Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using the Griffin Double keyboard stand?

I'm on a search for a double keyboard stand for some upcoming shows that lets you keep the top keyboard close as possible to the bottom- playing seated. I hate X stands- they always seem to make the distance between the top and bottom levels too high and never been fond of the the look. I've used some great 2 tier Z stands but they take too much time to setup. I have an Ultimate Support V-stand that looks great- but it's 2nd tier makes me nervous with dainty connectors and a heavier keyboard on top. Also have my trusty Apex column used for standing gigs, but alway feels weird using it sitting down. First world problems, I know.

Saw this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004THB8OW/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_bXEHm7_cr_x__w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=81PVMYA20SA5ABGZZ4AR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=c889d048-0eaf-5f4b-a43b-6b31076adc94&pf_rd_i=491024011

Looks like it might fit the bill. Figured I'd roll the dice, since it can be returned. Was hoping someone might share thier experience with it.? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on it, or anything else you might recommend!! In the process of having an upright shell built, but won't be ready for first leg of shows. ( Yamaha p255 on bottom, and Nord NE3 stage on top). Thanks!

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have that stand. PITA to carry around and always a bit side-to-side wobbly without a lot of weight on it. Plus, it wasn't very practical for one board, since there wasn't a logical (stable) place to set the back legs. Maybe it's gotten better since then, I don't know. I do not remember selling it, so I am guessing I gave it away with a board at some point...?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Chris, are you completely taking part a Z-Stand after a show?

I have the two tier Z from Onstage, and it takes me no time at all to set up when I load in.

The only thing I remove after show is the upper tier. That's just the two knobs.

Then I simply fold the base, and away I go.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I have the two tier Z from Onstage

I'm thinking of ordering one, but for my spacing needs it looks like it would be better-- in terms of how far the legs stick out in front and how far the top sticks out in back-- to flip it around the "wrong" way. Is it possible to attach the second tier to the "front" of the stand so the whole thing can be flipped around, or does the second tier have to attach to the "back"?

Michael Rideout

I have the two tier Z from Onstage

I'm thinking of ordering one, but for my spacing needs it looks like it would be better-- in terms of how far the legs stick out in front and how far the top sticks out in back-- to flip it around the "wrong" way. Is it possible to attach the second tier to the "front" of the stand so the whole thing can be flipped around, or does the second tier have to attach to the "back"?

You can't. The large arms of the 2nd tier slide into the lower tier cross members. The pivot pins and locking mechanism get in the way.

4wV3BU.png

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Okay, that's good to know ahead of time. That's too bad, because turned around the right way the legs stick out more than I'd like in the front-- especially with the second tier attached and the stand having to be that much further from the wall. I'll probably get it, anyway, but I might have to rearrange my room again. :(
Michael Rideout

I also use that Z for almost every gig, and also feel it's too deep, particularly for one-board gigs. Some day someone will invent the perfect keyboard stand, which is another way of saying that I don't think anyone has yet.

www.joshweinstein.com

I also use that Z for almost every gig, and also feel it's too deep, particularly for one-board gigs. Some day someone will invent the perfect keyboard stand, which is another way of saying that I don't think anyone has yet.

Sure they have. ;)

http://www.mesonline.com/images/working_images/invisible_kb2_mes/kb2_full_01A.jpg

:2thu:

Sure they have. ;)

:2thu:

+1

Sven absolutely nailed it on this one! I used to use the original Invisible Stand for much of my career in the 80's, and for speed of setup, weight, keyboard spacing and stability, plus performance height for both standing and sitting, the Invisible stand rocks!!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I still have the invisible stand I bought a good 30 years ago. Its one weakness is lack of tilt control.

Shall we put together a consortium to resurrect it? I'd love to see it in Aluminum, premium Carbon Fiber, and Original Steel.

Oh, and let's get SKB to produce a flat hard case for it that doesn't cost more than the stand itself.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

David, thank you for the reply.. I had a very early model of the on-stage Z stand and that particular one did not fold down. I should perhaps give it another go-

I too foolishly gave away my Invisible stand!.... and also got rid of my A-frame stands too. Lesson learned: never get rid of anything!! :)

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

David, thank you for the reply.. I had a very early model of the on-stage Z stand and that particular one did not fold down. I should perhaps give it another go-

The onstage Z stand takes about three seconds to set up. Definitely worth another look if the last time you saw one it didn't fold down. However, as many will attest: the edges will scratch the crap out of your car.

www.joshweinstein.com

The onstage Z stand takes about three seconds to set up. Definitely worth another look if the last time you saw one it didn't fold down. However, as many will attest: the edges will scratch the crap out of your car.

I'd say that's true for any Z stand. But I love them. Just retired my old QuikLok Z-71alu, which was FANTASTIC, but now that I'm gigging with another board (and QuikLok fails to make the 2nd tier anymore for this stand), I got a K&M Spider Pro, and going with it. Already miss my Z-71Alu, but it's worth it. I'll still keep it around for small 1-board gigs. But yeah, the edges rip the hell out of car vinyl.

That said, ever met a musician who could afford a car worth fretting over? Maybe not such a bad thing.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I solved this issue in having always a truck to load my stands unfolded....All cables, connections and so on are attached to it...I use the Apex/Yorkville platform stand with two extra tiers that are super close to each other, I play seated too...and I put them like that in the truck, keys gig bags under the legs...

I don't own a truck but a lot of friends have here in Canada, my son has one, my daughter's boyfriend etc....So, count on friends instead of trying to find the best foldable stand, for me the best one is the one you never fold...

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

I'm on a search for a double keyboard stand for some upcoming shows that lets you keep the top keyboard close as possible to the bottom- playing seated. I hate X stands- they always seem to make the distance between the top and bottom levels too high and never been fond of the the look. I've used some great 2 tier Z stands but they take too much time to setup. I have an Ultimate Support V-stand that looks great- but it's 2nd tier makes me nervous with dainty connectors and a heavier keyboard on top. Also have my trusty Apex column used for standing gigs, but alway feels weird using it sitting down. First world problems, I know.

Saw this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004THB8OW/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_bXEHm7_cr_x__w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=81PVMYA20SA5ABGZZ4AR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=c889d048-0eaf-5f4b-a43b-6b31076adc94&pf_rd_i=491024011

Looks like it might fit the bill. Figured I'd roll the dice, since it can be returned. Was hoping someone might share thier experience with it.? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on it, or anything else you might recommend!! In the process of having an upright shell built, but won't be ready for first leg of shows. ( Yamaha p255 on bottom, and Nord NE3 stage on top). Thanks!

I use an On-Stage WS8550 stand that looks like this one. But I modified it somewhat. First to address the "wobble factor", I added a piece of steel flat bar diagonally across the back legs (removable with one wing nut). Also I made a second tier from some aluminum square bar shaped like an "F" lying on its side.

______

| |

The uprights are bolted to the back cross members that meet the legs. The second tier, of course, is not adjustable for height or angle. But not a problem unless my 6'2" height changes, I revise the rig it supports, or change my playing style. None of which is expected. And it allowed me to get the top board as close as possible to the bottom.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

When I was looking at Z-Stands, the Hercules looked best in terms of travel-friendliness.

I like the Invisible stands a lot. I usually use the later generation because it travels in one piece. The earlier ones have their advantages too.

The other stand that works for me is the K&M 18880. If you flip the 18881 stacker backwards, it is conceptually similar to the Invisible.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OBXA's original post had a link to a knock off of a WS550, not a Zstand.

Assuming I'm not hallucinating, I'll reply that that stand has been in my employ for ....over 25 years. I have the full 2nd tier assembly, but THAT is a pain in the ass. Years ago, I posted a $10 2nd tier solution that requires no setup after the initial install. That solution is basically a pair of threaded steel rods with a pair of wingnuts for each rod; insert the rod into the hole of the ws550, put a wingnut under the stand and one over the stand to set the height of your 2nd tier and lock it down. You'll also purchase a package of rubber feet (usually 4 in a pack, they're furniture/floor protectors) to slip over the top of the rod, and now you've got a permanent 2nd tier.

That stand is robust, heavy duty, and pretty useful for all but standing and playing.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• 2 years later...

Considering another stand and these Griffins kind of appealed to me. Made in USA maybe I hope. The one in the OP topic:

But kind of like this below one better, but out of stock. Contacted supply and they say will be in stock around May 2021. Anyone have this one? Need 33" width for organ pedals. Thoughts?

https://geekstands.com/products/2-tier-keyboard-stand

But kind of like this below one better, but out of stock. Contacted supply and they say will be in stock around May 2021. Anyone have this one? Need 33" width for organ pedals. Thoughts?

https://geekstands.com/products/2-tier-keyboard-stand

This is very similar:

stand: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18953-table-style-stage-piano-stand-black?c=171

2nd tier: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18952-stacker-black?c=171

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals