Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One. The Polyphonic.

Good point. It's ok not to know. Although I have no plans to purchase, if it sounds a certain way and is convenient for live performance (I am ok with the 45 lbs plus carrying case) it could change my plans. One of the things I will be listening for is "breathing" oscillators. I am not a fan of the sub series oscillators , despite the convenience of the beat frequency feature. The included effects in the Moog One are a big plus for me.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think dB kind of brought it home with his Matrix Brute conclusion: Paraphrasing (because I can't find that thread :idk ) while the Matrix Brute sounds fantastic and is capable of extremes in sound programming, the Minimoog adequately provides sounds that serve the song just as well. So for me as a consummate sound explorer the One would have to bring something really different, not just another shade of Mooginess which we'll continue to argue about and rationalize forever. What appears to be the big appeal of the One is consolidating all that is Moog along with a full featured control surface into one convenient and versatile analog synth. Of course the jury's still out until we actually hear this thing :idea: .

Yep, Mark I couldn't find that thread either. Great point about whether the device adds value which you can't get elsewhere in your rig. :thu:

Also if you are playing live, a decent case/stand becomes a factor. I would guess that a poly-synth with a strong mono-synth voice is going to be more of a utility player, and is more likely to earn it's keep than a semimodular-ish mono/para synth.

For me, the gold standard is the B3. If a polysynth gets closer to doing your full range of sounds, and easy ways to get from one sweet-spot to another in real time ... then it becomes compelling as a foundation of a rig.

Then they raised the price to $3499.

Difference? Just the black square on the panel with Bob's John Hancock...

I got mine for half that price (used) without the signature, wish it had the signature, but I don't collect autographs. They sound the same.

I'm not the starstruck type and don't collect autographs either. I just wanted one of those Voyagers. And they do sound the same.

Probably the one benefit of an early adopter... later circuit boards have NO sockets for the ICs. Mine has sockets and is easy to service (and has yet to need a repair).

Then they raised the price to $3499.

Difference? Just the black square on the panel with Bob's John Hancock...

I got mine for half that price (used) without the signature, wish it had the signature, but I don't collect autographs. They sound the same.

You guys reminded me that I had no intention of buying a Voyager until I finally tried one at the tail end of the SE offering and just had to have it. This was just a few months after buying my Andromeda. I have no plans to buys a One but like the Voyager it would have to sound different enough from my other Moogs and still sound frightastically good for me to cave.

Btw the first of the Voyagers i.e. Signature Edition (SE) was offered in 3 hardwoods and also has the gold plate off to the right side. It also came with a signed certificate, Little lite lamp and soft case which I'm sure the mice continue to enjoy. The OS was bare bones at release in 2003 and continued to be updated by Rudi Linhard - my last feature request implemented just last year :cool: .

Andromeda is a great synth but it lacks the power of a good monosynth like Minimoog.

I don't usually get excited over built-in FX. I prefer outboard, more flexible and sounds better to my ears.

Moog One is the first synth to include Eventide FX. As an owner of (3) Eventide 2016s (!), Lexicon model 200, and some Lexicon PCM60s that's a big appeal in my book. I just hope it isn't a "crippled" Eventide like Lexicon did for mixers.

I'm not the starstruck type and don't collect autographs either. I just wanted one of those Voyagers. And they do sound the same.

Michael and Mark (and everyone else), after re reading my post I apologize if it came off as snarky. Wasn't my intention.

:nopity:

Michael and Mark (and everyone else), after re reading my post I apologize if it came off as snarky. Wasn't my intention.

Well OK...I guess. Do you want to buy my Bob Moog signed certificate for say $7999?

I don't usually get excited over built-in FX. I prefer outboard, more flexible and sounds better to my ears.

Moog One is the first synth to include Eventide FX. As an owner of (3) Eventide 2016s (!), Lexicon model 200, and some Lexicon PCM60s that's a big appeal in my book. I just hope it isn't a "crippled" Eventide like Lexicon did for mixers.

I run my Reissue thru an Eventide H9, and it sounds glorious. If there is some crippling of the Eventide effects in the One, I would go ahead and get another H9 and it will be more than taken care of.

Regarding Voyager- had one for a decade, never bonded with it. Still extremely happy with the Reissue, going on 2 years now. BUT, I don't want the One to be a polyphonic Minimoog, that would be too much. Having more of the versatility a la the Voyager would work well in a polyphonic situation. The one downside of being an early adopter of a Voyager was Moog instituted several significant hardware upgrades; if you had an early one you would have had to send it back to Asheville at considerable expense to bring it up to par with the later machines.

The one downside of being an early adopter of a Voyager was Moog instituted several significant hardware upgrades; if you had an early one you would have had to send it back to Asheville at considerable expense to bring it up to par with the later machines.

I believe the major upgrades were quite some time after the initial release - maybe 2 years or so latter :idk . I love when manufacturers offer upgrades to bring older version synths up to date. The cost is almost always insignificant compared to selling and upgrading to a brand new board. The one way $45 shipping(at the time) was a no- brainer; Moog ships it back at their expense.

For those fortunate enough to buy a One early on I would hope Moog always offers the ability to upgrade it to the latest hardware version. Shipping cost would not be my biggest concern having spent 6-8k on the synth.

Never interpreted it that way.

The one downside of being an early adopter of a Voyager was Moog instituted several significant hardware upgrades; if you had an early one you would have had to send it back to Asheville at considerable expense to bring it up to par with the later machines.

That's going to be the norm of most hardware synths.

My Voyager has all the upgrades. While on vacation a couple of times I swung by Asheville to have them done. I helped them with one upgrade - filter glide.

The slew rate upgrade brought the Voyager closer to the Minimoog - I really like it.

The slew rate upgrade brought the Voyager closer to the Minimoog - I really like it.

had it done to my Voyager a few months ago and agree. :2thu:

Same here. Subsequent to that, (no Moog pun intended) I discovered the joy of putting an Xotic EP Booster pedal in the pre-filter insert. The combination of those 2 things made me fall in love with my Voyager in a way I never had. That is why I am so reluctant to sell it from my Moog One fund.

I had read about someone putting an exciter pedal in the loop. I tried it with this because I already owned it. Gives the Filter(s) more to work with. Highly recommended and it lives there permanently now.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I have to admit that I've had my Voyager RME for over six months and have only begun to scratch the surface. Part of the problem is lack of time--haven't done any music at all in several weeks--but a lot of it is that the machine is like having an entire lake when all you need is a cup of water. It's a pretty deep resource to draw from.

The One is likely to be worse.

Doesn't stop me from wanting one.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I had read about someone putting an exciter pedal in the loop. I tried it with this because I already owned it. Gives the Filter(s) more to work with. Highly recommended and it lives there permanently now.

The Murf is pretty effective in the loop too.

Product page is up on the Moog site: Moog One

Includes video and audio demos. :cool:

hmmm audio demos arent all that fat sounding

My take is that these are artist demos, not necessarily designed to show off the raw oscillator tones and to show how much the walls can be rattled. I am sure there are more technical demos to follow that will do just that. If not, I will make one in a few weeks. :)

I also question in general how fat one would want a poly to sound. I guess in this case, being multitimbral the answer would be VERY, since you'd want to be able to have a bass line pumping and do other stuff over top.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard