Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blues, as digested by a classical musician

Bobby Simons

She has also done similar episodes on funk and bossa nova.

I enjoyed her funk video. In fact, I almost posted about it here at the time it came out.

Heh, talk about dodging a bullet. ;)

Of course, it wasn't exactly funk; but it was enjoyable as a funk influenced composition. It actually reminded me a little of Gentle Giant.

Indeed.

I wish I could sit crosslegged on the floor and bang something out that sounded like Giant, on 37 keys no less. Which brings me back to my original comments. I've used many assorted mini key controllers in my Mainstage rigs. Usually relegated to third board, I'd use them for horn parts (easily reach those wide voicings), mellotron, solo synth stuff, even hammond patches. Rarely both-hands-busy playing like she seemed to naturally gravitate to. I should work on that, force myself to rethink some of my habits and inclinations.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heh, talk about dodging a bullet. ;)

LOL! I get it. It's never fun to get a negative reaction when you share something you enjoy.

Nonetheless, you have a right to enjoy it; and they have a right to their opinions as well. The silver lining of that disagreement is that we have a more interesting world with a variety of viewpoints.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

My viewpoint is that a flawed attempt at being derivative can often yield a more original result.

Nice.

The art teacher at my kids' school used to call this a "beautiful oops." I use that phrase all the time now.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to this thread. I watched the video, and while her analysis and process is interesting and I guess not for everybody, what I really liked was the jamming she did on the little keyboard. In my opinion, she oozes all kinds of soul. She played and composed with sensitivity and passion, wasn't afraid to hang with a good riff and repeat it over and over, almost like a mantra, love that shit.

I'm nobody and I don't know nothin'.. but seems to me a part of what makes some people great is their borne talent, and another part is proximity. I'll wager if you put this woman in a group of great soul players, she would completely hold her own and probably more. And over time, she would get better and better and maybe even push the conversation.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

It's interesting that a bunch of keyboard players of varying skill levels and backgrounds and musical tastes can see the same video and have such disparate opinions about it. I went back and watched the video again from start to finish, with the sound up so I could hear everything in detail. I don't get it. I can take the video on her terms, that's she's studied the blues form and composed her own little piece based on her studies. Maybe it's the dinky sound of the toy piano and if she played her piece on a real piano or on a full Rhodes or Wurly with good amplification, the piece would capture me more. As it is, though, I just don't hear much of anything there, especially anything bluesy. And the "swing" version does not swing for me. She's an appealing person on video and her concept is interesting and kind of fun. But I just don't see in it what some other people see ... or hear. I guess we have to leave it at chacun à son goût each to his own taste.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Since I started this discussion, I have a final thought. I don't know if anyone has considered this:

Nahre, like her friend and avid supporter Rick Beato (and many others to whom Ive looked to for knowledge) have monetized their youtube channels. They have built a subscriber base, and it is in their best interest to maintain a consistent rate of new episodes. I just heard a discussion on public radio on this very topic. Apparently, if you lapse, the money stops very quickly. The interviewee was saying that even for vacation of any length, you better have some new episodes in the can that you can put up while youre on that Caribbean beach. Rick Beato has such a busy stream of new material that I only get to half of them - if that. I look at the title and decide if its of interest, maybe Ill watch it later, perhaps not at all.

You will surely not like everything she, or anyone, does. I doubt anyone is getting rich with their YT income streams, but there is a responsibility to find topics interesting to enough subscribers to stay in the game. I think some of the piling on here may have been without the benefit of a wider view. The forest for the trees, and all that.

She has enormous talent with her technical skills, and I suspect her curiosity is genuine, but she doesn't "get" Blues" and probably never will. She reminds me of a scientist, explaining why the sky is blue, using everything there is to know about light waves, wave lengths, retinas, etc, but unable to relate to those who simply feel the overwhelming beauty of a blue sky that reaches out and grabs them in the gut.

It also doesn't help that she wears her out-sized opinion of herself on her sleeve.

I have not read all the comments... I am sure they are how I feel, this lady had much talent, a sweet disposition and lots of calm discipline. A benefit for all to pay attention to.

But as Nathan said, blues is a bit distant from her, I kind of agree, but she will keep trying, and maybe get closer to it.

Blues, for better or worse, is a natural part of me... but someone said words that made jazz and blues as separate things. I understand the separation, but also see them as one. Taking blues out of jazz, is for me, not the best thing. Jazz was BORN in Blues, for heaven sake. That is why I recommend Barry Harris, Gene Harris, Oscar as exemplars of this music we call jazz. So called jazz is just more harmonically advanced, but NOT musically advanced!

Ask yourselves, what's the difference between these musical icons

Bill Evans, and Barry harris, both love Bud Powell.. but Bill is closer to the Euro greats of the past... and Barry is closer to Blues.

Similar with George benson and Pat Metheny, two icons.

I suppose jazz is a broad spectrum that encompasses an infinite number of colors. And this beautiful lady is way over on the Euro side.

I have been listening to some of her other videos ... and enjoy them.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I think the point is, she never claims that now she is a blues pianist. This is her incorporating elements of the blues into her practice as a classical composer. She doesn't pretend to be a modern master at it, or to come for Otis Spann's crown. She's just using things she notices about it, to see if she can incorporate it into her practice. It's right there in the title of the video...

Vid is fun and she plays like a beast.

www.joshweinstein.com

SO you are here letting us- me- know what the point of video is eh?

I had no idear.

It's pretty obvious that she is a talented, disciplined , humble, energetic, positive force for music on the net. And that not only I, but she knows she is just expanding beyond her normal area of music expertise.

She has various videos on how to sound like iconic European master composers.

I hope more classical pianists do this.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Bossa Nova experiment from a very talented young improvising classical pianist/composer/keyboardist.

[video:youtube]

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

I think this is more her style of Improv and composition:

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

Ok, I'm gonna go practice now.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I don't get the appeal?

And what's with that dog? Why is it white, I don't understand that. And "Bobby"? Such a stoopid name for a pet, she must not really understand dogs.

Sorry, I just don't like her.

:mad:

And what's with people who post things they like, then get over-the-top snarky when other people have anything critical to say about it? What's that about? Is that some kind of mental illness or brain damage from drug abuse?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

And what's with people who post things they like, then get over-the-top snarky when other people have anything critical to say about it? What's that about? Is that some kind of mental illness or brain damage from drug abuse?

Wow. Are you always so humorless and angry? That was pretty rude, pal.

El Lobo

I was about to PM you, but I guess I will ask here.

Was my response to MOI, one of the causes of your last point about snarkiness?

We can continue in PM , or here, if you prefer, but I highly value your presence here.

It could have been worse, had she played that with her left hand. That would have been rubbing our noses in it.

I don't get the appeal?

I guess I like her amazing technique.. And her attitude... and her creativity in her exercises. When she plays those arpeggios and scales and so on... something about it speaks to me... not in the way Jimmy Smith has on occasion, or Jimi Hendrix, but in another way. Does that make any sense? Do you have technique anything close to what she has? I am not currently into technique , ( laziness likely cause ) but long ago, on saxophone, I was, so that technique speaks to me deeply. It is part of the endless journey towards the holy grail of complete Mastery in music.

It could have been worse, had she played that with her left hand. That would have been rubbing our noses in it.

I am kind of ignorant about technique on piano... For me Art Tatum is the pinnacle ..

Is this lovely woman pretty deadly in her technique in the right hand blazing licks deal?

Do you think she can play the same thing with her left hand ( her left was injured, so I mean when her left hand is healed ) ? My question reveals my ignorance of technique about the comparative ability of left and right hands.

I notice that you're from LI. I am from NY. I read your previous comment and laughed to myself. I believe El Lobo is from CA. Without knowing anything else at all, I can tell you, as a transplanted New Yorker, that sarcasm and teasing do NOT translate in CA, and people instead hear them as aggressive, angry, and demeaning.

I am guessing that what transpired above was not a flame war, but rather a culture clash.

www.joshweinstein.com

I notice that you're from LI. I am from NY. I read your previous comment and laughed to myself. I believe El Lobo is from CA. Without knowing anything else at all, I can tell you, as a transplanted New Yorker, that sarcasm and teasing do NOT translate in CA, and people instead hear them as aggressive, angry, and demeaning.

I am guessing that what transpired above was not a flame war, but rather a culture clash.

Hmm. I dunno. I thought I responded to Bobby's comment in the same vein - sarcasm and teasing. If my comment was angry, then Bobby's was the same. I thought Bobby's comment was kind of nasty as a way of making fun of people who commented negatively on the video. I thought I was being humorous, in the same way that Bobby was, in my attempt to do tit for tat. Perhaps that doesn't translate for New Yorkers. Somehow, my comment was rude but Bobby's was not? Yes, there appears to be a culture clash of some kind but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's that you can make fun of people as long as you keep it general, but it's not ok to get too specific or pointed.

Hmm. I dunno. I thought I responded to Bobby's comment in the same vein - sarcasm and teasing. If my comment was angry, then Bobby's was the same. I thought Bobby's comment was kind of nasty as a way of making fun of people who commented negatively on the video. I thought I was being humorous, in the same way that Bobby was, in my attempt to do tit for tat. Perhaps that doesn't translate for New Yorkers. Somehow, my comment was rude but Bobby's was not? Yes, there appears to be a culture clash of some kind but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's that you can make fun of people as long as you keep it general, but it's not ok to get too specific or pointed.

This is a whole different topic, and we've hit on it once or twice elsewhere, but: no. There is an art to East Coast-style teasing. It's just something you grow up with. And it's the hardest thing to get used to for east coasters moving to CA (and vice versa I would guess).

Anyway, reading through the lines of your post, I do think that's what was in play. It sounded nasty to you, and you were moved to respond in kind. Can we chalk it up to miscommunication and the cost of good intentions, and go back to bashing X-stands and arguing about how crappy prog rock is? Because it really is incredibly crappy.

www.joshweinstein.com

I think her appeal is she's a cute young woman who is a darn good piano player. What's not to like about that? She's using that to her advantage, as she should.

I don't find any kind of "soul" in her playing at all. You can't really teach that, though if you have some, you can improve on it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

There is an art to East Coast-style teasing. It's just something you grow up with. And it's the hardest thing to get used to for east coasters moving to CA (and vice versa I would guess).

You're right. It has been discussed here before, and there definitely is an art to East Coast ball busting. What I find interesting is that after 40 years in SoCal (Boston transplant), I've lost that rapier touch. When back in NY say, I have to take a breath and not get offended by harmless remarks that sound rude to my west coast ears, but to Easterners is as natural as breathing. By the same token when I try to respond in kind, it comes off as snarky, awkward, and humorless. Just out of practice apparently.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived