue to enjoy. The OS was bare bones at release in 2003 and continued to be updated by Rudi Linhard - my last feature request implemented just last year :cool: .